parents of pregnant 16 year old daughter in michigan

Old September 3rd 06, 05:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
shari

Default parents of pregnant 16 year old daughter in michigan

can someone tell me , if the parents of a pregnant 16 year old teen are
responsible for her and the baby after the baby is born?

Old September 3rd 06, 05:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nan

On 3 Sep 2006 09:27:59 -0700, "shari"
wrote:

can someone tell me , if the parents of a pregnant 16 year old teen are
responsible for her and the baby after the baby is born?

Your best bet would be to check with a Legal Aid office. They can
help you with legal issues if you have little or no income.

Nan

Old September 3rd 06, 06:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
shari

my question is, can i make her ( 16 year old daughter and baby)move
out after the baby is born...or am I ( the parent) still legally
responsible for both my daughter AND baby

Old September 3rd 06, 06:51 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"shari" wrote in message
ups.com...
my question is, can i make her ( 16 year old daughter and baby)move
out after the baby is born...or am I ( the parent) still legally
responsible for both my daughter AND baby

No idea about Michigan...
Here you can legally kick your child out at 15, but you are still legally
responsible for that child.
At 16, they can legally move out or be made to move out. You would not be
responsible for her child, as that is her child, not yours.
Check with legal aid or something in your area. Social services would know
as well, I'm sure, as far as how things work in your area.

Old September 3rd 06, 09:48 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nan

On 3 Sep 2006 10:26:12 -0700, "shari"
wrote:

my question is, can i make her ( 16 year old daughter and baby)move
out after the baby is born...or am I ( the parent) still legally
responsible for both my daughter AND baby

It's probably not a question you'll get an answer to, on a newsgroup.
You need to talk with someone versed in Michigan family law.

My uneducated *guess* is that you won't be legally responsible for the
baby, but I have no idea as to if you'd be legally responsible for
your daughter.

Instead of trying to find out if you can kick them out, why not
research ways you can help your daughter and grandchild so they won't
be dependent on others?

Nan
Old September 4th 06, 01:49 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Marie

"shari" wrote in message
ups.com...
my question is, can i make her ( 16 year old daughter and baby)move
out after the baby is born...or am I ( the parent) still legally
responsible for both my daughter AND baby

Maybe you both need counseling if you are looking at kicking her out and
worrying if you're responsible for them both.
Marie

Old September 4th 06, 02:30 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
shari

you guys dont have a daughter who thinks everyone should quit their
jobs to raise her kid she wont even get a job. she claims NO rules
apply to her...so before you start to preach to me about "counseling"
maybe you should know more facts. this is a situation way beyond the
counseling stage. she needs to be out on her own. thats why im trying
to find out this information.
Marie wrote:
ups.com...

Old September 4th 06, 04:13 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"shari" wrote in message
oups.com...
you guys dont have a daughter who thinks everyone should quit their
jobs to raise her kid she wont even get a job. she claims NO rules
apply to her...so before you start to preach to me about "counseling"
maybe you should know more facts. this is a situation way beyond the
counseling stage. she needs to be out on her own. thats why im trying
to find out this information.

No, I don't have a 16 year old daughter at all.
I *was* your 16 year old daughter, although I didn't have the attitude that
you just said your daughter has.
Maybe you should give more facts and info.
If she wants to lay down and make babies, then so be it. If she thinks
she's a big enough girl to make babies and live with her decisions, then she
needs to do just that. If she's living in La-La Land, maybe she does need a
good shove into the Real World. Call around and get info from your area.
No one, it seems, is from the Michigan area (at least, no one has come
forward with solid info on how it works in Michigan.)
If I were you, I would call child social services, or whatever it is in your
area. My mom had booted me out of her house and sent me to foster care,
where I had lived for *maybe* 5ish months. I was pg with DS1, 15 and
shortly after he was born, I was out of the foster home and I had my own
place out of the system. Sure, I was still in school at this time, which
was far more important to finish school, on gov't assistance, to allow me to
get a real job rather than working some lousy dead end job that just doesn't
pay any bills. I did what I had to do, my parents did what they had to do.
Now mine are 6.5, 5.5 and 1 - wow, I feel old!
Your daughter may need a swift kick in the rear to make her open up her
eyes. If she has a really crappy attitude, find ways to help her, not
condemn her. Kick her out, but see if there's something like a foster home
you can go to - foster care won't make you a bad parent. My mom is a child
welfare supervisor and she did what she had to do for me, and also for the
family. I really don't think I would be here today if she didn't do what
she did. She helped me find support to live, go to school, work, be a good,
responsible parent, and at an age where I should have been out acting like a
foolish teenager. Things change by decisions we make - your daughter seemed
to have made the decision to play house. Now what?
No, I'm not attacking you or anything along those lines. Find a way to have
her in the real world. It's time she opens her eyes and sees that the real
world isn't how she's currently seeing it. If you're done raising your
children, finished with raising babies, make that clear that you will NOT
raise her child - your grandchild - but offer any support she may want or
need, even what she doesn't think she wants or needs. Be a grandma to your
grandchild, not a parent. That's not your place. Your place, as a grandma,
is to have your daughter and grandchild visit and have fun. You can offer a
hand - offer to help her find somewhere to live, find schooling or a job,
find childcare when that time comes, help her with housework, laundry,
cooking - help her learn, I should say - and offer to be a babysitter on
occasion for her to have a break, if that's what you want. Don't offer to
raise her child if that's not what you want. Find out what works in your
area.

Marie wrote:
ups.com...

Old September 4th 06, 04:52 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
shari

only reason why she got pregnant is because my 18 year old daughter did
and the 16 year old figured id kick out the 18 year old who helps pay
bills....she refuses to get a job and refuses to clean house ..i had to
pay her court fines ..for when she was put on probation for skipping
school and shes suppose to pay me back but she wont because she says
she dont have to do anything this is another reason why i want her to
move out when her kid is born because i cant pay for her and her
kid.plus she wants me to quit my job ..
xkatx wrote:
"shari" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Marie wrote:
ups.com...

Old September 4th 06, 07:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

shari wrote:
you guys dont have a daughter who thinks everyone should quit their
jobs to raise her kid she wont even get a job. she claims NO rules
apply to her...so before you start to preach to me about "counseling"
maybe you should know more facts. this is a situation way beyond the
counseling stage. she needs to be out on her own. thats why im trying
to find out this information.

Counseling doesn't necessarily mean that the counselor
will try to get you to take a different course of action. It
just means that you'll get some good advice as to how to do whatever
is best for yourself and your family, and will probably feel
better about whatever happens as a result. It might also help
you avoid some missteps along the way that you might later
regret. Clearly you're already aware that there might be
legal ramifications to the decision you're contemplating and
you're trying to make sure you don't shoot yourself in the
foot that way. What other pitfalls are out there? Someone
experienced with these sorts of issues might be able to help
you steer a better course than you could on your own.

Best wishes,
Ericka