Books in verse for 2.5yo

Old October 10th 03, 01:18 AM
Cathy Kearns

Default Books in verse for 2.5yo

One of my favs: The Happy Hippopotami
by Bill Martin

Great illustrations, and very singsong.

(Happy Hippopotami
on the sunny beach do lie
like a stretch of granite boulders
except, of course, for sunburnt shoulders.)

Okay, my kids are now 9 and 14, why do I remember that...

"Peggy Tatyana" wrote in message
"Robyn Kozierok" wrote:

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss). I
was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

Thanks in advance!

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Here are a few of my personal favorites:

Jamberry by Bruce Degan
Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw (with many sequels)
Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
A House Is a House for Me by Mary Ann Hoberman
Possum Com a-Knockin' by Nancy Van Laan
The Disappearing Alphabet by Richar Wilbur

The last of these is better, I expect, for children old enough to

recognize
letters and their sounds, but it's too delightful to leave off.

If you want a real deluge, you might ask over at rec.arts.books.childrens.

Peggy

Old October 10th 03, 03:52 AM
Beeswing

I wrote:

If you haven't yet discovered the Sandra Boynton board books, you are in
for a treat. My daughter and my favorites were "Blue Hat, Green Hat" and
(especially) "But Not the Hippopotamus." Boynton's "Snoozers," which is
a songbook with a tape, is a kick, too. We also liked the board book
"Shoes" by Elizabeth Winthrop.

Well, I tried to correct this earlier but apparently the post didn't make it
in. The Boynton books I've called out here are NOT rhyming books, but she does
have several, and they are lots of fun. I'd give you some titles, but it looks
like my husband has already removed them from my now-8-year-old's shelf.
"Shoes" *is* in rhyme, though, and is charming.

beeswing

Old October 10th 03, 12:58 PM
Laura E. Brooks

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss). I
was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

My son's absolute favorite was "Good Knight", by Linda Rymill, about getting
a very imaginative little boy to bed. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Laura

Old October 10th 03, 01:07 PM
Laura E. Brooks

I just thought of a couple more that both my kids loved:

"Halloween House" and "Big Pumpkin" by Erica Silverman. The latter isn't
strictly in rhyme, but parts of it are, and the other parts repeat in a way
the kids loved.

I think one or both liked "Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear"?, too, by Nancy
White.

Laura

Old October 10th 03, 01:31 PM
Scott Lindstrom

Laura E. Brooks wrote:
I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss). I
was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

My son's absolute favorite was "Good Knight", by Linda Rymill, about getting
a very imaginative little boy to bed. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I don't remember if they are rhyming books, but DS loved
the Bruno series by Lars Klinting.

Scott DD 10 and DS 7

Old October 10th 03, 02:50 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article , Beeswing wrote:
"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss).

was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

Thanks in advance!

If you haven't yet discovered the Sandra Boynton board books, you are in
for a treat. My daughter and my favorites were "Blue Hat, Green Hat" and
(especially) "But Not the Hippopotamus." Boynton's "Snoozers," which is
a songbook with a tape, is a kick, too.

Oh yes, those have all be favorites since Ryan was a toddler, and "The
Going to Bed Book" was Matthew's favorite bedtime story for quite a while.

We also liked the board book
"Shoes" by Elizabeth Winthrop.

I'll look for this one.

Thanks to you and everyone else who is contributing on this thread.
I'm making a list for library day!

--Robyn

Old October 10th 03, 02:50 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Peggy Tatyana wrote:

Jamberry by Bruce Degan

Oh, yes, I just love Jamberry!

A few of our other favorites, in case anyone else is interested:
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault
Time for Bed by Mem Fox
Sleepy Bears by Mem Fox
Teeny Tiny Mouse by Laura Leuck
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Is your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino

Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw (with many sequels)
Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
A House Is a House for Me by Mary Ann Hoberman
Possum Com a-Knockin' by Nancy Van Laan
The Disappearing Alphabet by Richar Wilbur

The last of these is better, I expect, for children old enough to recognize
letters and their sounds, but it's too delightful to leave off.

Thanks!

--Robyn

Old October 10th 03, 04:52 PM
lynn

In article ,
(Robyn Kozierok) wrote:

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss). I
was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

Thanks in advance!

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

There's the classic - "Madeline" by Ludwig Bemelmans and sequels.

I second "Each Peach Pear Plum" by Janet and Allan Ahlberg - I love this
and don't get sick of reading it! They also wrote "Peek-a-boo", which
has the interesting setting of a 1940's British family - it's charming
and has nice rhymes.

Someone mentioned Boynton. My favorite, which does rhyme, is "Hippos Go
Berzerk!" (One hippo, all alone, calls two hippos on the phone...)
Wonderful!

Another great one is "Miss Spider's Tea Party" (and the other Miss
Spider books). Really great, good pictures and good rhymes. Highly
recommended!

And there are lots of songs that are made into books. We have
"Five Little Monkeys" (and there are lots of sequels now too, also in
rhyme I believe. They're cute.)
"Five little ducks" and "Baby Beluga", by Raffi, and I've seen other
Raffi books like "Tingalayo."
"There was an old lady who swallowed a fly"
"Knick Knack Paddy Whack"
"Little White Duck" ("I'm a little white duck sitting in the water, a
little white duck doing what he oughter."

And depending on interests... We have "Red Caboose: A Little Lionel Book
about Colors" that is great for my 2.5yo train fanatic. Also "Rob's
Shiny Dump Truck" (a little people book) that rhymes. And a "Trucks"
(Chunky Shape Books) board book that rhymes.

- Lynn