What sound do zebras make?

Old October 11th 03, 11:33 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default What sound do zebras make?

Evan (2.5yo) wants to know what sound zebras make. I have no idea!
I guessed they might make a sound similar to a horse. Anyone know?
I tired askJeeves and found a sound file but I couldn't play it.

--Robyn

Old October 12th 03, 12:36 AM
Alicia

Hi Robyn, it's actually quite a bit like a chirping sound. Very musical and
high pitched, not like the neigh of a horse. If I were to hear them without
knowing what animal it was, I would assume it was a bird of some kind rather
than a horse-like animal. Hmmm, that's tough. : ) Try googling 'zebra
sound effect" or 'zebra wav', that might bring up something.
-Alicia

Old October 12th 03, 12:36 AM
H Schinske

"Sounds
Zebras, when alarmed, produce a snorting sound and gasp with their mouth open.
When they are captured or injured by a predator they sound a squeal. They
neigh similar to horses while browsing and grazing."

http://www.choiceswild.com/wildlife/zebra2.htm

I googled [zebras sound neigh].

--Helen (posted and emailed)

Old October 12th 03, 09:59 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Robyn Kozierok wrote:
Evan (2.5yo) wants to know what sound zebras make. I have no idea!
I guessed they might make a sound similar to a horse. Anyone know?
I tired askJeeves and found a sound file but I couldn't play it.

I finally managed to play the sound on a different browser. For
those interested: http://tinyurl.com/qnld

It doesn't sound very horse-like to me, more like something between
a bird and a pig. I don't know whether the recorded sound was an alarmed
sound or what.

The sound available here sounds like a high-pitched bark:
http://www.junglewalk.com/popup.asp?...alAudioID=6064

And there's another one he
http://www.junglewalk.com/popup.asp?...lAudioID=11007

Quite surprising! :-)