Tell me this isn't just gas...

Old October 5th 03, 08:15 PM
zeldabee

Default Tell me this isn't just gas...

Bubeleh will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I've seen him smile many times, but
as part of a repertoire of expressions that pass over his face, and it
seemed almost random, so I figured they weren't "real."

This morning was different, though...We'd had a good night--he wasn't
fussy, didn't stay awake after feedings, mom got some sleep--and he woke up
calm. I got up as he started to stir, went to the bathroom and so on. I
went to him when I heard his "Ok, I'm really awake now" noise, and talked
to him a little... and he smiled. So I kept on talking, and he kept on
smiling. This went on for about 5 minutes before I picked him up to nurse
him.

Then again this afternoon, I'd had to change his clothes after a blowout
poop. I'd put him on the bed by the window so that he could watch the
leaves blowing in the wind as I finished dressing him. Again, he smiled as
he watched the leaves, and started making little exclamations, noises that
sounded purposeful and voluntary. I nearly cried, it was so sweet.

Am I reading too much into this? It just seems like such a change.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 5th 03, 08:34 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

zeldabee wrote:

and he smiled. So I kept on talking, and he kept on
smiling.

Not gas. Isn't it great?

Phoebe oht
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old October 5th 03, 09:26 PM
iphigenia

zeldabee wrote:
Bubeleh will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I've seen him smile many times,
but as part of a repertoire of expressions that pass over his face,
and it seemed almost random, so I figured they weren't "real."

I've never bought the notion that having gas makes babies smile. I figure
it's just them playing around with their facial muscles. But at almost 4
weeks, it could be a real smile.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 5th 03, 11:45 PM
Vicki S

zeldabee wrote:
Am I reading too much into this? It just seems like such a change.

All I have is the "expertise" (snort) of rasing my own two, but I would
have to say no, you are not. To me those both sound most emphatically
like intentional behaviors, real smiles, and real exclamations of
delight. Mazal tov! Your cutie pie is aware!
--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995
Old October 6th 03, 12:14 AM
Bruce and Jeanne

zeldabee wrote:

[...]

I think it's a real smile

When DS was younger, he would "smile" and then 5 minutes later poop. I
called *that* gas.

Jeanne

Old October 6th 03, 12:53 AM
Sara

zeldabee wrote:

Bubeleh will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I've seen him smile many times, but
as part of a repertoire of expressions that pass over his face, and it
seemed almost random, so I figured they weren't "real."

This morning was different, though...We'd had a good night--he wasn't
fussy, didn't stay awake after feedings, mom got some sleep--and he woke up
calm. I got up as he started to stir, went to the bathroom and so on. I
went to him when I heard his "Ok, I'm really awake now" noise, and talked
to him a little... and he smiled.

Sounds like a happy smile to me!

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old October 6th 03, 01:18 AM
azure

"zeldabee" wrote in message
*snip*

Am I reading too much into this? It just seems like such a change.

--

Definitely a smile : ) Audrey did this around 3wo, same age as your bubby
: ) Though I do miss those sleepy newborn grins that appear and disappear

Cheers,

Leah

---

Old October 6th 03, 02:08 AM
JoFromOz

zeldabee wrote:
Bubeleh will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I've seen him smile many times,
but as part of a repertoire of expressions that pass over his face,
and it seemed almost random, so I figured they weren't "real."

(snip)
Am I reading too much into this? It just seems like such a change.

Personally I believe that since babies feel the feelings to make them cry
(sad, etc), then why don't they have the happy feelings that make them
smile? We know they aren't totally devoid of emotion, it's just that in the
first few weeks there isn't that much to smile about because they are
getting used to a WHOLE new world and way of living.

Just my opinion

Your story is really great

Jo (RM)

--
Babies are Born... Pizzas are delivered.

Old October 6th 03, 01:32 PM
Maryilee

Am I reading too much into this? It just seems like such a change.

--

Sounds like real smiles to me. My dd had her first real smiles at only three
weeks. It sure caught me by surprise as my boys didn't have real smiles until

Maryilee

Maggie's Christmas page
http://www.angelfire.com/vi/maggie/c...spictures.html
Info on hereditary spherocytosis
http://www.angelfire.com/vi/maggie/spherocytosis.html
Old October 6th 03, 05:09 PM
zeldabee

Vicki S wrote:
zeldabee wrote:
Am I reading too much into this? It just seems like such a change.

All I have is the "expertise" (snort) of rasing my own two, but I would
have to say no, you are not. To me those both sound most emphatically
like intentional behaviors, real smiles, and real exclamations of
delight. Mazal tov! Your cutie pie is aware!

Ah, good, I'm so glad. I haven't heard much more cooing since, but have
seen a few more smiles. Bloke had yet to be blessed.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/