Is "fake" sushi ok?

Old May 8th 07, 01:05 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
beyond the pale

Default Is "fake" sushi ok?

I can't believe I never had this craving in my last preg. as I love sushi. I
never wanted it, so, I never wondered this.

I try to limit my sandwich meats, cold cuts, and avoid things that pertain
to listeria. Sushi wouldn't be in this category, would it?? By "fake" sushi,
I mean I don't really eat what you'd call legitimate sushi. I guess it's all
sushi, but there's a big difference between what a sushi expert would order
from a fine Japanese restaurant from a sushi chef, and what I eat. I just
like the combination of the nori, rice, and cucumber, avacado, and imitation
crabmeat. Yeah, just California rolls.

Unless the imitation crabmeat is objectionable I can't really think of any
reason why I shouldn't order sushi, is this ok? I'm sort of craving it.

Does anyone here avoid certain foods while pregnant, and why? I've known
people to avoid softserve ice cream (supposedly can be a listeria risk),
sandwich meats, and things like MSG, Nutrasweet/aspartame, and I knew one
lady who wouldn't eat canned Cream of Mushroom soup because it contains some
chemical- either a nitrite, MSG, or something like that. I just ate what I
craved in my first pregnancy but yet tried to be careful. I did have
occasional soft serve ice cream, I ate lunch meat only in moderation...I
stayed with someone and ate 2-3 bologna sandwiches and thought I would puke,
but it's all they had. Otherwise I avoided sadnwich meats. etc. I avoid
artificial sweeteners anyway..just curious, it never occurred to me since
last time I didn't eat much of the stuff anyway, but now cravings are
kicking in.

Old May 8th 07, 04:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Engram

The "fake crab meat" in a California roll is actually a type of fish (in
most cases Alaska pollock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_stick). I don't
know this fish and whether it is high in mercury or not so you might want to
investigate it.

When I was pregnant, I pretty much ate what I wanted, within limits. I was
particularly careful of fish and fish products because of mercury and
carried a card I got from the hospital that told me how much of the various
types of fish I could eat and how often (eg. if I had some fish that tend to
be high in mercury, I could not eat any other fish for two weeks, etc). A
good rule of thumb is that predator fish tend to be higher in mercury than
the prey, as the predator retains in their system the mercury the prey has
ingested. You just need to know your fish

I never really avoided cold meats as long as I knew where it came from. I
tended to get ham, etc, from a butcher I trusted, where they sliced it off
the whole after I ordered rather than buying it from a supermarket, where it
tends to sit for hours (or days?) after it has been sliced. I tended to
avoid eggs and peanuts because I had heard that there is a chance of the
child being allergic to these if you eat a lot of them during pregnancy.
Could be an old wives tale, though. I never checked the research, just ate
little of it anyway.

But apart from limiting the fish, cold meats, eggs and peanuts, I didn't
really actively avoid anything. I don't really eat soft serve ice cream,
anyway, so that was never an issue for me.

Engram