Is It EVER Okay to Let your Newborn Cry?

Old April 7th 04, 11:28 PM
Larry McMahan

Default Is It EVER Okay to Let your Newborn Cry?

Carol Ann writes:
: I just can't get Morgan to sleep without me holding her or having her suck
: on my breast constantly.

: I am really going crazy. Is it EVER okay to let your newborn cry in her
: crib? If so, for how long?

: ~Carol Ann

Why place her in a crib. Lie down on the bed and nurse her to sleep,
then sneak away when she latches off.

Larry
Old April 7th 04, 11:43 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Larry McMahan wrote:

Why place her in a crib. Lie down on the bed and nurse her to sleep,
then sneak away when she latches off.

Latches off? What's that? When Caterpillar was that age, she'd just
permalatch. Even now, when she unlatches herself, sneaking away is
easier said than done, and involves much propping of prewarmed pillows
that smell like mom... And heaven forbid I should want to sleep on my
other side without being patted continuously.

Phoebe

Old April 8th 04, 04:57 AM
Akuvikate

Larry McMahan wrote in message ...
Carol Ann writes:
: I just can't get Morgan to sleep without me holding her or having her suck
: on my breast constantly.

: I am really going crazy. Is it EVER okay to let your newborn cry in her
: crib? If so, for how long?

: ~Carol Ann

Why place her in a crib. Lie down on the bed and nurse her to sleep,
then sneak away when she latches off.

Larry

I think this poster has more of a "permalatch" type baby, as Phoebe
described. Also, even though an itty bitty newborn can't move much, I
do remember at a few weeks of age the Bug would somehow scooch into me
on the bed if I tried to move away from her. Had I snuck off she
could have conceivably scooched right off the side of the bed. I
defnitely would not recommend sneaking away anywhere out of sight of
the baby.

Kate
and the Bug, 10 months
Old April 9th 04, 10:41 PM
Carol Ann

I just can't get Morgan to sleep without me holding her or having her
suck
on my breast constantly.

I am really going crazy. Is it EVER okay to let your newborn cry in her
crib? If so, for how long?

Carol Ann, do you have a swing? Our baby (now a truly delightful 17mo)

went
through an "intense" stage early on. The swing made all the difference in
the world. She relaxed, we relaxed.

Yes, but unfortunately she only likes it for about 3 mins. I have the
aquarium swing which swings in two different directions.

We were given a couple of "Baby Einstein" tapes. Those, plus the swing,
often worked when nothing else did.

I really want the Einstein CDs and DVDs. I just think Morgan will really
enjoy them.

~Carol Ann

Old April 9th 04, 10:43 PM
Carol Ann

Is it EVER okay to let your newborn cry in her
crib? If so, for how long?

I vote yes. Better to have a baby cry in her crib while mom gets it
together than have a mom who doesn't have it together try to deal with
screaming baby on her last nerve. Make sure she's safe, put her down,
close the door, move out of earshot, take a couple of deep breaths, wait
until you can deal before you go back in. She'll be fine, and hopefully
you'll be better. Same applies if you need a shower, or a hot meal, or
to pee.

IMHO, this is much, much, much different than putting a baby in the crib
at bedtime and not going in until the next morning.

I agree with this completely. I've left Grace to cry for five or ten
minutes while I went into the other room, put in earplugs, and took a
drink of water and several deep breaths. I don't like it, and I don't
do it often, but she needs a sane Mama first and foremost. I don't do
it often, because I don't get to that point often and I really try not
to unless I NEED it, and I don't leave her for longer than five
minutes or so, both because of all the reasons everyone has given you
about babies learning to give up and simply because I can't stand it
for longer than that, and creep in to see what's up with her. A few
times she's calmed down and is lying cheerfully gazing at her mobile,
though she's never put herself to sleep that way. Most of the time
she's still wailing, and is so happy when I pick her up that she stops
then.

Naomi
mama to Grace 2/23/04

My doctor said that babies can smell their moms from more than 30 feet away.
LOL!

When I gaze at Morgan, I wonder if she actually smells me??

~Carol Ann

Old April 9th 04, 10:46 PM
Carol Ann

Can someone else take her for
awhile so you can recharge? Hang in there Carol, it can be hard at this
point. ((((Hugs)))

I fortunately have my mother to help. It has only been 2 weeks since she
came home, we are fairly well. I just want to do the right thing.

So far, I'm able to figure out what she wants and am getting to sleep.
Thank goodness for cosleeping!! Oh and Kevin sleeping on the floor away
from us. His snoring is horrible AND the bed isn't big enough for me,
Morgan, Charlie (my chihuahua) and Kevin.

LOL!

~Carol Ann

Old April 10th 04, 12:46 AM
nina

"Carol Ann" wrote

I really want the Einstein CDs and DVDs. I just think Morgan will really
enjoy them.

~Carol Ann

Turn the radio to the classical or smooth jazz station.

Old April 10th 04, 05:58 AM
Jill

"Carol Ann" wrote
Oh and Kevin sleeping on the floor away
from us. His snoring is horrible AND the bed isn't big enough for me,
Morgan, Charlie (my chihuahua) and Kevin.

Oh good, Charlie is still sleeping with you! Yay, so things are going ok for
the dog and baby. Lol.......I hate to say it, my husband snores too, and so
really, he'd be the first one I'd kick out of the bed, between him and the
baby and the cat. I already kicked him out a few weeks ago actually, so it's
just me, the cat, and my stomach (an entity all on it's own!) in the
queensize bed.

I've been wondering if a good investment would be to get one of the Arm's
Reach cosleepers-- but then, I am afraid of waking my husband up every 1-2
hours when the baby cries or is hungry since he has a long drive for work.
....how will it work with us all in the same room? I doubt my cat will hang
around anyway...I am afraid it will end up being my husband and cat in the
guestroom, me and the bay in the main bedroom. That would work but doesn't
feel right...

Old April 10th 04, 06:06 AM
Deirdre

(Pardon the top post)

I've got the Arm's Reach, and it's wonderful. I couldn't imagine having to
crawl completely out of bed, especially during those newborn weeks. If your
husband is even a moderately heavy sleeper, chances are you'll wake and tend
to the wee one long before he hears a thing.
And yes, the cat will co-op the sleeper when the baby's not in it.
Surrender yourself to that now. LOL

"Jill" wrote in message
om...

"Carol Ann" wrote

Old April 10th 04, 06:54 AM
Nikki

Jill wrote:

I've been wondering if a good investment would be to get one of the
Arm's Reach cosleepers-- but then, I am afraid of waking my husband
up every 1-2 hours when the baby cries or is hungry since he has a
long drive for work. ...how will it work with us all in the same
room? I doubt my cat will hang around anyway...I am afraid it will
end up being my husband and cat in the guestroom, me and the bay in
the main bedroom. That would work but doesn't feel right...

My dh hardly ever sleeps with me because he doesn't like to be woke at
night. It can be crowded but mostly he doesn't want to be disturbed. He
slept out on the couch at least 1/2 the time before I was pg though because
he likes the TV.

If room is an issue, forget the co-sleeper and get a king size bed if
possible. I don't have one but the few times we've slept in one, the
difference was amazing!!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)