another breastfeeding thing :)

Old March 11th 04, 02:04 AM
Leanne

Default another breastfeeding thing :)

I get the Coles Baby Magazine, I read an article in there that i thought
people might find helpful and/or interesting;

'Until recently the recommended age for starting soilds for baby was four
months, latterly, however, healthcare professionals are advising to delay
the introduction of solids to six months of age. This is the position
adopted by the World Health Organisation (WHO), which recommends "to achieve
optimal growth, development and health, infants should be exclusively
breastfed for the first six months of life." Breastmilk alone is certainly
nutritionally adequate for babies up until the age of six months and the WHO
advice is in line with additional research that has shown that delaying the
introduction of solids may also reduce the risk of babies developing
infections, food intolerances and allergies....'

this is part of an article i found about it

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/justbm.html

'The Australian Breastfeeding Association has, for many years, encouraged
parents to delay introducing solids until around six months of age.
Therefore, ABA welcomed the recent announcement that the new Australian
Dietary Guidelines just released by The National Health and Medical Research
Council (NHMRC) advises that babies should receive only breastmilk for the
first six months.
These guidelines outline the latest scientific evidence and mirror what our
association has been saying for years - that babies should be fed only
breastmilk for the first six months. Even when solids are introduced
gradually, breastfeeding should continue until one year and beyond - for as
long as the baby and mother desire.

The NHMRC is setting a target of 50% of mothers 'exclusively' breastfeeding
until six months. At the moment it is under 20%. (Exclusive breastfeeding
means babies receive no other foods, juice, vitamins, infant formula or
other milks.)

For most babies, there is no need to add to the breastmilk diet any earlier
than six months. There are good reasons for not introducing your baby to
other foods before she is about six months old. Breastfed babies often
reject solids, apart from 'tasting' them, well beyond the first year. Babies
will not benefit from the introduction of solids or other fluids until they
are developmentally ready.'

Old March 11th 04, 02:26 AM
Donna

"Leanne" wrote in message

The NHMRC is setting a target of 50% of mothers 'exclusively'

breastfeeding
until six months. At the moment it is under 20%. (Exclusive breastfeeding
means babies receive no other foods, juice, vitamins, infant formula or
other milks.)

I wonder what the rationale is for excluding vitamins from the recommended
intake during the first six months, given the risk of rickets and iron
deficiency? In the US the current recommendation is to supplement with
vitamin d when exclusively breastfeeding ( I don't know if there is a
recommendation to supplement the iron, but I don't believe there is). I
wonder why the difference between the two standards?

Donna

Old March 11th 04, 03:21 AM
HollyLewis

I wonder what the rationale is for excluding vitamins from the recommended
intake during the first six months, given the risk of rickets and iron
deficiency? In the US the current recommendation is to supplement with
vitamin d when exclusively breastfeeding ( I don't know if there is a
recommendation to supplement the iron, but I don't believe there is). I
wonder why the difference between the two standards?

Donna

I caught that too. No, there is no recommendation for iron supplements during
the first six months. Some doctors recommend them for the *second* six months
and beyond if the baby is not yet eating a significant quantity of iron-rich
foods. Yes, there is a recommendation to give Vitamin D, but it is a new and
rather controversial recommendation. The natural source of Vit D is sunlight.
Therefore, if your baby gets at least a few minutes of sun exposure most days,
s/he almost certainly does not need any Vit D supplement.

Vit D supplements are a good idea for dark-skinned babies, those who are
ordinarily kept completely covered by clothing when outdoors, and those living
in northern climes where the amount of sunlight is minimal. In fact, the same
rules apply for adults; if you are dark-skinned, usually wear a burqa, or live
in a region where you don't get much sunlight, and you don't consume foods that
contain Vit D supplements, then you should consider getting extra Vit D in pill
form.

In any event, I certainly wouldn't dispute the right of any mother who gave her
baby Vitamin D supplements to describe the baby as exclusively breastfed, at
least for ordinary purposes. I suppose it might make some difference if she's
giving the baby's medical history to a doctor.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old March 11th 04, 04:12 AM
Larissa

Donna wrote:
"Leanne" wrote in message

The NHMRC is setting a target of 50% of mothers 'exclusively'

breastfeeding

until six months. At the moment it is under 20%. (Exclusive breastfeeding
means babies receive no other foods, juice, vitamins, infant formula or
other milks.)

I wonder what the rationale is for excluding vitamins from the recommended
intake during the first six months, given the risk of rickets and iron
deficiency? In the US the current recommendation is to supplement with
vitamin d when exclusively breastfeeding ( I don't know if there is a
recommendation to supplement the iron, but I don't believe there is). I
wonder why the difference between the two standards?

