Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

Old June 25th 04, 07:48 PM
Ellen Kmetz

Default Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

Do you call your nose "nosie" or your foot "footie"? I don't see a
difference! All body parts have names and whether the children are 4 or 14
they need to know.

I disagree. It has nothing to do with being uncomfortable, ashamed, etc. And
you can't assume that just because another parent hasn't discussed sex with
their kid yet means that they are ashamed of it. I've been through this with
one child, and this broad assumption that because you use "cute" names for
private body parts means the child grows up to be ashamed or "snicker" about
that part is absurd. If one chooses to teach that at a very young age, great.
As for the opinions of sex educators, yes, I would find it strange for
middle-schoolers to be learning about "winkies" and "boobies". But this thread
is not about middle-schoolers. As I said in my original post, by that age, they
certainly should know the correct terms. At age 4, I just don't see it as a
huge necessity in life.

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old June 25th 04, 08:11 PM
shirley

I wasn't speaking of middle aged students being taught "cute" names for body
parts, the educators specifically said "from the get go" to make sure the
information is accurate and right, not "cute" but of course this is
something each parent must decide for themselves. At 4 our twins knew the
names of body parts. Enough said.

Shirley

Old June 25th 04, 08:20 PM
Paula Johnson

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:32:34 GMT, "looneybird"
wrote:

What are some of the solutions you have used?

We haven't had to deal with it yet, but my girls' developmental
therapist and I just happened to be talking about this subject the
other day. She has a girl and two boys, and with her DD she uses
"front bottom" and "back bottom". :-)

--
Paula
Mom to Olivia and Cassie (b. 4/8/03)

Old June 25th 04, 08:45 PM
Missy in Indiana

What are some of the solutions you have used? Any advice?

Two 3yo girls here. They call their entire "private area" the bootie. We
believe they think they pee and poop out of the same "area", so they call it
the one name. It came about because we always jokingly say, "I'm gonna' get
your bootie" and then squeeze their bottom. They've simply never asked or
directly referred to it with regard to the act of pooping, peeing, touching
themselves, etc.

However, if they did, we would correct them and tell them what to call it:
vulva. If they asked more detailed questions, we would answer them with the
appropriate terms of vagina, urethra, etc. They already know that Daddy has a
penis, we all have breasts of different sizes, and Mommy and Daddy have pubic
hair. They understand that their bodies will change as they get older just as
their hair grows long each year.

My husband and I have been in the medical fields for years and just look at the
terminology as important education when *they* ask for answers. We want to
give them the right answers since it's not like any harm comes from it. Also,
I have a personal embarassing experience. It was from growing up in a home
where my vulva was referred to as a family made up name. This caused me a
horrible amount of regret as I grew older. I won't bore you with it, but my
personal experience has caused me to see a real negative impact that making up
a cutsie name for a body part as simple as "arm" or "leg" can have.

With that said, remember that this is just *my* take on it It's not like
I'm implying that another way of handling it wrong. It's just that simply
naming it the correct name is what we've chosen.

FWIW, I am a quite conservative gal who has not had a sexual experience other
than my DH. There have been a lot of comments regarding people being uptight
or not uptight w/regard to using correct terminology. You could say I am
uptight, but it's not a corresponding adjective considering my use of
terminology. So, that theory may be unwarranted? Food for thought...

Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)