A Parenting & kids forum. ParentingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ParentingBanter.com forum » misc.kids » Pregnancy
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Baby names and NO idea



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old June 13th 07, 06:08 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 444
Default Baby names and NO idea

Jamie Clark wrote:
"NL" wrote in message


Sofia might work actually. Sarabeth she'd probably end up spelling for
every teacher, just like most of the other names ;-)



Well, even if she had to spell it for teachers, the plus side is that all
she has to say is "How do I spell it? Just like it sounds, Sara - no H and
Beth" Unless Beth is just not a name ever heard in your parts.


Yeah, Beth is definitely not a german name and I think at least the
older people would have problems pronouncing it...

But I tried Sofia today and Sam actually didn't put a veto in, so that
might be an option ;-)

Btw: Where did you get all those names? I don't think my baby name books
have that many S names for girls! (2.5 small Pages for both boys and girls
plus explanation of meaning for every name)



One of the baby name websites. Probably babnamer.com, but could be
babynameworld.com


Oh, cool. Got to go and check it out. My best friend read all the S
names for girls from an old baby names book to me this afternoon, wow
there's some funky old names starting with S, we sure had a good laugh ;-)


I know, but I see myself standing at the playground yelling
"Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaa time to go hooooooooooooooooooome!" and all of a sudden
5 girls come running to me kind of thing ;-)


So when you are hollering at her to come home at dusk, instead of yelling
"Saraaaaaaa!" you yell, "SaraaaaaaKaaaaaatrinnnnnnn" and ONLY she will come
running. Plus, kids know the sound of their moms voices. : )


I know. Right now I'm usually standing there yelling
"Saaaaaaaaaaaaaamueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll llllll" when we first
moved her I actually wondered how long it would take for a neighbour to
ask me what kind of pet I was calling every night *lol* I felt like way
back when we had a cat, standing there with the carton of dry catfood,
shaking it and yelling "Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeter!" ;-)

That said, Nicole was a popular name when I was born and I still only
ended up with another Nicole in my classes twice in my whole school
"career" (13 years). So, who knows.

Thanks for all the suggestions!



You're welcome. If you hadn't noticed, I love the whole naming game.


Yeah, and that's pretty convenient because I can do with the
encouragement :-)

cu
nicole
  #22  
Old June 13th 07, 06:12 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 444
Default Baby names and NO idea

Jamie Clark wrote:

I totally agree, about having to spell pretty much any name now. Even the
old standards of Ann, could be Anne. My last name is Clark, which I always
have to say, "No e." It's just a fact of life, but mostly it is all those
dang "creative" spellers who are to blame. Oh well.


Landau. I had people write Lindau, but Landauer is definitely most often
used. For a while I always said "Nicole Landau. No ER" and people would
still write Landauer!


cu
nicole
  #23  
Old June 13th 07, 06:13 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 444
Default Baby names and NO idea

ncrist wrote:
On Jun 13, 10:34 am, "Lucy-lu" wrote:


I quite like Samira/Semira, I think it works well in German too. Serena,
Scarlett and Shannon are all quite nice. Sienna might work quite well. I
like Sylvie.

But then what do I know - I definitely didn't want an S name! Didn't
think they went well with my surname!

Lucy x

actually, I do quite like Sienna Katrin!



Sam and Samira? hmmm. That might not be a smart move.


Hehe, two birds, one stone
"SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MM, it's dinnertime!"

cu
nicole
  #24  
Old June 13th 07, 06:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 444
Default Baby names and NO idea

sharalyns wrote:

My question is "Why 'S'?" As someone who grew up in a family of all
'S' names (including the pets), let me tell you, it was *highly*
annoying. I've sworn off giving any names to future children that are
duplicates of any current family members (so for next baby, A, G, J,
and S are completely out). Anyway, I just thought I 'd throw that out
there in case you hadn't thought of it. :-)


I don't really have an answer. I don't know why I want another S-Name.
I just keep getting stuck at the S every time I look for names for nr2.
I wanted a Hanna, but a friend had her baby in January and she's a
Hannah Kathryn, so that's out... And yeah, I just keep getting stuck (in
a good way) at the S every time.

cu
nicole
  #25  
Old June 13th 07, 06:44 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 855
Default Baby names and NO idea

"NL" wrote in message
...
Jamie Clark wrote:
"NL" wrote in message


Sofia might work actually. Sarabeth she'd probably end up spelling for
every teacher, just like most of the other names ;-)



Well, even if she had to spell it for teachers, the plus side is that all
she has to say is "How do I spell it? Just like it sounds, Sara - no H
and Beth" Unless Beth is just not a name ever heard in your parts.


Yeah, Beth is definitely not a german name and I think at least the older
people would have problems pronouncing it...