Donna

I think it would be unlikely for most Australian babies to not have
some sort of exposure to sunlight. In general we have a mild, warm
climate and are usually advised to cover up as much as possible to avoid
the often extreme sunlight. My baby was sunburned at five weeks old
within 1.5 hours through the material of my sling. SHe was completely
covered.

Larissa

Old March 11th 04, 04:44 AM
Leanne

I wonder what the rationale is for excluding vitamins from the recommended
intake during the first six months, given the risk of rickets and iron
deficiency? In the US the current recommendation is to supplement with
vitamin d when exclusively breastfeeding ( I don't know if there is a
recommendation to supplement the iron, but I don't believe there is). I
wonder why the difference between the two standards?

I guess it has alot to do with the different climates that the two countries
have??? I'm not exactly sure

Australia's climate in winter will have quite a bit of sunshine (even though
it does get very cold as well) and as for summer, its often extreme heat.

Old March 11th 04, 06:04 AM
Daye

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:14:51 +0930, "Leanne"
wrote:

Australia's climate in winter will have quite a bit of sunshine (even though
it does get very cold as well) and as for summer, its often extreme heat.

It does depend on where you live. Melbourne only has a few days a
year of extreme heat. Summers are mild.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold
Old March 11th 04, 06:14 AM
Leanne

It does depend on where you live. Melbourne only has a few days a
year of extreme heat. Summers are mild.

hehehe, i realise this, but the majority of australia does get extreme heat
quite often... melbourne is just... weird lol

Leanne.

Old March 11th 04, 06:22 AM
Daye

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:44:50 +0930, "Leanne"
wrote:

hehehe, i realise this, but the majority of australia does get extreme heat
quite often... melbourne is just... weird lol

Melbourne is lovely. After living in Texas with tornadoes and 110F
heat in the summer, I love it.

Old March 11th 04, 11:32 AM
Donna

"HollyLewis" wrote in message

I caught that too. No, there is no recommendation for iron supplements

during
the first six months. Some doctors recommend them for the *second* six

months
and beyond if the baby is not yet eating a significant quantity of

iron-rich
foods.

Thanks, Holly. That is good info. And iirc, the new recommendations are
quite new - what, three years or something?

Yes, there is a recommendation to give Vitamin D, but it is a new and
rather controversial recommendation. The natural source of Vit D is

sunlight.
Therefore, if your baby gets at least a few minutes of sun exposure most

days,
s/he almost certainly does not need any Vit D supplement.

You know, when my pediatrician mentioned giving vitamin D, I sort of thought
DD might be getting enough sunlight to balance that, but I couldn't find any
source for how long the baby should be outdoors, should one not wish to give
the Vit. D. A few minutes? Hours? Since giving a vitamin isn't a big deal
for me, actually, is something I feel good about doing, I didn't worry about
it. I am interested, though. Anyone know how much time in the sun = the
recommended amount of Vitamin D? Just for curiosity....

In any event, I certainly wouldn't dispute the right of any mother who

gave her
baby Vitamin D supplements to describe the baby as exclusively breastfed,

at
least for ordinary purposes.

Who would? And why bother with labels anyway?

I suppose it might make some difference if she's
giving the baby's medical history to a doctor.

I can only imagine mentioning it because of the new recommendations.

Donna

Old March 11th 04, 01:14 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
HollyLewis wrote:

*rather controversial recommendation. The natural source of Vit D is sunlight.
*Therefore, if your baby gets at least a few minutes of sun exposure most days,
*s/he almost certainly does not need any Vit D supplement.

My understanding is the AAP is recommending the vitamin D because they
ALSO recommend *always* using extensive sun protection/sunscreen/keeping
baby in shade/etc -- they felt that for public health purposes, it made
more sense to recommend extreme caution with respect to sun exposure and
then add in the D supplementation than to suggest small amounts of sun
exposure are ok and avoiding the D supplementation. that's what my
pediatrician told me, anyway.

*In any event, I certainly wouldn't dispute the right of any mother who gave her
*baby Vitamin D supplements to describe the baby as exclusively breastfed, at
*least for ordinary purposes. I suppose it might make some difference if she's
*giving the baby's medical history to a doctor.

Yes, it might. If the baby had some strange problem, and the mother didn't
explain about the vitamins, the doctor could miss a case of vitamin-borne
illness (if the vitamins were contaminated during manufacturing or
something...)