A Parenting & kids forum. ParentingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ParentingBanter.com forum » misc.kids » General
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Reaching the Heights

Old June 13th 08, 07:11 AM

First recorded activity by ParentingBanter: Jun 2008
Default Reaching the Heights

In 1981, when Eugene Lang offered every student graduating from high school in his alma-mater, the full payment of college tuition fee, the results were unexpected. The drop out rates of the school dipped with 90% of the sixth graders graduating from high school, and 60% going to college. This remarkable accomplishment led to the creation of the ‘I Have a Dream’ Foundation, which has ever since expanded to more than sixty chapters across the country and served over 14,000 Dreamers.

Dallas became the first city outside of New York to adopt the ‘I have a Dream’ program. Founded in 1986, I Have a Dream Foundation - Dallas has ‘adopted’ more than 750 Dreamers in Dallas. The dreamers of Dallas have made it to some of the most prestigious colleges of the world which include Southern Methodist University, Dallas Baptist University, The University of Dallas, University of North Texas, Texas Woman's University, Grambling State University, University of Houston, Prairie View A&M University, Texas Southern University, Rice University, Langston University, California School of the Arts, Julliard College, Dillard University, Texas A&M-Commerce, Navarro College, Sarah Lawrence, George Washington University, the University of Texas and many more.

The board of directors at the IHAD-Dallas has many dignitaries including David Disiere of the Deep South Surplus of Texas, Helen M. Dorsey, Dr. Pepper/Seven Up Inc. James W. Loose Galloway-James Inc. and others. While the I Have a Dream foundation has experienced tremendous success since its inception in September of 1986, its continued existence is dependent upon the support of individuals, corporations and organizations in the Dallas towards the mission of the ‘I Have a Dream’ Foundation