Family Calendar management

Old April 4th 07, 10:24 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Claire[_2_]

Default Family Calendar management

I was wondering how people manage family calendars. I can put things
on my husband's home calendar with my work calendar, but his home and
work calendars are separate. The girls maintain paper calendars to
track their own lessons and homework.

Lately, what seems to be working for us is to have an excel
spreadsheet up on google's spreadsheet sharing system, accessible by
all family members. The spreadsheet is a monthly calendar. In it are
things like my business trips, my husband's professional classes, the
kids' lessons and rehearsals, etc. It means I have to re-enter
everything from Outlook, but that's the way that goes.

How are you tracking this sort of thing these days? A big piece of
paper in the kitchen? Electronically? Mom's head?

Warm Regards,

Claire
See the books I've set free at:

Old April 5th 07, 01:23 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Claire wrote:

How are you tracking this sort of thing these days? A big piece of
paper in the kitchen? Electronically? Mom's head?

The big calendar in the kitchen works for us.
The low tech approach is the only thing that others in
the family will use consistently.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 5th 07, 03:51 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
[email protected]

We have a really big calendar on the fridge door in the kitchen for
the family, and all the appointments, key dates, school stuff, lessons
etc. go on as soon as we know about them. I don't normally put all my
work stuff on it - only the things that will impact the family, like
me having to be away in the evening or overnight etc.

This is the product we've been using for a couple of years. We like it
because its big (we have the 12x17 one, but they make a 20x30
version), its basic, lots of room to write things on every day (we
have three kids and there is LOTS to track).

http://www.ataglance.com/webapp/wcs/...alse_10052#%23

This company makes lots of variations on the theme. Worth buying if
you ask me. Its like the nerve center of the house.

Old April 5th 07, 07:33 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Penny Gaines

Claire wrote:
I was wondering how people manage family calendars. I can put things
on my husband's home calendar with my work calendar, but his home and
work calendars are separate. The girls maintain paper calendars to
track their own lessons and homework.

[snip]

We use a dodo pad diary near the phone. It is a weekly planner type,
with a column for each family member and space opposite for notes
eg addresses of the place we are going to.

http://www.dodopad.com/pages/howto.htm

Dh's work stuff goes in his work diary, and is only put in the family
diary if it involves an overnight stay, or impacts the family in a big way.

Do other people keep their calender/diaries at the end of the year?
I feel I ought to so that in years to come they could be part of a
family history, but enough doesn't get in them that I think it wouldn't
show the whole picture. They do get thrown out, although not immediately.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old April 5th 07, 07:33 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Sue

"Claire" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was wondering how people manage family calendars.

One big calendar on the fridge is what we do. Works for us. I update it
every month and I can add or take away things if needed.

Sue

Old April 5th 07, 07:33 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Chookie

In article . com,
"Claire" wrote:

How are you tracking this sort of thing these days? A big piece of
paper in the kitchen? Electronically? Mom's head?

MY computer calendar (which synchs with my Palm) is THE CALENDAR. If it isn't
in THE CALENDAR, it isn't happening. DH does of course have a diary for work,
but my diary tracks all engagements that impinge on family life (eg, his
evening meetings).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Old April 5th 07, 08:51 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
toypup

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:33:48 EDT, Chookie wrote:

In article . com,
"Claire" wrote:

How are you tracking this sort of thing these days? A big piece of
paper in the kitchen? Electronically? Mom's head?

MY computer calendar (which synchs with my Palm) is THE CALENDAR. If it isn't
in THE CALENDAR, it isn't happening. DH does of course have a diary for work,
but my diary tracks all engagements that impinge on family life (eg, his
evening meetings).

LOL. My Palm is my brain. When they break, I am lost.

Old April 5th 07, 08:52 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Irene

On Apr 4, 4:24 pm, "Claire" wrote:

How are you tracking this sort of thing these days? A big piece of
paper in the kitchen? Electronically? Mom's head?

A combination of things. Since dh and I have our own company,
personal and work plans tend to overlap, so I try to get most things
in the office Outlook calendar. I also have a paper schoolyear
calendar that goes with me in my purse (a first for this year!)
because I was tired of not being able to know what was going on when I
didn't have computer access. (Our database is so big that syncing
with a Palm takes too long to be practical). We also have a calendar
on the wall in the kitchen, but not much goes on there. (This year,
it is the one ds makes in kindy each month). We do post invitations
and such on the bulletin board in the kitchen, too. Since ds is only
in kindy, he doesn't track his own stuff yet, but I'm sure that will
be coming.

Old April 5th 07, 08:52 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
[email protected]

On Apr 4, 5:24 pm, "Claire" wrote:

How are you tracking this sort of thing these days? A big piece of
paper in the kitchen? Electronically? Mom's head?

Everything goes on my work calendar (Outlook). Since I work from home,
I have easy access to my work calendar at home. No one else can see/
write to it, but I just put everything in my calendar and remind
people of the things they need to remember. Everyone in the family
seems to be happy for me to be the "keeper of the calendar" for now
and they don't mind that they can't access it directly. They just ask
me. Sometimes the PM me from another computer in the house. ;-)

I like using a computerized calendar program because I need those
little reminders that pop up to remind me of what I need to do.
Otherwise I can get engrossed in my work and forget to do things. It
is useful to have my personal appointments on my work calendar so that
people can easily tell when I am really free. (They can't see the
content.) If it's someone else's appointment and I don't have to take
them, then I can still set it so that I show up as available at that
time.

When my company used MeetingMaker I used to sync regularly to my palm,
but it's messier with outlook (since I want to keep my Palm sync for
other applications) so I don't do it much anymore. Since I'm at my
computer most of the time when reminders pop up, I don't need the
portable version as much anymore, and I usually just take the old-
fashioned appointment cards from doctors etc. until I enter it into
Outlook.

--Robyn

Old April 6th 07, 02:25 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Laura Faussone

Claire wrote:

How are you tracking this sort of thing these days? A big piece of
paper in the kitchen? Electronically? Mom's head?

I put out-of-the-ordinary events and reminders on the paper
calendar in the kitchen -- it's from the school, so it has all of
the school holidays already on it. I put *everything* on my PDA,
especially weekly/repeating events (with alarms).

Laura