Mosquito Bites... HELP!!

Old July 23rd 03, 03:03 AM
Spryte

Default Mosquito Bites... HELP!!

Hello,
I was hoping to find some help for my 10 year old daughter. She's been
going to camp and comes home everyday with dozens of mosquito bites.
She wears insect repellent and reapplies often. She takes Benedryl,
but they still itch. She has scratched a 'lot' of them open and
continues to scratch at the others. Some of the bites are up to 3
inches in diameter (red and slightly warm) She loves camp, but the
bites make her miserable. Any suggestions on how to relieve the
itching? Or better yet, help prevent the bites altogether?
I'd appreciate any help you can offer.
Thanks,
Marguerite
Old July 23rd 03, 04:14 AM
Marc B

Hello Marguerite

Perhaps a hydrocortisone cream with tea tree oil may help.

Tea tree oil can also work as an anti-bacterial.

It works very well for me with mosquito bites and poison ivy.

Good luck

Old July 26th 03, 02:29 PM
Spryte

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did switch brands of insect
repellant and that seems to have helped. And after a baking soda bath
each night, I've started applying anti-biotic ointment to all of the
bites that have been scratched open. I have trimmed her nails
completely down and sent her to camp with a bottle of hand sanitizer,
to keep her hands cleaner incase she does scratch something open. Also
advised her to slap or flick itchy spots instead of scratching. I
appreciate all the tips!! Hope you all have a bug-free summer!
Marguerite
Old July 27th 03, 04:33 AM
LSU Grad of '89

Also, try wearing light clothing rather than black/dark. This helps a
little, but is better than nothing. Also helps to be on B vitamins.

L.

om...

Old July 28th 03, 07:18 PM
James and Karen Stewart

I just read an article in the paper about this and they say some people
releive the itching by applying Aveeno lotion.,..it seems to be one of the
best things for bites....try it
Karen
"silver C" wrote in message
om...
Tsu Dho Nimh wrote in message

. ..
(Spryte) wrote:

I was hoping to find some help for my 10 year old daughter. She's been
going to camp and comes home everyday with dozens of mosquito bites.

She wears insect repellent and reapplies often.

Change brands. Some work better than others, and it varies
from person to person.

Avoid scented soaps and lotions and perfumes.

She takes Benedryl,but they still itch.

For some persons, a local anaesthetic cream or lotion works
better. An antihistamine cream applied right to the bite is
better than benadryl orally.

Also, try a cortisone cream and see if it's better.

She has scratched a 'lot' of them open and
continues to scratch at the others.

One trick my dad taught me ... don't scratch bites, slap them.
If you slap or strike (use the marble-shooting motion of thumb
and forefinger) the bite, you get almost as much relief as
scratching, without the skin damage.

Tsu

Have you heard of a little gadget where it gives a very slight
electric shock on the place where the mozzy has bitten you? I think
its called a bug zapper?
It is available in the uk , it might be worth a look on the internet.I
know Boots stock it. Hope this helps

DYFS head NJ resigns...Ho, hum another one bites the dust Kane General 0 December 20th 03 03:26 AM
hives (?) or bites? Rash? Jan General 4 December 11th 03 10:40 PM
Infected Mosquito Bites cloud nine General 2 August 1st 03 08:46 AM
safe for kids Mosquito repellent Aronn General 0 July 18th 03 03:48 PM
Dog bites increase over summer [email protected] General 0 July 6th 03 07:14 PM