Should I put my 3 year old back in diapers?

Old July 22nd 03, 05:23 AM
toypup

Default Should I put my 3 year old back in diapers?

"Sarah" wrote in message
m...
have her wear nothing over the diaper, so
maybe when people see a child her age in diapers, they'll comment and
maybe she will decide she doesn't want to wear diapers anymore.

I don't see that as humiliation -- my daughter is months past her
third birthday and still in diapers. And since its the summer, she
spends a decent amount of time in her diaper with nothing else.
People say things every now and again but it probably won't make a
difference -- at least it hasn't for us. I guess there are more and
more three year olds in diapers these days so it isn't such a sight.

It's all in the intent. The OP was hoping others would comment so that her
child would feel embarrassed enough to stop wearing diapers. I really doubt
it would happen because 1) a child her age is often seen in diapers; 2) most
adults would know enough not to try humiliating someone else's child. Maybe
she thought other children would comment, but then, those children probably
know lots of other children still in diapers.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:34 PM
Nina

"ajpdla" wrote in message
"Nan" wrote in message
I would have a problem with anyone saying anything negative to my
child about *anything*.
Nan

That's a whole other issue. Better get used to that one. Life ain't all
wine and roses.

AJPDLA

That attitude is responsible for a whole lot of messed up kids running amok
because Mommy and Daddy can't bear for anyone to be mean to their little
Precious.

Old July 22nd 03, 07:55 PM
Wendy Marsden

In misc.kids.health Jaime wrote:
Friends of ours came up with an interesting suggestion
that is food for thought: have her wear nothing over the diaper, so
maybe when people see a child her age in diapers, they'll comment and
maybe she will decide she doesn't want to wear diapers anymore. Your
thoughts?

I would do the exact opposite: put her in a dress with NO underpants and
give her lots to drink. Let her see and feel what pee feels like so she
can learn the signals. (Take her outside to play!) It would help if
there is a portable potty around if she wants to use it, but I've found
the pants-free method is excellent for helping the kids learn.

A diaper is so absorbent that the kid doesn't get the signals. If you
MUST diaper her, could you use cloth with rubber pants so she at least can
tell she's wet herself?

Or how about keeping her in underpants but putting rubber pants over it?

My heart goes out to you with your laundry issues: four kids four and
under!!!

Wendy
Old July 22nd 03, 09:47 PM
David&Wendy

i think she will take a step back if you put her back in diapers.. keep on
working with her for the poop mistakes tell her it's ok but in the potty is
better.. put dresses since it is summer time with just her diaper if that is
the way you are all going on it !!
mine were pottied by age of 2 i guess i can consider myself lucky with potty
training !!
wendy mom of 4 !!
"Jaime" wrote in message
om...
Thank you all very much for your kind words of advice. After much
consideration, we've decided to put Sarah back in diapers for a little
while anyway. Friends of ours came up with an interesting suggestion

Old July 22nd 03, 10:18 PM
toypup

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
In misc.kids.health Jaime wrote:
Friends of ours came up with an interesting suggestion
that is food for thought: have her wear nothing over the diaper, so
maybe when people see a child her age in diapers, they'll comment and
maybe she will decide she doesn't want to wear diapers anymore. Your
thoughts?

I would do the exact opposite: put her in a dress with NO underpants and
give her lots to drink. Let her see and feel what pee feels like so she
can learn the signals. (Take her outside to play!) It would help if
there is a portable potty around if she wants to use it, but I've found
the pants-free method is excellent for helping the kids learn.

I think the OP's child is already potty trained and is regressing. She
knows the signals but doesn't want to pay attention to them because of the
baby. I say leave her in diapers, if that's what she wants. It won't last
forever.

Old July 29th 03, 04:57 AM
Jaime

Wow, you're really lucky! Or you know something I don't! Two of my
four are past 2 and no luck yet, though we thought we had Sarah
trained it looks like we didn't. She's back in diapers and seems much
happier. Melissa turned 2 three weeks ago and has shown zero interest
in potty training whatsoever. Sarah wears those really cute summer
dresses all the time. She's adorable! But of course I'm saying that
because she's mine!

I threw my back out! Jill Pregnancy 15 July 21st 04 05:10 PM
cloth diapers? tigger Pregnancy 21 May 21st 04 06:40 AM
Should I put my 3 year old back in diapers? Jaime General 20 July 29th 03 04:57 AM
2 1/4 year old keeps taking off diapers Larry McMahan General 4 July 15th 03 02:39 AM
2 1/4 year old keeps taking off diapers Larry McMahan Pregnancy 2 July 15th 03 02:39 AM