supplementing with formula - does anyone here?

Old October 14th 03, 03:07 PM
Mary W.

Default Do you have to - was supplementing with formula - does anyone here?

teapot wrote:

I am very keen to not use formula, apart from the ethical nestle
stuff, there is all the hassle of bottles and sterilizing I really
don't want to be bothered with. Also, me and his dad are allergic to
cows milk so he may be and soya is full of hormones so thats another
reason for me not to go that route.

At 4 months my milk supply is fine, Moo boys poos have just changed so
I guss my milk has changed in some way too.

Is my supply likely to change? He isnt on solids yet - can I just
wean straight onto solids and miss out the formula?

If you are nursing on demand, there is no reason why the introduction of
solids would mean you'd have to introduce formula. At 6 months solids
are mostly for practice. As a baby gets older, they'll start eating more
solids and nursing less. Usually it works just fine - your body will make
as much milk as your baby demands. Many women continue to nurse
for years after the transition to solids is essentially complete.

If you work outside the home and have to pump, then you may end up
supplementing with formula if you can't keep up.

Mary

Old October 14th 03, 03:39 PM
iphigenia

teapot wrote:

At 4 months my milk supply is fine, Moo boys poos have just changed so
I guss my milk has changed in some way too.

It's more that his GI system is maturing.

Is my supply likely to change? He isnt on solids yet - can I just
wean straight onto solids and miss out the formula?

Well, millions of babies for thousands of years have managed to go straight
from breast milk to solids, so I imagine yours won't suffer any deleterious
effects from not getting formula (i'm snickering at the irony there, heh).

Plenty of people on this group alone have managed to not use any formula. My
DS never had a drop.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 14th 03, 03:43 PM
iphigenia

Default supplementing with formula - does anyone here?

Andrea wrote:

I didn't mean attacked as in myself, I meant many women on here that
have been attacked.

Emily didn't say, "I almost never see attacks ON YOU." She said she almost
never sees attacks. Care to give some examples of the myriad other women
being attacked?

People offer advice, but at the end of the day it's down to
the individual to decide, and just because people don't like it,
doesn't mean they should be attacked for their choice.

Have to disagree with you on that. There's a line that has to be drawn
between "parental choice" and "protecting children." If a parent decides not
to use car seats, is that just their choice? There are all sorts of
behaviors that parents decide to engage in that are deserving of vociferous
disagreement. Why do you think agencies like DSS and CPS *exist*?

Old October 14th 03, 04:10 PM
Charlotte Millington

Dawn Lawson wrote in message news:BkDib.86061$pl3.45273@pd7tw3no...

Hi Charlotte.
May I kiss your backside? Because I agree 100% with this post.
Baaaaaa! ;-)))

ROFLMAO!

I'm not even sure what the Emily Post approach to this would be!

Charlotte
Old October 14th 03, 04:47 PM
badgirl

"Dawn Lawson" wrote
I apologise to mkb for this foolishness from Sharon.
Unfortunately she may resurface again here if she doesn't like something
I post to rec.equestrian as she's promised "retaliation" here. I'm not
sure that there's anything I can do, as usenet is a public forum, and I
can't see being censored for entirely standard posts to another group.

Dawn

No apology neccessary Dawn, I have a killfile and have no problems using it.
I trust and respect your opinions here and what you say here has nothing to
do with your posts on another group. It seems to me that she is in fact the
troll here because she came all the way over here to try and discredit you,
so whatever she just got herself a free ticket into my idiot bin

Jen

Old October 14th 03, 05:15 PM
Dawn Lawson

Nan wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:43:17 -0600, "iphigenia"
wrote:

Have to disagree with you on that. There's a line that has to be drawn
between "parental choice" and "protecting children." If a parent decides not
to use car seats, is that just their choice? There are all sorts of
behaviors that parents decide to engage in that are deserving of vociferous
disagreement. Why do you think agencies like DSS and CPS *exist*?

Oh FFS. This is exactly the type of post that makes people lurking
here for information and insight think this group is filled with
over-zealous posters.

No wonder so many people steer clear of this group.

*g*
I bet many people steer clear of many groups ;-)
It's pretty full of posters regardless.

Dawn

Including me again.

Nan

Old October 14th 03, 06:12 PM
teapot

"Mary W." wrote in message ...
teapot wrote:

I am very keen to not use formula,snip

Is my supply likely to change? He isnt on solids yet - can I just
wean straight onto solids and miss out the formula?

If you are nursing on demand, there is no reason why the introduction of
solids would mean you'd have to introduce formula. At 6 months solids
are mostly for practice. As a baby gets older, they'll start eating more
solids and nursing less. Usually it works just fine - your body will make
as much milk as your baby demands. Many women continue to nurse
for years after the transition to solids is essentially complete.

If you work outside the home and have to pump, then you may end up
supplementing with formula if you can't keep up.

