Should I put my 3 year old back in diapers?

Old July 16th 03, 09:16 PM
Jaime

Default Should I put my 3 year old back in diapers?

I just had my fourth baby a little more than a month ago. The other
three, youngest to oldest are 13 months old, two years old and three
years and two months old. The oldest, Sarah, was potty trained about
six months ago and had been doing really well until Rachel first came
home. With Rachel home, there were three girls in diapers and
something must have happened because Sarah started making in her
pants. The first couple times it happened, we weren't concerned but
after a little while, it started happening quite often, sometimes more
than once a day. Just this afternoon, I asked Sarah if she had to go
potty and she said no. I didn't want to push her so I just let it be.
Not more than 10 minutes later, she was soaked. In the past few
days, she has started wetting the bed at night also. We're really
thinking about putting her back in diapers because there seems to be
no other way. We never used pull-ups with her because they're really
expensive and they're just like diapers anyway. I'd greatly
appreciate any advice on what to do here!!
Old July 16th 03, 09:59 PM
Bill Fischer

This could be short-lived behavior caused by the change in family
circumstance. But when I learn of a sudden change in the voiding
situation -- especially at night, I wonder about a bladder infection.

True, bladder infections usually include fever, pain on urination,
urgency, frequency. But not always.

Old July 17th 03, 12:31 AM
toto

On 16 Jul 2003 13:16:21 -0700, (Jaime) wrote:

[...]

Often older children who are trained regress for a while. If she
doesn't mind diapers, I would put her back in them for a while,
knowing she knows what to do and will decide to do it on her own
probably not in a long time. But I would be careful that she doesn't
see this as a punishment. Be matter of fact about it and tell her
she can use panties when she decides she is ready.

You can also talk to her about being the big sister and make sure
you give her as much cuddling and attention as you can. One on
one time is important although it is hard to do with the number of
little ones you have.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 18th 03, 12:21 AM
sarah's mom

"Shannon" wrote in message ...
I say no dont, just talk to her lirk a person when she does it and explain
over adn over again where she is suppose to go eventually she will get it
also give her lots of attention for all the good things she does, after all
that is most likely why she is doing it. She wants your attention if she
only gets it for bad things or for things like that she wont stop. Im not
saying you dont give her attention btu i can see how it must be hard to give
them al the attention they need. You may feel you give her lots but maybe
she sees it differently. Good Luck!!!

Shannon
due Sept 12

I agree she just needs some special attention, give her some quality
one on one time and maybe she will come around.
Old July 20th 03, 05:59 PM
Chotii

"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message
(Jaime) wrote:

Thank you all very much for your kind words of advice. After much
consideration, we've decided to put Sarah back in diapers for a little
while anyway. Friends of ours came up with an interesting suggestion
that is food for thought: have her wear nothing over the diaper, so
maybe when people see a child her age in diapers, they'll comment and
maybe she will decide she doesn't want to wear diapers anymore.

No ... humiliation will do NOTHING to help her.

It will be bad enough when her favorite things don't fit over the
diapers.

If I remember correctly, the OP's child is only three. *My* 3 year olds (I
have twins) couldn't care less about what other people say. As they came
closer to 4, they began to care a bit. But only a bit. My twins will be 4
next Friday, and we're just getting the one potty trained now. She has run
around in a diaper only, MANY times, and people have seen her and made no
comment. Why would they? Unless the OP was *soliciting* negative comments
from people....?

Now, in my case, there were complicating factors that held us back from
potty training her, namely, my being hospitalized for 2 months (we'd begun
potty training her before that, but when I went in the hospital, it was one
thing too many for my DH to deal with), and because she has a g-tube we
hadn't quite figured how to work around. Surely, our daughter could have
trained younger. But she didn't, and it doesn't make any difference - in the
2 weeks since we started, she's had all of 3 accidents, and *this* is *very*
good for her self-esteem, as we praise her highly for the behavior we want
to encourage (and since she's been almost completely successful, she gets a
lot of praise), and tell her she'll do better next time when she has an
accident. That's all.

If the OP's child is regressing due to the presence of a newborn, why
humiliate her for it? It's very common, normal behavior. It won't last.

--angela

Old July 20th 03, 06:24 PM
ajpdla

"Nan" wrote in message
I would have a problem with anyone saying anything negative to my
child about *anything*.
Nan

That's a whole other issue. Better get used to that one. Life ain't all
wine and roses.

AJPDLA

Old July 21st 03, 12:40 PM
ajpdla

"Nan" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:24:27 -0700, "ajpdla"
wrote:

"Nan" wrote in message
.. .
I would have a problem with anyone saying anything negative to my
child about *anything*.
Nan

That's a whole other issue. Better get used to that one. Life ain't all
wine and roses.

AJPDLA

Gee, you'd think I'd know that since I've already raised one to 19
years.
I was speaking of a 3 year old being shamed by strangers.

Nan

Hey. Don't climb all over me. I wasn't the one who spoke in absolutes.
And I wasn't the only one who caught you doing it either.

AJPDLA

Old July 21st 03, 03:21 PM
L. D. Abraham

For advice from parents on how to potty train your child, you can visit
http://www.epinions.com/kifm-Health_...potty_training.

--
For family-safe freebies, visit www.Freebies.xrs.net. Updated Daily!

"Jaime" wrote in message
om...
Thank you all very much for your kind words of advice. After much
consideration, we've decided to put Sarah back in diapers for a little
while anyway. Friends of ours came up with an interesting suggestion
that is food for thought: have her wear nothing over the diaper, so
maybe when people see a child her age in diapers, they'll comment and
maybe she will decide she doesn't want to wear diapers anymore. Your
thoughts?

Old July 22nd 03, 02:47 AM
L. D. Abraham

You need to consider the consequences of what you're going to do. You should be
trying to build her up with encouragement rather than giving her a backhanded
effort.

--
For family-safe freebies, visit www.Freebies.xrs.net. Updated Daily!

om...

Old July 22nd 03, 04:26 AM
Sarah

have her wear nothing over the diaper, so
maybe when people see a child her age in diapers, they'll comment and
maybe she will decide she doesn't want to wear diapers anymore.

I don't see that as humiliation -- my daughter is months past her
third birthday and still in diapers. And since its the summer, she
spends a decent amount of time in her diaper with nothing else.
People say things every now and again but it probably won't make a
difference -- at least it hasn't for us. I guess there are more and
more three year olds in diapers these days so it isn't such a sight.

I threw my back out! Jill Pregnancy 15 July 21st 04 05:10 PM
cloth diapers? tigger Pregnancy 21 May 21st 04 06:40 AM
Should I put my 3 year old back in diapers? Jaime General 20 July 29th 03 04:57 AM
2 1/4 year old keeps taking off diapers Larry McMahan General 4 July 15th 03 02:39 AM
2 1/4 year old keeps taking off diapers Larry McMahan Pregnancy 2 July 15th 03 02:39 AM