anyone know about "round ligament" pain?

Old October 29th 03, 11:52 PM
Anne277919

Default anyone know about "round ligament" pain?

I am 14 weeks pregnant and my lower stomach hurts all the time. I get sharp
pains and dull aches. It stops when I lay down, but sometimes it hurts even
when I'm just sitting up in my chair at work. I think I may have even pulled it
out of place while I was moving. This weekend I went to the store and was
walking around and it hurt so bad I thought I would cry. I called my midwife
and she said it was probably just round ligaments stretching. Do you think I
should make an appointment and it get it checked out by a doc anyway? I'm not
spotting or anything. Sometimes it just aches on the sides and sometimes it's a
sharp pain going from uterus through my vagina.

If it is round ligament pain, how long does this "stretching phase" last and if
I pulled them when it will it be healed?

Any wisdom would help.

Thanks, Anna
Old October 30th 03, 12:17 AM
toypup

"Anne277919" wrote in message
[...]

When I got round ligament pain, it was a sharp pain that happened when I
stood up or coughed or made some sudden movement involving my abdominal
muscles. It was not an all day sort of pain. It was always associated with
an event (like standing up). It always went away quickly, within seconds.
It was always centered, not on the sides. It never went through my vagina.
It always felt like I pulled a muscle. It happened early on, like 8 weeks
or so, and was definitely over by 14 weeks. JME. If you're hurting that
much, maybe you should have it checked out.

Old October 30th 03, 12:48 AM
Kat

[...]

I have been having round ligament pain for awhile and I expect to experience
for awhile yet. What I have been experiencing is when I have been in a
position too long I get the pain, and if I move wrong or suddenly.
Sometimes I feel like curling up into a ball with the pain but it usually
goes away in a minute or so. If it is really worrying you, go ahead and go
in and get it checked out. I honestly don't know if the pain going through
the vagina and stuff is normal.
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and #2 EDD 02/01/04 (26weeks)

Old October 30th 03, 06:23 AM
Fer

Anne277919 wrote:
|| I am 14 weeks pregnant and my lower stomach hurts all the time. I
|| get sharp pains and dull aches. It stops when I lay down, but
|| sometimes it hurts even when I'm just sitting up in my chair at
|| work. I think I may have even pulled it out of place while I was
|| moving. This weekend I went to the store and was walking around and
|| it hurt so bad I thought I would cry. I called my midwife and she
|| said it was probably just round ligaments stretching. Do you think I
|| should make an appointment and it get it checked out by a doc
|| anyway? I'm not spotting or anything. Sometimes it just aches on the
|| sides and sometimes it's a sharp pain going from uterus through my
|| vagina.
|| If it is round ligament pain, how long does this "stretching phase"
|| last and if I pulled them when it will it be healed?
|| Any wisdom would help.
|| Thanks, Anna

Round ligament pain usually seems to slow down later in pregnancy but I
remember having the odd pain close to delivery. I'd be more concerned over
the pain coming down to your vagina. If you don't feel right with the
pains I say get yourself checked out!
--?

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS11
-DD6
-#3edd 25/06

Old October 30th 03, 06:47 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Fer wrote:

Round ligament pain usually seems to slow down later in pregnancy but I
remember having the odd pain close to delivery. I'd be more concerned over
the pain coming down to your vagina. If you don't feel right with the
pains I say get yourself checked out!

The round ligaments stretch all the way to the vagina. It really is
normal to feel them all the way down into your crotch.

Every woman is different, so every woman will feel different pains
during pregnancy. As a general rule, round ligament pains should not
ache all day, unless you've pulled a ligament, which can happen. (I
pulled one myself standing up too fast from a chair.) The pulled
ligament will ache all day, worse in certain positions, for maybe 5 days
in a row, gradually lessening.

If all else fails, go in and ask for an ultrasound to see if baby is ok.

Old October 30th 03, 08:00 PM
Taniwha grrrl

Anne277919 wrote:

I called my midwife and she said it was probably
just round ligaments stretching.

Sounds like it to me, it can be absolutely awful, I've had
day's where all I could do was lie in bed with a wheatbag
(heat bag).

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old October 30th 03, 08:02 PM
Taniwha grrrl

toypup wrote:

It was not an all day sort of pain. It was
always associated with an event (like standing up). It

always went
away quickly, within seconds.

It happened early on, like 8 weeks or so, and was
definitely over by 14 weeks.

You were lucky then, mine lasted right up to term, and
somethines would cramp up/pull/hurt whatever you call what
it's doing all day long.