OT (kind of):Poop schedule

Old July 12th 03, 08:23 AM
CY

Default OT (kind of):Poop schedule

I just wondered if anyone else experiences the same thing we have going on.

DD is almost 17 months and still mostly bf'd. She does not eat a whole lot
of anything on a regular schedule although she often grazes on whatever I
happen to be eating. Anyway, since we started on solids (around 8ish
months) she poops very infrequently. I know that bf'd babies don't
necessarily poop often but I wondered about it since she is now no longer
technically a baby. She typically has one bm once a week. We did go
through a phase of true constipation, but now bm's are very soft, quite
dark, and peeeeeeeewww stinky! My ped wants me to give her mineral oil (v
hard to get her to take it because I can't mix it w/anything and be sure
that she'll eat/drink all of it) and when I did manage to get it into her,
it didn't seem to do a whole lot of anything. The only thing that seems to
make a bit of difference is glycerin suppositories.

I am not really looking for a solution, just wondered if this is more common
than I expect!

Old July 12th 03, 11:29 AM
Chookie

In article YHOPa.1918$Bp2.1540@fed1read07, "CY"
wrote:

She typically has one bm once a week. We did go
through a phase of true constipation, but now bm's are very soft, quite
dark, and peeeeeeeewww stinky! My ped wants me to give her mineral oil (v
hard to get her to take it because I can't mix it w/anything and be sure
that she'll eat/drink all of it) and when I did manage to get it into her,
it didn't seem to do a whole lot of anything. The only thing that seems to
make a bit of difference is glycerin suppositories.

I am just wondering what disorder your child has that all this interference in
her bowel is necessary. Has the ped actually DIAGNOSED her with a problem? Or
is it some sort of hangover fromm the time when everyone was supposed to poo
once a day?

And yes, the longer the time between bowel movements, the stinkier they are!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old July 12th 03, 02:17 PM
Michelle Podnar

I don't have an answer for you, but want to let you know that I have a
daughter that is 12 months, that is almost exclusively BF (little interest
in foods), and her bowel movements are 1-2 x a week. At the last doctor
appt, he mentioned to try to get more fibre into her (fruits etc) so she
became more regular, but I can't force-feed her. She seems very content at
her current "poop schedule" so I am not going to do anything now.

Michelle P

Old July 12th 03, 06:33 PM
CY

Well she was diagnosed with severe constipation and did have an xray of her
stomach/bowels/colon etc. (just a regular x-ray) which showed she was wayyyy
backed up. A couple of days after that she pooped and it was v hard and
uncomfortable to pass. My dr wants her to be pooping every other day,
despite her not seeming to be in any obvious discomfort. But no other tahn
that nothing, I just get worried when she hasn't pooped in a week as I just
think it must not be healthy...however if others experience the same thing,
maybe it's no prob???