But I tried Sofia today and Sam actually didn't put a veto in, so that
might be an option ;-)

Btw: Where did you get all those names? I don't think my baby name books
have that many S names for girls! (2.5 small Pages for both boys and
girls plus explanation of meaning for every name)



One of the baby name websites. Probably babnamer.com, but could be
babynameworld.com


Oh, cool. Got to go and check it out. My best friend read all the S names
for girls from an old baby names book to me this afternoon, wow there's
some funky old names starting with S, we sure had a good laugh ;-)


I know, but I see myself standing at the playground yelling
"Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaa time to go hooooooooooooooooooome!" and all of a
sudden 5 girls come running to me kind of thing ;-)


So when you are hollering at her to come home at dusk, instead of yelling
"Saraaaaaaa!" you yell, "SaraaaaaaKaaaaaatrinnnnnnn" and ONLY she will
come running. Plus, kids know the sound of their moms voices. : )


I know. Right now I'm usually standing there yelling
"Saaaaaaaaaaaaaamueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll llllll" when we first
moved her I actually wondered how long it would take for a neighbour to
ask me what kind of pet I was calling every night *lol* I felt like way
back when we had a cat, standing there with the carton of dry catfood,
shaking it and yelling "Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeter!" ;-)


I kept this idea in mind when I named my first cat, and actually had somehow
trained her to come when I rattled my keys, instead of hollering her name.
The other thing I do is instead of calling my cats names, I just call out
"Keeeeeeekideeeeeekideeeeeekideeeee" kind of like Kitty kitty kitty but all
run together.

That said, Nicole was a popular name when I was born and I still only
ended up with another Nicole in my classes twice in my whole school
"career" (13 years). So, who knows.

Thanks for all the suggestions!



You're welcome. If you hadn't noticed, I love the whole naming game.


Yeah, and that's pretty convenient because I can do with the encouragement
:-)


Well I like the sibling sound of Samuel and Sofia. Sam and Sofia. Works
for me.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys -- 01/03/03
Addison Grace -- 09/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1, Password:
Guest
Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up your own User ID and
Password


  #26  
Old June 13th 07, 06:48 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 855
Default Baby names and NO idea

"NL" wrote in message
...
sharalyns wrote:

My question is "Why 'S'?" As someone who grew up in a family of all
'S' names (including the pets), let me tell you, it was *highly*
annoying. I've sworn off giving any names to future children that are
duplicates of any current family members (so for next baby, A, G, J,
and S are completely out). Anyway, I just thought I 'd throw that out
there in case you hadn't thought of it. :-)


I grew up with a sibling who had the same first initial as I did, and it
never bothered me. His name is Jay. Both mom and dad had different first
initials, and pets as well. So it was just a kid thing, and honestly, it
makes me smile and feels like a bonding thing. Jay and Jamie. I actually
have an older sister that I met later on, and her name starts with an L.

I don't really have an answer. I don't know why I want another S-Name.
I just keep getting stuck at the S every time I look for names for nr2. I
wanted a Hanna, but a friend had her baby in January and she's a Hannah
Kathryn, so that's out... And yeah, I just keep getting stuck (in a good
way) at the S every time.

cu
nicole


My biggest issue is that the names sound good together, for siblings. I do
tend to lean towards the same initial, but again, that's because of my
history. Although we didn't do that with our kids. We didn't specifically
decide not to, we just found the name that we liked and it didn't start with
a T.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys -- 01/03/03
Addison Grace -- 09/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1, Password:
Guest
Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up your own User ID and
Password


  #27  
Old June 13th 07, 07:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 75
Default Baby names and NO idea


"ncrist" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 13, 10:34 am, "Lucy-lu" wrote:
"NL" wrote in message

...



I know the feeling. I have a girl name and we're all pretty sure it
will
be a girl. (Sara Katrin) but all of a sudden the baby doesn't "feel"
like
a Sara anymore, plus I just found out Sara/Sarah is number 7 in the
most
popular names list this year. YAY. So now I'm trying to find another
girl
name with an S. And there aren't any! I like Salome but Sam already
vetoed
it and I kind of don't see me yelling "Salomeeeeeeeeeeeee" on the
playground, Stefanie, Sonja, Susanne, Sabine all make me shudder
because I
know at least one of each who was a stupid cow. I like Sandra, but
that's
my cousins name. And really there aren't that many more that are
pronouncable in german as well as in english/french. I like biblical
names
even though I don't "do" god/religion, simply because they're usually
pronouncable in any language. I like Abigail, but in german... No go.
Besides, doesn't start with an S. I like Ruth, but Sam doesn't. He
wants a
Sara Anna but Anna's my mothers name so I vetoed that *lol*.
I hate picking out names. For Sam it took nearly the whole pregnancy
and
even then I wasn't sure, but I looked at him and he was a Samuel
Christoph, so that was alright.
I have no boy name. It better be a girl.


All that said, I will go with Sara Katrin if I don't have some kind of
epiphany or a name comes to me in my sleep.


I quite like Samira/Semira, I think it works well in German too. Serena,
Scarlett and Shannon are all quite nice. Sienna might work quite well. I
like Sylvie.

But then what do I know - I definitely didn't want an S name! Didn't
think they went well with my surname!

Lucy x

actually, I do quite like Sienna Katrin!


Sam and Samira? hmmm. That might not be a smart move.


