What counts as projectile vomiting?

Old October 4th 03, 10:42 PM
Irish Marie

Default What counts as projectile vomiting?

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
I think this doesn't, but... We nursed, I stood Caterpillar
up on my lap to see if she'd burp, and at least an ounce
(measured by the "pour water on the counter until it looks
like the same amount" method) of milk just shot out of her.
Most of it landed within a foot of her, but some went as
much as two feet (and some of that splashed farther). More
ivory-colored than the white unswallowed milk is, but no
green streaks or blood or anything. She seemed perfectly
happy, and still does.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

I get that after almost all Liam's feeds and it used to happen my other
children also! I always figured it was just posseting and just that his
burp was trapped behind unswallowed milk.
Liam has another case of sniffles now and is full of mucous so a couple of
times today his regular posseting had little green bits of mucous too!
Lovely!!

--
Marie
Mum to DD born March '98, DS#1 born Nov '99 and DS#2 born Aug '03

Old October 5th 03, 04:57 AM
Dawn Lawson

Irish Marie wrote:

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message

I think this doesn't, but... We nursed, I stood Caterpillar
up on my lap to see if she'd burp, and at least an ounce
(measured by the "pour water on the counter until it looks
like the same amount" method) of milk just shot out of her.
Most of it landed within a foot of her, but some went as
much as two feet (and some of that splashed farther). More
ivory-colored than the white unswallowed milk is, but no
green streaks or blood or anything. She seemed perfectly
happy, and still does.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

I get that after almost all Liam's feeds and it used to happen my other
children also! I always figured it was just posseting

OOO, now THERE'S a word that doesn't cross cultures to the other side of
the pond!! Want to take a shot at defining, so that we word freaks can
have a precise meaning?

Dawn

Old October 5th 03, 11:26 AM
A&G&K

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Irish Marie wrote:

[...]

We Aussies call it possetting on occasion ... synonyms a spit-up, spew,
spillage, burp-juice etc ... just the little amounts of curdled milk that
some babies regurgitate after a bf - but not a vomit as such (almost no
change of expression in their little faces, no crying, no great alarm, and
it doesn't smell nearly as bad).
DD used to do it all the time but grew out of it eventually (around 6-7 mo I
think).

Actually, to reply to Phoebe - DD did this series of *huge* spit-ups one day
(much bigger than normal anyway). This was at 1-2 months old and it was the
way I found out DD couldn't tolerate me eating chilli. I can eat chillies
and curries again now without such dramatic effects.
Amanda

Old October 5th 03, 11:50 AM
mitch

Irish Marie wrote:

I get that after almost all Liam's feeds and it used to happen my other
children also! I always figured it was just posseting

OOO, now THERE'S a word that doesn't cross cultures to the other side of
the pond!! Want to take a shot at defining, so that we word freaks can
have a precise meaning?

Dawn

Don't use it here in UK too often either. When you do hear it it's
usually from Granny. It just means the normal vomitting after feeds
in newborns.
It's listed here.
http://www.raisingkids.co.uk/ask/ex01_bab08.asp
Mitch
Old October 5th 03, 05:10 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

A&G&K wrote:

Actually, to reply to Phoebe - DD did this series of *huge* spit-ups one day
(much bigger than normal anyway). This was at 1-2 months old and it was the
way I found out DD couldn't tolerate me eating chilli. I can eat chillies
and curries again now without such dramatic effects.

Based on the rest of her day (which included several more
typical spitups, a mucousy green diaper, and a watery green
diaper), it was probably the sip of Mocha Frappucchino I'd
had at lunch. :P

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old October 6th 03, 12:56 AM
Sara

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

I think this doesn't, but...

If you have to ask, it doesn't.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old October 6th 03, 03:06 PM
Irene

Sara wrote in message ...
Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

I think this doesn't, but...

If you have to ask, it doesn't.

LOL! I often wondered the same, until we actually experienced it.
Naturally, it didn't happen until ds was already eating solids.
Lovely projectiles going about 10' across the room!

I got lucky - I got the job of cleaning up ds, while dh got to clean
the room...

Irene
Old October 6th 03, 10:56 PM
Irish Marie

om...

Irish Marie wrote:

I get that after almost all Liam's feeds and it used to happen my

other
children also! I always figured it was just posseting

OOO, now THERE'S a word that doesn't cross cultures to the other side of
the pond!! Want to take a shot at defining, so that we word freaks can
have a precise meaning?

Dawn

Don't use it here in UK too often either. When you do hear it it's
usually from Granny. It just means the normal vomitting after feeds
in newborns.
It's listed here.
http://www.raisingkids.co.uk/ask/ex01_bab08.asp
Mitch

Are you saying that I'm old-fashioned?!! ;-)

projectile vomiting toypup General 4 April 12th 04 02:53 AM
weird vomiting Nevermind General 15 March 4th 04 10:22 PM
Help settle a vomiting disagreement! laurie Pregnancy 29 February 17th 04 04:58 AM
constant vomiting Jess Pregnancy 6 January 30th 04 12:56 AM
Regular vomiting in 1 y/o (graphic) Ilse Witch General 2 September 10th 03 05:08 PM