4 Year Old Girl Stutters

Old April 15th 05, 08:18 PM
Billy

Default 4 Year Old Girl Stutters

Is it normal for a 4 year old to stutter? She does it only sometimes. It's
like she is repeating the words a few times over every now and then rather
than echoing them.

Old April 15th 05, 08:28 PM
Nikki

Billy wrote:
Is it normal for a 4 year old to stutter? She does it only sometimes.
It's like she is repeating the words a few times over every now and
then rather than echoing them.

When my son did that they called it place holding and there was one other
term I can't remember. I was told it was normal and that it happened when a
child's brain was moving faster then they could manage to get the words out.
They said stuttering was getting stuck on the first sound. So saying "I
threw the ball ball ball ball over the fence." is place holding and not to
be concerned. 'I threw the bbbbbbball over the ffffffence." is stuttering.
If she did that a lot I might mention it to the doctor. Hunter would also
frequently go "I threw the ball, threw the ball, threw the ball, threw the
ball over the fence." I could barely make sense of what he was saying half
the time he did it so much and when he was evaluated that wasn't even a
concern they had...and it did go away.

--
Nikki

Old April 15th 05, 09:00 PM
Donna

"Nikki" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
[...]

I'm so glad you posted this, Nikki. My daughter has been (apparently)
placeholding lately (I thought it was stuttering, but it's absolutely what
you describe above), and I was about to call her ped about it.

Thanks!

Donna

Old April 15th 05, 09:16 PM
Peggy

"Nikki" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
[...]

Do you know what it's called when the speaker very quietly repeats the last
2-3 words and usually doesn't realize he's doing it? My husband does that,
usually when he's telling me something funny.
~Peggy

Old April 15th 05, 10:09 PM
Donna

"Peggy" wrote in message

Do you know what it's called when the speaker very quietly repeats the
last
2-3 words and usually doesn't realize he's doing it? My husband does
that,
usually when he's telling me something funny.

I think that's echolalia.

....Or absentmindedness.

Donna

Old April 16th 05, 02:53 AM
Billy

My wife says she does the "threw the bbbbbbball over the ffffffence". I
guess we should check it out with the doctor.

Old April 16th 05, 04:42 AM
Nikki

Billy wrote:
My wife says she does the "threw the bbbbbbball over the ffffffence".
I guess we should check it out with the doctor.

I wouldn't be overly concerned at her age but I would get it checked out
just in case.

Good luck!

--
Nikki

Old April 16th 05, 04:45 AM
Nikki

Donna wrote:
"Peggy" wrote in message

Do you know what it's called when the speaker very quietly repeats
the last
2-3 words and usually doesn't realize he's doing it? My husband does
that,
usually when he's telling me something funny.

I think that's echolalia.

...Or absentmindedness.

Echolalia is typically when someone repeats something someone else said.
Some echolalia is more of a verbal tic associated with tourettes. I'm not
sure if repeating oneself would be echolalia or not?

--
Nikki

Old April 16th 05, 11:37 AM
Donna

"Nikki" wrote in message
Donna wrote:
"Peggy" wrote in message

Do you know what it's called when the speaker very quietly repeats
the last
2-3 words and usually doesn't realize he's doing it? My husband does
that,
usually when he's telling me something funny.

I think that's echolalia.

...Or absentmindedness.

Echolalia is typically when someone repeats something someone else said.
Some echolalia is more of a verbal tic associated with tourettes. I'm not
sure if repeating oneself would be echolalia or not?

Oh, he's repeating *himself*? Ah. I missed that. So no, you're right.
Probably not echolalia.

I don't know, Nikki. But if it's more than simply a habit, maybe he should
bring it up at his next physical?

Donna

Old April 16th 05, 11:47 AM
Donna

"Nikki" wrote in message
Donna wrote:
"Peggy" wrote in message

Do you know what it's called when the speaker very quietly repeats
the last
2-3 words and usually doesn't realize he's doing it? My husband does
that,
usually when he's telling me something funny.

I think that's echolalia.

...Or absentmindedness.

Echolalia is typically when someone repeats something someone else said.
Some echolalia is more of a verbal tic associated with tourettes. I'm not
sure if repeating oneself would be echolalia or not?

Follow up post --

I'm sure it's nothing more than a habit, Nikki, but you might want to give
an MD a call. I just did some quick research, and apparently there are some
neurological syndromes/diseases that are associated with pallilia (that's
what repeating oneself is called, apparently. Learn something new every
day.), that are probably worth evaluating him for, just to be on the safe
side. But I'm guessing this is nothing more than a simple habit that he's
unaware of.

Donna