Question: Should I give water to my 3mth old

Old October 7th 03, 05:15 PM
Bubeebubee

Default Question: Should I give water to my 3mth old

Dear Group,

I have been exclusively bf my 3 mth old. Do I need to feed her with water?

It seems there are divergent opinions. Some says not giving water will cause brain damage. Some says giving water will hurt baby's kidney.

I am really confusing. Which is correct?

Flora
Hong Kong

Old October 7th 03, 05:29 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Until you start solids, there is NO need to start water. And yes, too
much water can be very dangerous for an infant.

Breastmilk is mostly water, anyway, plus the nutrients your baby needs.
If your baby is looking thirsty, just nurse more.

Once you start solids, start offering small amounts of water at the same
time. (But of course, nurse first!)

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old October 7th 03, 08:42 PM
Sue

Water is not needed for an infant until solids are introduced. Yes, giving water to an infant before solids are introduced can cause kidney damage. Your baby doesn't need water yet. Your breastmilk is all she needs.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 8th 03, 01:30 AM
nutcat

No- she does not need water- breastmilk is all she needs.
Yes water can hurt the baby's kidney if too much is given- and it doesn't take a lot to be too much for a 3 month old. Also, unless you are certain the water is purified and filtered, certain chemicals (such as those in tap water) can cause babies under 6 months old kidney problems.

Paula