Halloween has nothing to do with the dead anymore

Old October 17th 07, 08:22 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Halloween has nothing to do with the dead anymore

I believe that the spirit of Halloween has nothing to do with the
dead. I think it is a holiday for the living to enjoy especially the
kids. Kids to just love this Holiday for the candy and the costumes.
So I think people can continue to celebrate halloween because of its
feel good aspect. I do not think it's dark origin has much effect on
it. I think the good and pure spirits of the children has made it
into a very good holiday.

Do you think that we should abstain from Halloween activities because
of its origin?

GovernessJoy
http://123kidsoftheworld.blogspot.com

Old October 17th 07, 11:28 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:22:56 -0700, wrote:

I believe that the spirit of Halloween has nothing to do with the
dead. I think it is a holiday for the living to enjoy especially the
kids. Kids to just love this Holiday for the candy and the costumes.
So I think people can continue to celebrate halloween because of its
feel good aspect. I do not think it's dark origin has much effect on
it. I think the good and pure spirits of the children has made it
into a very good holiday.

Do you think that we should abstain from Halloween activities because
of its origin?

GovernessJoy
http://123kidsoftheworld.blogspot.com

I have no problem with Halloween. I'm sad to see people associate it with
evil. It used to be so popular here, until a few years ago when Halloween
fell on a Sunday. That day, all the churches were open and had their own
festivals and the kids haven't been back since. Now, they just go to
church. I was invited to go the churches at work, so my kids don't have to
go trick-or-treating. I said, no thanks, we have to have Halloween -- at
least as long as enough people celebrate it.
Old October 18th 07, 06:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Illiana via FamilyKB.com

toypup wrote:
I believe that the spirit of Halloween has nothing to do with the
dead. I think it is a holiday for the living to enjoy especially the

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
GovernessJoy
http://123kidsoftheworld.blogspot.com

I have no problem with Halloween. I'm sad to see people associate it with
evil. It used to be so popular here, until a few years ago when Halloween
fell on a Sunday. That day, all the churches were open and had their own
festivals and the kids haven't been back since. Now, they just go to
church. I was invited to go the churches at work, so my kids don't have to
go trick-or-treating. I said, no thanks, we have to have Halloween -- at
least as long as enough people celebrate it.

Christian touches in All Hallows eve-Halloween- All Souls Day-Feasy of all
Saints
Please feel free to school those uptight people that would accuse this
holiday of being evil

The true origins of Halloween lie with the ancient Celtic tribes who lived in
Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Brittany. For the Celts, November 1 marked the
beginning of a new year and the coming of winter. The night before the new
year, they celebrated the festival of Samhain, Lord of the Dead. During this
festival, Celts believed the souls of the dead—including ghosts, goblins and
witches—returned to mingle with the living. In order to scare away the evil
spirits, people would wear masks and light bonfires.

When the Romans conquered the Celts, they added their own touches to the
Samhain festival, such as making centerpieces out of apples and nuts for
Pomona, the Roman goddess of the orchards. The Romans also bobbed for apples
and drank cider—traditions which may sound familiar to you. But where does
the Christian aspect of the holiday come into play? In 835, Pope Gregory IV
moved the celebration for all the martyrs (later all saints) from May 13 to
November 1. The night before became known as All Hallow’s Even or “holy
evening.” Eventually the name was shortened to the current Halloween. On
November 2, the Church celebrates All Souls Day.

The purpose of these feasts is to remember those who have died, whether they
are officially recognized by the Church as saints or not. It is a celebration
of the “communion of saints,” which reminds us that the Church is not bound
by space or time.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says that through the communion of
saints “a perennial link of charity exists between the faithful who have
already reached their heavenly home, those who are expiating their sins in
purgatory and those who are still pilgrims on earth. Between them there is,
too, an abundant exchange of all good things”

I celebrate every year!

Old October 19th 07, 12:29 PM posted to misc.kids
Citcom

I believe that the spirit of Halloween has nothing to do with the
dead. I think it is a holiday for the living to enjoy especially the

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
GovernessJoy
http://123kidsoftheworld.blogspot.com

I have no problem with Halloween. I'm sad to see people associate it with
evil. It used to be so popular here, until a few years ago when Halloween
fell on a Sunday. That day, all the churches were open and had their own
festivals and the kids haven't been back since. Now, they just go to
church. I was invited to go the churches at work, so my kids don't have
go trick-or-treating. I said, no thanks, we have to have Halloween -- at
least as long as enough people celebrate it.

You ought to try living in Transylvania County that is also in the Bible
belt. Talk about a county with an identity crisis at Halloween.

--
L. Miller
My Homeeschool Space www.myhomeschoolplace.com/Hogwartsacademy/