great news!

Old January 26th 04, 07:45 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Default great news!

I went for another ultrasound today, just to make sure that things were,
in fact, OK. They are!! Yay! We actually got to see the heart beating
(I can't believe the definition they can get with ultrasound equipment -
I mean, I actually saw the little thing flapping away). It was measured
at 160bpm. The baby itself was measured at 24.6mm in length (I don't
know much beyond that - not sure how they took the measurement). Some
measurements indicated 9 weeks and some indicated 10 weeks. They gave
me an EDD of Aug 24, which would agree with the 10 week assessment.
Neato! That's one day after our anniversary! I know that I can't put
too much into that date, but it's still kind of fun. ;-)

This has all been such a ride. The story behind it is that I've had
strange, unexplained bleeding. Now, bleeding is not uncommon, but at
one point, I actually bled quite a bit (enough to fill a pad, probably,
or half or more of a tampon). It happened when I sat on the toilet - it
was like I had burst a hemorrhoid. It just poured out, like urine.
I've had this happen before with rectal hemorrhoids, so I thought it was
just another one of those. There was no pain, which was consistent with
a burst hemorrhoid (for me, anyway). However, when I checked, it was
clear that the blood was coming from my vagina. I thought that for sure
things were over, so I went to the hospital. The ultrasound showed that
I was indeed pregnant, and a subsequent betaHCG showed that it had not
aborted. Now, today, after two episodes of strange bleeding (the second
was not nearly as bad as the first, but both involved bright red blood),
things are normal. I realize that I'm still not out of the first
trimester, but I still can't help but to feel pretty good about these
results. I couldn't help but to tear up a bit during the ultrasound.
Hormones. ;-)

I had seen my dr about this bleeding not too long after I first went to
the hospital. He blabbered on about something that basically meant that
he figured it was probably some sort of burst vessel. I guess I've got
hemorrhoids in two places, now. ;-) Great. I hope that this won't
make for a really bloody birth, or something. I also hope that the
midwives will still take me. They said that they don't worry too much
about first trimester bleeding (they said that a lot of women experience
that), but the potential problem is that they had told me that they
weren't taking people who were due before Sep. I hope they'll let me in
anyway because it's so close, and I'll probably go over anyway.

Old January 26th 04, 08:16 PM
Carol Ann

: I went for another ultrasound today, just to make sure that things were,
: in fact, OK. They are!! Yay! We actually got to see the heart beating
: (I can't believe the definition they can get with ultrasound equipment -
: I mean, I actually saw the little thing flapping away). It was measured
: at 160bpm. The baby itself was measured at 24.6mm in length (I don't
: know much beyond that - not sure how they took the measurement). Some
: measurements indicated 9 weeks and some indicated 10 weeks. They gave
: me an EDD of Aug 24, which would agree with the 10 week assessment.
: Neato! That's one day after our anniversary! I know that I can't put
: too much into that date, but it's still kind of fun. ;-)

Congratulations, Vicky! I'm so glad to hear it!!! Wahoo!!

~Carol Ann
www.bestinatlanta.com/mybaby.html

Old January 26th 04, 08:30 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Carol Ann wrote:

: I went for another ultrasound today, just to make sure that things were,
: in fact, OK. They are!! Yay! We actually got to see the heart beating
: (I can't believe the definition they can get with ultrasound equipment -
: I mean, I actually saw the little thing flapping away). It was measured
: at 160bpm. The baby itself was measured at 24.6mm in length (I don't
: know much beyond that - not sure how they took the measurement). Some
: measurements indicated 9 weeks and some indicated 10 weeks. They gave
: me an EDD of Aug 24, which would agree with the 10 week assessment.
: Neato! That's one day after our anniversary! I know that I can't put
: too much into that date, but it's still kind of fun. ;-)

Congratulations, Vicky! I'm so glad to hear it!!! Wahoo!!

Thanks!

It's so exciting!

Old January 26th 04, 08:44 PM
Cam & Shane

Awsome news!! I hope it is all easy sailing from here on

Camille

Old January 26th 04, 08:45 PM
Donna

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
.. .
I went for another ultrasound today, just to make sure that things were,
in fact, OK. They are!! Yay!

Oh, good.

Donna

Old January 26th 04, 09:56 PM
Kat

Glad things are going so well! Awesome that you got an ultrasound and
enjoyed it! I had hemmoriods around my vaginal opening with my last
pregnancy, but then none of the burst. Did your doctor have anything else
to say about it, or have you found anything else out on your own? It sounds
peculair. Anyway, I hope you have a great and uneventful pregnancy! I also
hope you get the midwives, I loved mine with DD.
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and #2 EDD 02/01/04

Old January 27th 04, 04:11 AM
Jill

Vicky,

I am glad everything seems to be ok! That would worry me too. My doctor
makes it clear that bleeding can be perfectly normal but always needs to be
checked out, and doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. They also told
me once you hear the heartbeat the chance of anything happening goes way
down.

My baby's heartbeat was 160 bpm when I was that far along, too! At my last
appointment it was 140.

Good luck and hope things continue to go well!
Jill

Old January 27th 04, 04:39 AM
Sandi

[...]

Glad everything seems to be going well!

--
Sandi
Mommy to Abby, 3

Old January 27th 04, 03:07 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Kat wrote:

Glad things are going so well! Awesome that you got an ultrasound and
enjoyed it! I had hemmoriods around my vaginal opening with my last
pregnancy, but then none of the burst. Did your doctor have anything else
to say about it, or have you found anything else out on your own? It sounds

I haven't seen him yet. I go first thing next week. Normally all of
this stuff would be done in the same day, but they wanted another beta
HCG (which can be done quickly, but not if you have dozens of other
things to do, I guess). Besides, the U/S got done at the hospital
rather than my clinic (grrr - see below), so they set the appointment up
for another day so that everything would get a chance to be delivered to
his office in advance.

The grrrr, part... Because I had the first U/S done at the hospital,
they wanted the second one done there, too, so that it would be done by
the same people. I took the time to ask, yesterday, if they would tell
me the sex of the baby if I had to go back there for the 20 week U/S.
They said no, and that they won't even provide me with pics. I know
that the clinics are *not* like this, so I'm rather ticked. I will ask
to have the 20 week one done elsewhere. By then, I don't think it will
matter much anyway. This second one was a follow up on the first, but
the 20 week one will be separate, so I should be able to pick a clinic
that will tell me the sex and give me pics. ;-) (it's funny how some
places here will give you all sorts of info, yet some places won't.
Some places are so friendly that, for e.g., when I went in for an x-ray,
thinking I had a fracture, the radiologist told me I was fine. Other
places would keep a tight lip on that one. All so weird. I wish that
people would stop being afraid of lawsuits. For that matter, I wish
that people would stop suing for ludicrous amounts. It's not a huge
problem in Canada, but it's still enough of a problem to cause docs and
hospitals to come up with strange policies sometimes.)

Old January 27th 04, 03:11 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Jill wrote:

Vicky,

I am glad everything seems to be ok! That would worry me too. My doctor
makes it clear that bleeding can be perfectly normal but always needs to be
checked out, and doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. They also told
me once you hear the heartbeat the chance of anything happening goes way
down.

My baby's heartbeat was 160 bpm when I was that far along, too! At my last
appointment it was 140.

Yeah, I figure that with a heart rate bang on normal, things are going
well! There is some speculation (and evidence, too - I looked it up
yesterday) that lower heart rates are usually bad news.

Good luck and hope things continue to go well!

Thanks, and same to you!