Spelling

Old November 30th 09, 08:05 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

Default Spelling

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
My niece is considering sending her child to private school because
they don't have spelling in the her son's class. The reason given is
that some people in the class are not native English speakers. Does
that reason make sense to anyone? It doesn't to me.

It doesn't make sense. I don't think you'll convince the school that,
though.

Of all children who need to learn how to spell, it would be the non-native
speakers, since they likely have little exposure to writing English at home.
If they don't learn it at home and at school, where would they learn it?

Old November 30th 09, 12:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Rosalie B. wrote:
My niece is considering sending her child to private school because
they don't have spelling in the her son's class. The reason given is
that some people in the class are not native English speakers. Does
that reason make sense to anyone? It doesn't to me.

I never learned to spell until I learned to type because up to then I
didn't read the individual letters in the word (I was taught the whole
word method rather than phonics). But with all the texting etc that
goes on, spelling seems to be almost irrelevant.

My sister (whose grandchild this is), is a newspaper editor and she is
mentoring a freshman student at one of the Ivy League schools. She
says he has several times he has misspelled a word (college) but in
misspelling it, he has spelled another word correctly (collage), and
of course a spell checker doesn't pick that up. She asked if
spelling was just not taught anymore.

My 2nd-grader is taught spelling as part of vocabulary lessons. That
is, he doesn't just get a list of words to spell. Most weeks, he's
assigned a few pages in a vocabulary workbook - each lesson focuses on
10 words. There's always a short reading comprehension piece that
includes all the words; then there are activities like answering a few
questions about the story; a crossword puzzle or word search; questions
like "Which of these 4 words doesn't fit with the others?" At the end
of the week, he gets a spelling test on those 10 words. If he turns in
written work with a misspelled word, the teacher notes it - at this age,
it doesn't matter from a grade standpoint, though.

Clisby

Need grammar, spelling help Tori M[_2_] General 33 August 25th 07 05:38 AM
Tori Spelling pregnant Wee Bit Strange Pregnancy 3 November 26th 06 06:29 PM
Tori Spelling pregnant Geek the Girl Pregnancy 0 July 21st 06 03:30 PM
Spelling ? Fer Pregnancy 23 March 7th 04 03:35 AM
CTTS: 2.5yo "spelling" Robyn Kozierok General (moderated) 11 October 21st 03 02:31 AM