Mineral supplements

Old April 7th 04, 04:23 PM
Cheryl S.

Default Mineral supplements

At Jaden's 6 month check up he was prescribed a fluoride supplement. It
is just a routine thing at this pediatric practice. He is not at any
specific risk for dental caries. I did some research just now and in
several places came across this table (advance apologies for any
formatting problems)
(one such website was http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t030900.asp)

FLUORIDE CONCENTRATION IN LOCAL WATERSUPPLY,
PARTS PER MILLION
0.3ppm 0.3-0.6 ppm
0.6ppm

AGE OF CHILD
6 months to 3 years 0.25 mg 0.00 0.00
3-6 years 0.50 mg 0.25 mg
0.00
6-16 years 1.0 mg 0.50 mg 0.00

I looked up last year's water report and it said our water level is 1.1
ppm. Yet Jaden's doctor prescribed 0.25 mg. He is getting a little
water now, mixed in his cereal, and the LLL website said that breastmilk
does contain some fluoride. Too much fluoride can cause cosmetic
defects on the teeth, so I don't think I want to give it to him; I think
he is getting enough already. I also read that the primary benefit of
fluoride comes from *contact* with the teeth, and he barely has any!
Have the others here had their baby prescribed fluoride, and did you
give it to your baby?
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months

Old April 7th 04, 04:45 PM
toypup

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
Have the others here had their baby prescribed fluoride, and did you
give it to your baby?

No and no. Knock on wood. As far as I know, DS does not have any cavities.

Old April 7th 04, 05:19 PM
Cheryl S.

"toypup" wrote in message

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
Have the others here had their baby prescribed
fluoride, and did you give it to your baby?

No and no. Knock on wood. As far as I know, DS
does not have any cavities.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't even prescribed in your case. That makes me
feel more comfortable with my decision to not give Jaden the supplement.

Old April 7th 04, 05:32 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Cheryl S. wrote:

Have the others here had their baby prescribed fluoride

Nope. Caterpillar is toothless at 10 months, so fluoride would be of
absolutely no benefit. She does drink a couple ounces a day of
fluoridated tap water, but I don't have the water district's report handy.

Phoebe

Old April 7th 04, 05:59 PM
Nikki

Cheryl S. wrote:

Have the others here had their baby prescribed
fluoride, and did you give it to your baby?

It was never prescribed for my babies, or even mentioned to me.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 7th 04, 08:32 PM
Sue

I was never prescribed any fluoride when the girls were babies. But now, at
ages 8 and 7 and the two of them having five cavities between them, the
dentist has given us ACT for fluoride to use on their teeth once a week or
so. Both girls are using them, but like I said never when they were a baby.
They drink lots of water too, but the main thing though now as older kids,
they need to floss better and brush for longer amounts of time. I think that
is the culprit and not enough fluoride.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old April 7th 04, 08:50 PM
Gorgon Park

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
[...]

A couple of months ago, I heard the head of the Canadian Academy of
Pediatric Dentists on the radio, and he was saying that the Academy no
longer supports or recommends the use of systemic flouride (drops) in
infants. Here in Canada, the Health Centres are recommending to start using
a very small amount of flouride toothpaste (a tiny smear, much smaller than
is recommended by the toothpaste manufacturers) as soon as teeth appear.

This is what we have been doing (my DD is just a week short of 6 months).
Our water isn't flouridated here, but even if it was, the amount of flouride
in the small smudge of toothpaste we use is MUCH smaller than what your DS
would be getting with supplemental drops.

This might be a course of action to consider rather than using drops.

Stacey

Old April 7th 04, 10:22 PM
Denise Anderson

"Cheryl S." wrote in message news:c516dd$2n13f8$

Have the others here had their baby prescribed fluoride, and did you
give it to your baby?
--

It's been prescribed for all 3 of my daughters. I only gave it to DD1 when
I was still in the "her doctor said so.." mindset. I didn't give it to DD2

DD1 is now almost 6 and has white spots on a few of her teeth that I can
only imagine are from the flouride.

Denise

Old April 8th 04, 01:29 PM
Cheryl S.

"Gorgon Park" wrote in message
A couple of months ago, I heard the head of the Canadian
Academy of Pediatric Dentists on the radio, and he was
saying that the Academy no longer supports or recommends
the use of systemic flouride (drops) in infants. Here in
Canada, the Health Centres are recommending to start
using a very small amount of flouride toothpaste (a tiny
smear, much smaller than is recommended by the toothpaste
manufacturers) as soon as teeth appear.

That's good to know and it makes a lot more sense. Thanks, Stacey!

Old April 8th 04, 08:27 PM
Karen

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
Have the others here had their baby prescribed fluoride, and did you
give it to your baby?

I was prescribed it for the first 4 babies and never gave it to them.
My current pediatrician doesn't prescribe fluoride routinely if you
have city water. I don't know what she does if you have well water.
She also doesn't give out Vitamin D (at least to my ultra fair skinned
kids) or recommend supplementing with iron unless baby is anemic.

Karen