I have embraced poverty wholehearteldy as an alternative to working at
the mo, so either moo comes with me or i have 3 hr slots where i can
work.

teapot
Old October 14th 03, 06:45 PM
Lucy

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
It seems the others have either started their babies on solids at
around 4 months and/or are supplementing with forumla. Is this common
practice? I am not considering it for us but would like to know if
any of you lot supplement.

Mine never had any solid food before about 5 1/2 months and has still never
had formula. She's almost 11 months now.

I was once at a new mothers' group (the 3-6 month old class) when she was 5
months old. For some reason, they went round the room and asked how everyone
was doing with feeding and how they were taking their cereal. When I said
mine was still only getting breastmilk, there were a few surprised looks and
even some disapproving grunts! I never went back there.

Old October 14th 03, 07:08 PM
Dawn Lawson

badgirl wrote:
"Dawn Lawson" wrote

I apologise to mkb for this foolishness from Sharon.
Unfortunately she may resurface again here if she doesn't like something
I post to rec.equestrian as she's promised "retaliation" here. I'm not
sure that there's anything I can do, as usenet is a public forum, and I
can't see being censored for entirely standard posts to another group.

Dawn

No apology neccessary Dawn,

I just feel bad that the thread's been hijacked.

I have a killfile and have no problems using it.
I trust and respect your opinions here

Thanks for that. I've got more faith in my horse experience, but then
that's 25 years worth, compared to my bfding history. ;-)

and what you say here has nothing to
do with your posts on another group.

Well, you're welcome to google them, all 10 years worth. I suspect you
won't be horrified or wonder if I'm the same person. There's other
people here who are on that group too, and I'm not appearing lunatic to
them, it seems. The tone of that newsgroup is somewhat different than
here, but that's not enough to justify this nonsense. I talk to my
sister differently than my dr differently than my collegues differently
than my friends, etc, but who doesn't??

It seems to me that she is in fact the
troll here because she came all the way over here to try and discredit you,
so whatever she just got herself a free ticket into my idiot bin

*g* I concur.
Killfiles.
A sensible way to remove people who you'd rather not see.
I've suggested it. Apparently it's a non-starter.
I hope my apology can be re-referenced as necessary.

Dawn

Old October 14th 03, 07:14 PM
P. G. Chavez

Andrea wrote and I snipped:

I couldn't cope with Kamrons constant demand. I waited 2 and a half weeks
for it to pass, but it didn't. He went from a baby who slept all night, to a
baby that fed non-stop day and night. I couldn't cope any longer. I lost
sleep, (which I expected with a baby), but on top of that our 2 yr old
screams all night when he was sleeping through the night, I had to quit
college, I had no time for chores the house was a mess, no time for the kids
which all made my PPD much worse. One son has Apraxia another hyperactive
with tourettes.
I would have put him on formula, because it is thicker than breastmilk, and
keeps them satisfied a lot longer than breastmilk. Many people I know have
babies that sleep through the night, and are formula fed.
However I want to continue breastfeeding, so have opted to introduce solids
instead of giving up nursing. Kam is a big boy now, and I can't keep up with
the amount of feeds he wants.
Many people I have spoken with have babies that are 1 year before they have
reached Kami's weight at almost 5 months, and they started with huge babies.
Kam was only 7lbs 9 and a half at birth, so i'm proud to have got him this
far. Even if I quit breastfeeding, you couldn't make me feel bad. It's my
choice to make, and nobody here has the right to judge me or anyone else.

So respect each others individual circumstances before you attack.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 19+ weeks.

Okay, I just can't lurk on this thread any longer without pointing our
some of your math errors and misinformation. First of all, as Kamron
was born on June 5, he is now 18 1/2 weeks old. He will be 19 weeks old
on Thursday, October 16. Furthermore, he was 4 months old on October 5,
and will be 5 months old on November 5, which is 3 weeks from now. It
seems from your posts that you started solids before 4 months.

About breastmilk not being enough because of his weight..... How do you
think he got that big? You were nursing him exclusively, right? I
suppose you could have developed a supply issue, and it's your choice on
when you begin solids, but I hope you're not implying that anyone with a
baby as big as yours will need to use either solids or formula to
satisfy her baby.

I'll give you myself as an example, and I imagine there are many others
with similar tales. My son was 7 lbs, 11 oz at birth (about 38 weeks
gestation). He weighed 20 lbs at 6 months and 26 lbs at 10 months. He
was exclusively breastfed until I dabbled with solids at about 6 1/2
months, but he wouldn't eat them until he was about 10 1/2 months.

Now, Kamron sounds lovely, and I would be proud too, for what you've
done for him. I'm sure you've made the best decision you could. But,
formula will not make a baby sleep through the night, and adding solids
is not the only way to keep a big baby off formula. It just won't be
the best decision for many other families.

Take care,
-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]