Man gets 22 years in prison for beating foster child to death

Old August 20th 07, 05:42 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default Man gets 22 years in prison for beating foster child to death

Man gets 22 years in prison for beating foster child to death

Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers
Posted August 19, 2007

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbc.../70819048/1979

JUNEAU — Beth Kiningham and Ashley Mundt share a heartbreaking bond:
Both women have lost their sons – one to the correctional system and the
other to an early grave.

Sitting across the aisle from Mundt in a packed courtroom Friday in
Dodge County, Kiningham dabbed her eyes as her son, Shane Marquardt, was
sentenced to prison for the beating death of Mundt's 3-year-old son,
Camron Gardner.

"Last Christmas, I missed my son because he wasn't here," Kiningham told
Mundt from the stand, "but I know you miss your son more. Sometimes I
feel like I lost my son, but he's still alive."

Dodge County Circuit Court Judge Andrew Bissonnette sentenced Marquardt
to 22 years in prison, followed by 18 years of extended supervision for
delivering the fatal blows that claimed the life of the Beaver Dam
toddler. Charges against Marquardt for first-degree reckless injury for
severely injuring Camron's then-2-year-old brother, Ethan Schwartz, were
dismissed and read into the record as part of a plea bargain agreement
with Marquardt's attorney, Mary Lou Robinson.

The Waupun man was found guilty earlier this year of punching his foster
children, Camron and his younger brother, Ethan, in the stomach after he
flew into a rage upon discovering that the older child had vomited in
his bed.

A trust betrayed

"You volunteered for this job and were paid to protect these children,"
District Attorney Steve Bauer told Marquardt during the sentencing
proceeding. "Unlike a biological father, you had a lot of resources. You
could have said ultimately that you had enough and didn't want the kids
anymore and Social Services would have been out there that day and the
kids would have been gone."

Robinson said Marquardt's life had been in a downward spiral long before
the beating death of Camron on May 5, 2006. A battle with testicular
cancer, loss of employment and tightening finances were blamed for
pushing Marquardt to the breaking point.

"He was a desperately sad and broken man," said Robinson, who attributed
the fatal beating to a psychotic episode experienced by her client.

Broken lives

Holding the large punching bag that hung in the basement at Marquardt's
home, Bauer described how Marquardt confessed to lining the two small
boys up in front of him and punching each of them in the stomach with
his fist as hard as the 32-year-old pummeled the sturdy bag.

Camron's great-grandmother Pat Cramer said the images of the toddler's
last minutes of life continue to haunt her.

"Every time I think of the torture he and Ethan went through, I am so
filled with anguish," Cramer said.

Pointing a finger at him, Sarah Thompson accused Marquardt of denying
her young cousin, Camron, the chance to survive.

"You could have called for help. You could have told the truth but you
didn't," Thompson said. "You deliberately took him from us and I hope
you see him every time you close your eyes and remember what you did to
him."

Minutes after the beating, Camron began showing symptoms of distress.
Only when the child began losing consciousness did Marquardt phone for
help, according to court records.

"It bothers me that Shane did nothing to help," said Marquardt's
ex-father-in-law, Dan Gitzel. "If he had, Camron would have had a
chance. By not saying anything, he had no chance at all."

After attempts by emergency room staff at Waupun Memorial Hospital
failed to revive Camron, Ethan began displaying the same symptoms as his
brother. Still, Marquardt said nothing.

"Not only does he watch one child die, he's starting to watch the other
one die and he still doesn't step up to the plate and take
responsibility for his actions," Bauer said. "In his attempt to cover up
his actions, he delayed proper medical care."

The pain goes on

Wearing a shirt bearing an image of a grinning Camron, Tabitha Orley
spoke on behalf of her sister, Ashley Mundt.

"In a week, Camron would have turned 5. Now he'll never go to school or
make friends," Orley said. "And Ethan isn't the same anymore. He still
cries for his brother. When it rains out, he puts a blanket outside for
Camron or releases balloons up into the sky for his big brother. He'll
never see his brother again. All he can do is visit Camron's rock
(gravestone)."

Prior to addressing the court, Marquardt asked if he could read a letter
he has sent to Camron's mother. Mundt, who has refused the letter, stood
up and left the courtroom.

"I've hurt a lot of people by taking the life of a little boy that
everyone loved so much. I hate myself for it and it tears me up every
day. I can never tell you enough how sorry I am as I look at your
pain-filled faces," said Marquardt, looking towards the victim's family
members, who refused to make eye contact. "I live in shame every day. I
know my actions were violent and horribly selfish. I can only face
myself with shame and self-hatred."

Justice for Camron

Taking Marquardt's prior clean record into account, Judge Bissonnette
challenged Marquardt to move forward with his life.

"When I send someone to prison like you, I don't intend to write you off
or warehouse you. I expect you to continue to use your God-given gifts
whether you're in prison or on the street," Bissonnette said.

Robinson argued that a lengthy prison sentence would not serve to
assuage the grief of the victim's family nor her client.

"There's no reason he couldn't be on probation the rest of his life and
pay restitution from his income indefinitely," said Robinson, drawing an
audible gasp from the Gardner family.

"How can anybody kill someone and not expect to get any time," said
great-aunt Sandy Arneson with an incredulous look.

Bauer, who recommended the maximum penalty of 40 years in prison, said
Robinson's recommendation was "ridiculous."

"My recommendation was more in line with reality, although I feel the
sentence handed down today was appropriate," Bauer said. "You have to
remember the young child. Mr. Marquardt will be out and still have a
life at age 55. Camron will never have a life. He will always be 3
years, 7 months and 12 days old."

Filed by the Fond du Lac Reporter

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NSA / CIA
WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

*Perpetrators of Maltreatment*

Physical Abuse CPS 160, Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS 112, Parents 13
Neglect CPS 410, Parents 241
Medical Neglect CPS 14 Parents 12
Fatalities CPS 6.4, Parents 1.5

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, HAPPILY DESTROYING HUNDREDS OF INNOCENT
FAMILIES YEARLY NATIONWIDE AND COMING TO YOU'RE HOME SOON...

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...