supplementing with formula - does anyone here?

Old October 13th 03, 09:59 AM
Andrea

Default supplementing with formula - does anyone here?

That makes him 5 months! geez.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 18lbs @ 18 weeks. (7lbs 9 and
a half born).

Old October 13th 03, 10:02 AM
Andrea

My clinic say count by weeks or months, it all balances out in the end.

Old October 13th 03, 10:07 AM
Andrea

I couldn't cope with Kamrons constant demand. I waited 2 and a half weeks
for it to pass, but it didn't. He went from a baby who slept all night, to a
baby that fed non-stop day and night. I couldn't cope any longer. I lost
sleep, (which I expected with a baby), but on top of that our 2 yr old
screams all night when he was sleeping through the night, I had to quit
college, I had no time for chores the house was a mess, no time for the kids
which all made my PPD much worse. One son has Apraxia another hyperactive
with tourettes.
I would have put him on formula, because it is thicker than breastmilk, and
keeps them satisfied a lot longer than breastmilk. Many people I know have
babies that sleep through the night, and are formula fed.
However I want to continue breastfeeding, so have opted to introduce solids
instead of giving up nursing. Kam is a big boy now, and I can't keep up with
the amount of feeds he wants.
Many people I have spoken with have babies that are 1 year before they have
reached Kami's weight at almost 5 months, and they started with huge babies.
Kam was only 7lbs 9 and a half at birth, so i'm proud to have got him this
far. Even if I quit breastfeeding, you couldn't make me feel bad. It's my
choice to make, and nobody here has the right to judge me or anyone else.
I notice that there are many 'sheep-like' posts on this NG. One woman says
one thing like "Ooh I couldn't believe a woman could give solids to a baby
that age" and you all suck up to each other, kissing each others butts
falling over yourselves to agree with the OP.
I am not like that,and I post without worrying about what you think. Unlike
the woman who is afraid to post that she supplements with formula, cause she
knows people will be on her back.

I have just introduced a new Doula service to my area, I do it free for
teenage pregnant moms.
They need someone who is non-judgemental, just like many women on this NG
do.
So respect each others individual circumstances before you attack.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 19+ weeks.

Old October 13th 03, 11:22 AM
KC

"Andrea" wrote in message ...
"Anne Rogers" wrote,

He's at the bottom end of the age range for solids, but if he needs it
then he needs it. Nathanael's a week older and we tried him on some rice
as our HV reccomended it as he had lost weight, he hated it and clearly
wasn't ready, so we stopped.

I find my 5 babies never touched plain babyrice - I don't blame them it's
yuk! Kami like something with a bit of flavour, baby rice with a hint of
orange.

My first never liked rice cereal, and still doesn't like starchy
foods, but boy Jessi loves it the best of anything. I think she even
loves it better than breast milk. I have tried to mix fruit with it a
few times and she still eats it but her excitement is less than when
she just eats that plain mixed with water rice cereal . I think yuck,
but she loves it.

KC -
buy or rent Whittlestone Breast Expressers at:
http://www.alittlestore.com
Old October 13th 03, 11:39 AM
Anne Rogers

My clinic say count by weeks or months, it all balances out in the end.

yes, but be consistent, 20 weeks is 20 weeks, 5 months is not, just like
if you make a cake you either weigh out all the ingredients in grams or
all in pounds and ounces.

Sorry if this sounds pedantic, but this is what every having studied
physics does to you :-(.

Btw, I think your local doula service sounds great.

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old October 13th 03, 01:14 PM
Shannon G

However I want to continue breastfeeding, so have opted to introduce
solids
instead of giving up nursing. Kam is a big boy now, and I can't keep up

with
the amount of feeds he wants.

Fat is what keeps you satiated. Rice cereal and jarred fruits and veggies
have no fat in them and +/- 60 calories per jar. Breastmilk has 100
calories for a 5 oz *serving* and is high in fat. Again, I'm not
disagreeing that your DS was ready for solids, I just disagree with the
claims you make that solids are necessary because you *can't keep up* with
your big baby. Breastmilk is still the best way to get in the *extra* feeds
you think he needs. How in the world did your DS get to be 18 lbs......Big
Macs g?

Shannon

Old October 13th 03, 03:41 PM
iphigenia

Andrea wrote:
I would have put him on formula, because it is thicker than
breastmilk, and keeps them satisfied a lot longer than breastmilk.

It is not thicker, it's just harder to digest.

I notice that there are
many 'sheep-like' posts on this NG. One woman says one thing like
"Ooh I couldn't believe a woman could give solids to a baby that age"
and you all suck up to each other, kissing each others butts falling
over yourselves to agree with the OP.

Oh, please. There are a lot of women here who have educated themselves on
infant feeding, and we happen to agree with each other. I don't think anyone
here tries to suck up to anyone, we just happen to have the same opinions on
a lot of things. And it's nice to be able to talk to like-minded *people*
(there are, after all, men here, it's not just women), when many of us have
real-life acquaintances telling us to go ahead and start loading formula
bottles up with cereal at two weeks and making disparaging comments about
breastfeeding. OK? This is a safe harbor for women who want reinforcement
that what they're doing really is right and good.

I understand you're feeling attacked, but perhaps you should think twice
about lashing out at a large segment of the group. Many of us have tried to
help you in the past (including me, not that I can find any sign that you
bother to read my replies to you).

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 13th 03, 05:24 PM
badgirl

"Andrea" wrote in message
I couldn't cope with Kamrons constant demand. I waited 2 and a half weeks
for it to pass, but it didn't. He went from a baby who slept all night, to

baby that fed non-stop day and night.

*snip rest of long double post*

Andrea, not meaning to attack you in any way but would you mind including
the text to which you are replying to at the end of the post please? It
makes it so much easier to follow the conversation being had. To see a post
like this with no previous text included looks like you're just making a new
post out of the blue and I have *NO* idea who it is you are responding to or
what it was that upset you in the first place. Imagine calling someone up on
the phone and saying top them everything you just said in the same way you
said it, they'd think you were a raving lunatic because you picked up a
conversation right in the middle with no prior context.

Jen

Old October 13th 03, 06:36 PM
Nikki

(teapot) wrote in message

It seems the others have either started their babies on solids at
around 4 months and/or are supplementing with forumla. Is this common
practice? I am not considering it for us but would like to know if
any of you lot supplement.

I supplemented Luke with formula at 6 months due to a shortfall in
pump output. I have known quite a few people that supplement with
formula though. Some go on to breastfeed quite a long time, others do
not.

--

Nikki
Mama to Hunter and Luke
Old October 13th 03, 08:35 PM
Charlotte Millington

"Andrea" wrote in message ...

I have just introduced a new Doula service to my area, I do it free for
teenage pregnant moms.
They need someone who is non-judgemental, just like many women on this NG
do.

Yes, teen moms do need non-judgemental support. What they do not need
is more misinformation. Many of them *became* teen moms because they
already had misinformtion.

Some of your last post is not only very judgemental, it is harsh and
misinformed: a poor combination.

So respect each others individual circumstances before you attack.

As I read your post, I had a very similar thought run through my head
about you applying this to yourself.

Charlotte