Hehe oh yeah

Lucy x


  #28  
Old June 13th 07, 08:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 160
Default Baby names and NO idea

On Jun 13, 10:48 am, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
"NL" wrote in message

...

sharalyns wrote:


My question is "Why 'S'?" As someone who grew up in a family of all
'S' names (including the pets), let me tell you, it was *highly*
annoying. I've sworn off giving any names to future children that are
duplicates of any current family members (so for next baby, A, G, J,
and S are completely out). Anyway, I just thought I 'd throw that out
there in case you hadn't thought of it. :-)


I grew up with a sibling who had the same first initial as I did, and it
never bothered me. His name is Jay. Both mom and dad had different first
initials, and pets as well. So it was just a kid thing, and honestly, it
makes me smile and feels like a bonding thing. Jay and Jamie. I actually
have an older sister that I met later on, and her name starts with an L.


Yeah, I think it was because the *whole* family was 'S' (plus pets).

Stephen
Shannon
Sharalyn
Scott
Seth
Stephanie
(and if there had been more, Spencer and Stacia)

Then you throw in the animals:
Spunky
Sugar
Sassy
Sylvester
Sandi
Smudgkin
Strawberry
Sugarbutton
Shoely
Smidgen
Sammy
Simonetta
and of course our plecostomus: Sucktoria

It got old *very* quickly despite my parents love for this....All
three kids still living have sworn we will not do this to our
children. :-) And we're pretty close for the most part.

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James

  #29  
Old June 13th 07, 08:44 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Boliath
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 101
Default Baby names and NO idea

beyond the pale wrote:
"Jamie Clark" wrote

Well, even if she had to spell it for teachers, the plus side is that all
she has to say is "How do I spell it? Just like it sounds, Sara - no H
and Beth" Unless Beth is just not a name ever heard in your parts.

The way people change spellings, almost anything could need to be spelled,
even the teacher doesn't think so. Look how many names are on the Top 100
SSN List that are on there several times with variant spellings.

Madison sounds simple, right? But some people spell it Madyson now. I
remember back in the day Melissa was a very common name and now I see it
coming back, but it's often spelled Melyssa. I even know a Malyssa. Jacob,
Jakob, Katelynn, Kaitlin, Catelyn, too many to list, and as I was thinking
of using Caitlin I realized I can't remember the "proper" way to spell it, I
am still thinking is it Caitlin or Caitlyn?? LOL..And then I wonder, would
that make her Cate or Cait? :P


I'm not sure there is a "proper" way to spell it, it's not really a
proper name. The Irish way would be Caitlin but thats really pronounced
Catchleen. The Katelynn pronunciation is an anglicisation of the Irish
name as far as I know. There is no y in the Irish language so I'd rule
out Caitlyn. I'm not a fan of spelling names differntly to try to make
them unique, I know so many Kirstin, Kirstyn, Keerstin, Kristin,
Krystin's etc it drives me mad.

I saw a show on tv the other night about celebrity names, a rapper named
her daughter God'iss, I wanted to scream!
  #30  
Old June 13th 07, 09:33 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 855
Default Baby names and NO idea

"sharalyns" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 13, 10:48 am, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
"NL" wrote in message

...

sharalyns wrote:


My question is "Why 'S'?" As someone who grew up in a family of all
'S' names (including the pets), let me tell you, it was *highly*
annoying. I've sworn off giving any names to future children that are
duplicates of any current family members (so for next baby, A, G, J,
and S are completely out). Anyway, I just thought I 'd throw that out
there in case you hadn't thought of it. :-)


I grew up with a sibling who had the same first initial as I did, and it
never bothered me. His name is Jay. Both mom and dad had different
first
initials, and pets as well. So it was just a kid thing, and honestly, it
makes me smile and feels like a bonding thing. Jay and Jamie. I
actually
have an older sister that I met later on, and her name starts with an L.


Yeah, I think it was because the *whole* family was 'S' (plus pets).

Stephen
Shannon
Sharalyn
Scott
Seth
Stephanie
(and if there had been more, Spencer and Stacia)

Then you throw in the animals:
Spunky
Sugar
Sassy
Sylvester
Sandi
Smudgkin
Strawberry
Sugarbutton
Shoely
Smidgen
Sammy
Simonetta
and of course our plecostomus: Sucktoria

It got old *very* quickly despite my parents love for this....All
three kids still living have sworn we will not do this to our
children. :-) And we're pretty close for the most part.

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James



Oh lord. I can see why you would all put a moritorium on names with the
same initials in your family. I'm sure your sibs would give you ultimate
grief from here to eternity if you named your next child Alice or Adam. : )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys -- 01/03/03
Addison Grace -- 09/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1, Password:
Guest
Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up your own User ID and
Password


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help With Baby Names! Blue Eyes Blue Pregnancy 10 April 22nd 13 10:11 AM
Great Baby Gift Idea Suzuki Pregnancy 0 August 22nd 04 05:36 PM
Baby Names Felicia-Y-Ruben... Baby - March 14 05 Pregnancy 2 July 28th 04 04:24 AM
Baby names Scott Pregnancy 0 June 18th 04 11:02 AM
Baby Names annafine Pregnancy 20 September 3rd 03 09:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 ParentingBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.