1 yr old tantrums

Old April 13th 05, 02:24 PM
ChitaShines

Default 1 yr old tantrums

My 1 yr old DD has recently been throwing what we think are tantrums. Not
every night, but on some nights when she's put into her crib after her
bottle, she screams at the top of her lungs. It sounds like a tantrum.
Last night she did it and we let her go. After about 20 minutes, she
settled down and fell asleep so we knew it wasn't anything like needing more
milk, dirty diaper, gas, etc. Now just this morning after her breakfast, I
put her into her playard to play and again she was screaming at the top of
her lungs. After a bit of time, she got engaged in her toys and settled
down.

Is this what to expect from 1 year olds? How long does it last? How do you
deal with it? My train of thought in dealing with it is to just let her go.
I don't say anything to her, but just go about my business while she
screams. Is this ok to do? My husband is not that quiet about it. This
morning he was saying to her "Hey, hey!" but I told him to just let her go.
Later on when she wouldn't settle down, he told her that she has to deal
with it. My thought is to not just say anything at all.

Old April 13th 05, 02:30 PM
Sue

"ChitaShines" wrote in message
. com...
My 1 yr old DD has recently been throwing what we think are tantrums. Not
every night, but on some nights when she's put into her crib after her
bottle, she screams at the top of her lungs. It sounds like a tantrum.
Last night she did it and we let her go. After about 20 minutes, she
settled down and fell asleep so we knew it wasn't anything like needing

more
milk, dirty diaper, gas, etc. Now just this morning after her breakfast,

put her into her playard to play and again she was screaming at the top of
her lungs. After a bit of time, she got engaged in her toys and settled
down.

Perhaps she is not liking being put into something without being able to
crawl around. Do you let her crawl around on the floor without being in the
play-yard? Crying may be her way of telling you she needs more freedom to
explore about the room. If she is unable to see you during the day, she
might be protesting. Childproof as necessary and let her go. At one year, I
don't think I would just ignore it. If she were older, I would, but not at
this age. For the crib at night, I would have a routine and put her down, if
she does cry I might rub her back and talk with her, but I'm not sure I
would leave her to cryx for very long. But, at the same time, she will learn
to fall asleep on her own (and I think this is a skill that needs to be
learned, others will disagree)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old April 13th 05, 05:27 PM
toto

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:24:57 GMT, "ChitaShines"
wrote:

My 1 yr old DD has recently been throwing what we think are tantrums. Not
every night, but on some nights when she's put into her crib after her
bottle, she screams at the top of her lungs. It sounds like a tantrum.
Last night she did it and we let her go. After about 20 minutes, she
settled down and fell asleep so we knew it wasn't anything like needing more
milk, dirty diaper, gas, etc. Now just this morning after her breakfast, I
put her into her playard to play and again she was screaming at the top of
her lungs. After a bit of time, she got engaged in her toys and settled
down.

I don't think this is a *tantrum* really. Some children need to let
off steam before going to sleep *especially* if they are overtired.

Also, she might be teething. My 1 year old dgs is teething and
wants to be held at bedtime because of it. He doesn't scream
at bedtime though only whines and cries.

Is this what to expect from 1 year olds? How long does it last? How do you
deal with it? My train of thought in dealing with it is to just let her go.
I don't say anything to her, but just go about my business while she
screams. Is this ok to do? My husband is not that quiet about it. This
morning he was saying to her "Hey, hey!" but I told him to just let her go.
Later on when she wouldn't settle down, he told her that she has to deal
with it. My thought is to not just say anything at all.

This kind of screaming may just be playing with her voice. I think
this is a phase that many kids go through. Does it sound *happy*
or *angry?* My dgs also does this when he is playing and it seems
to be just making noise for the sake of making noise.

I would agree that you probably don't need to say anything when it
is happening.

One thing here. Perhaps the playyard has become too confining.
Can she explore the house more? How long do you leave her in
the playyard? At this age, they want to be mobile and exploring
so it may be that she's bored of the toys and wants out to play in a
bigger world now.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old April 13th 05, 09:23 PM
Irene

toto wrote:

This kind of screaming may just be playing with her voice. I think
this is a phase that many kids go through. Does it sound *happy*
or *angry?* My dgs also does this when he is playing and it seems
to be just making noise for the sake of making noise.

I'm not sure if this is what's going on, but I will say that my 1 year
old likes to shriek. At first, I didn't do anything about it other
than commenting "Too loud - that hurts Mommy's ears!", because I
figured she was just trying out the sound. But, it's been going on for
a few months now (starting around 9 months?). Amazingly enough, if I
tell her, "Use your words - can you say 'mamamama'?" it usually works
and she starts vocalizing syllables instead of shrieking.

Irene

Old April 16th 05, 02:39 AM
Catherine Woodgold

Maybe she doesn't like being put in a crib or a playyard.
Maybe she would prefer to be held, or to be allowed to
crawl around. Her crying may be her way of telling you
"I object. I don't want to be confined. And I'm
lonely and bored. I need attention from a human being."
Many young children feel that way.

Some parents deal with this by picking the child up and
carrying the child around. My mother remembers doing
laundry with a baby under one arm, and I did the same.
Many parents put the baby in a sling or backpack while
doing stuff around the house. I read that the more time
a mother spends carrying her baby, the more she comes to
enjoy doing it. That seemed to agree with my experience.
It's cuddly and friendly to carry a baby around.

Not all babies are left alone in a crib to sleep.
Some fall asleep in a parent's arms and are very
gently laid down without waking. Some sleep with
their parents. Some go to sleep while their backs
are being rubbed. Etc. Humans have a strong
instinct against being left alone when small and
helpless because they would have been eaten by
predators in the jungle.

It sounds to me that she's giving you a clear message that
she would very much prefer different sleeping and playing
arrangements from what's being offered.
--
Cathy
A *much* better world is possible.

Tantrums!!! Cathy Weeks General 86 November 24th 04 11:01 PM
How to Handle Your Child's Tantrums Gary Hendricks General 1 September 27th 04 09:42 PM
Tantrums. Kelly heglin General (moderated) 12 May 3rd 04 03:25 AM
Kane keeps promise....belatedly Kane Spanking 2 January 2nd 04 02:42 PM
Define the "Terrible Twos" for me? Jim Beaver General 78 December 5th 03 09:40 PM