No poop! :(

Old July 5th 06, 11:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KD

Default No poop! :(

Greetings all:

My boy is three months old and exclusively breastfed. He typically
poops at least once a day, but now he hasn't had a bowel movement since
Monday night (it's now Wednesday night).

How long should I let this go on before seeking medical attention? Is
this unusual? It certainly is for HIM, since he usually goes a couple
of times a day.

Thanks!

KD & G

Old July 6th 06, 12:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

"KD" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings all:

My boy is three months old and exclusively breastfed. He typically
poops at least once a day, but now he hasn't had a bowel movement since
Monday night (it's now Wednesday night).

How long should I let this go on before seeking medical attention? Is
this unusual? It certainly is for HIM, since he usually goes a couple
of times a day.

Thanks!

KD & G

I think this may be normal. My DD used to poop I don't know how many times a
day - basically every nappy was dirty. Now at 4 months she's going about
once a day. Another mother in my mothers group had the same thing happen
earlier, I think at about 2.5 months. Another has a baby that only goes
every 2 weeks (but I don't know if there was a frequency change in that
case).

Liz

Old July 6th 06, 04:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Hi KD,

I think it's OK if a breastfed baby hasn't had a bowel movement for
several days.
This could mean the breast milk is well absorbed into his body.
If he doesn't poop in 10 days and looks fussy, I think you should
consult a doctor.

Hope your baby is fine.

Kisses for him, will you?

Love,
-aurora-
http://aurora.insparenting.com

Old July 6th 06, 11:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

wrote in message
ups.com...

KD wrote:
Greetings all:

My boy is three months old and exclusively breastfed. He typically
poops at least once a day, but now he hasn't had a bowel movement since
Monday night (it's now Wednesday night).

How long should I let this go on before seeking medical attention? Is
this unusual? It certainly is for HIM, since he usually goes a couple
of times a day.

Thanks!

KD & G

Very normal and typical, especially in the 3-4 month age range.

If he is a happy baby, eating, no fever, no apparent abdominal pain,
soft abdomen....just wait.
Many docs don't want to see a breastfed baby that hasn't pooped until
at least 7 days, some will wait more like 10. If he is showing any
signs of discomfort or lethargy or refusing to eat then that is
different and he should be seen by a doc.

Be prepared though. When he goes, he'll GO. And inevitably it will
happen when you are at the store, or church, or on a picnic 2 miles
from your car.

I second this.
Both my kids went from poo-ing in every nappy at birth to going once or
twice a week by about 6 months (and then they started solids and went more
frequently).
BUT - it sure was the motherload when they went!
Amanda

Old July 6th 06, 02:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article .com,
"KD" wrote:

My boy is three months old and exclusively breastfed. He typically
poops at least once a day, but now he hasn't had a bowel movement since
Monday night (it's now Wednesday night).

How long should I let this go on before seeking medical attention? Is
this unusual? It certainly is for HIM, since he usually goes a couple
of times a day.

LOL -- it's called a maturing gut, and can change quite quickly. My elder son
used to 'go' every Thursday morning, and usually at about 11am!

But if you think two days is a long time to wait, try 31 days! I read a paper
about this recently -- the baby filled five nappies one after the other when
the poo finally appeared. This baby was completely healthy, btw -- no signs
of anything wrong, and the poo was certainly not hard when it arrived.
Breasst milk is rich in nutrients, so there's not much left of it at the end
of digestion, and so it can take a while before any poo appears.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old July 6th 06, 04:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PK

KD wrote:
Greetings all:

My boy is three months old and exclusively breastfed. He typically
poops at least once a day, but now he hasn't had a bowel movement since
Monday night (it's now Wednesday night).

How long should I let this go on before seeking medical attention? Is
this unusual? It certainly is for HIM, since he usually goes a couple
of times a day.

Thanks!

KD & G

Its normal to go upto 5 days without pooping at that age (if
exclusively breastfed). If you are concerned you can certainly take him
to the doctor, but I suspect the doctor will tell you to wait and watch
too.
Also its a known side-effect of posting a "no poop" post to m.k.b that
you will soon have a blowout :-P. Or you can take him to a place with
no changing facilities with no extra clothes and no diapers, and he's
sure to go !! :-D

PK

Old July 7th 06, 11:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KD

PK wrote:
KD wrote:
[...]

Hee hee. Well, as it turns out the poo did arrive last night. Not in
huge quantities, just a normal poopy diaper, no blowout conditions to
report! Until he did go, I didn't leave the house without bring an
extra outfit and several washcloths packed in the diaper bag.

KD