OT - Oregon voting

Old October 13th 04, 09:20 PM
The DaveŠ

Default OT - Oregon voting

I know that several people in this group live in Oregon. Just curious,
but how do you like (or, not like) Oregon's voting-by-mail concept?

--
I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to
go chase it.

Old October 14th 04, 01:16 AM
Tracy

I like it. It is much more convenient to sit down when I have the time to
vote, then stand in lines during a given period of time.

Tracy
~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/

news

Old October 14th 04, 01:42 AM
Bob Whiteside

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
news
I know that several people in this group live in Oregon. Just curious,
but how do you like (or, not like) Oregon's voting-by-mail concept?

Administration of the law is full of loopholes. A few a

1.) Voting before the election date is done without full knowledge of any
late breaking information.
2.) Thousands of voters don't use the system and show up at the county
election headquarters and ask for ballots on election day. These people
vote without an verification they have already voted on a ballot mailed to
an address in another county. There is no way for the election officials to
catch people who vote more than once in more than one county.
3.) The late press of individuals showing up at election headquarters
causes the voting at those locations to extend beyond the normal poll
closing time, a clear violation of election law.
4.) Election officials open the mailing envelopes as they are received and
presort them for later counting. The election officials provide voter
turnout information to political campaigns who use the data to target "get
out the vote" efforts.
5.) Ballots are tossed out for technicalities and the voters do not know
their ballots were not counted until after the election.
6.) Oregon's double majority, requiring over 50% of the vote and more than
50% of the registered voters voting on tax votes, is manipulated after the
election officials to create the double majority. Non-voters are purged
from the voter rolls after the election takes place to make it appear over
50% of the registered voters actually voted through a BS recalculation of
registered voters.
7.) Vote counting is slowed down because ballots can be hand-delivered to
any county election office, and the ballots need to be re-mailed to the
correct election office after the election. In the last general election
Oregon was one of the very last states to certify the election results.
8.) Voter envelopes show party designations and other codes on the outside
that can be simultaneously used to profile voters and cause election
officials to "lose" ballots. Oregon has a huge 7% under vote rate which is
remarkable considering the system is supposed to be easier.

Old October 15th 04, 05:28 PM
The DaveŠ

Tracy wrote:
I like it. It is much more convenient to sit down when I have the
time to vote, then stand in lines during a given period of time.

I think I would like it, too. Although, there is something about going
down to the pols and casting my ballot in an official atmosphere. I
live in a very small town, so waiting lines aren't an issue.

Old October 15th 04, 05:28 PM
The DaveŠ

Bob Whiteside wrote:
I know that several people in this group live in Oregon. Just
curious, but how do you like (or, not like) Oregon's voting-by-mail
concept?

Administration of the law is full of loopholes. A few a

1.) Voting before the election date is done without full knowledge
of any late breaking information.

That part wouldn't concern me, as I see the vast majority of late
information as nothing more than slimey scare tactics quite often
without substance. Or, orchestrated in such a way that the other
person doesn't have time to properly respond. In fact, it might even
produce a tad more honesty in elections because neither side would be
able to pull off smear campaigns in the last days because there would
be no last days as we know them now.

[...]

Sounds to me like they need to tighten up the process a bit, then
actually enforce it. I'm all for the right to vote, but I have no
sympathy for those who cannot or will not follow simple directions.

Old October 16th 04, 06:22 AM
Mel Gamble

oregun has a few pluses and a lot of minuses. Our secretary of state -
bill bradbury - is better at writing fiction than Ray Bradbury was...he
is solely responsible for disenfranchising several thousand voters in
order to keep Nader off the ballot. And the circus court backed him on
it....

Mel Gamble