Getting Married

Old April 19th 06, 12:51 AM posted to alt.child-support

Default Getting Married

Hi,

I am about to get married to a guy with a daughter. He pays his child
support every month. He and his ex have a verbal agreement to pay a
fixed amount every month.

My question is, if this relationship were to ever go south, could his
ex go after me for child support?

Cautious in CA

Old April 19th 06, 07:56 PM posted to alt.child-support

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am about to get married to a guy with a daughter. He pays his child
support every month. He and his ex have a verbal agreement to pay a
fixed amount every month.

My question is, if this relationship were to ever go south, could his
ex go after me for child support?

Cautious in CA

Rebecca,

This is what I'd recommend. I'm not a lawyer, just another divorcee with a
child that will marry again in the future.

Do not have joint checking / savings accounts. If your money is in a joint
account Child Support Enforcement can "sweep it" to get any "arrears" that
he may owe. Keep any money that you both need to pay bills (Mortgage, cars
and such) in YOUR separate account. Then the money is safe.

File taxes seperately. That way if his Ex goes for a support order or a
modification she doesn't get to see how much you make.

Have a will done up so that you are taken care of if anything happens to
him. Example: He dies and you get to split your money with his child (read
mother 'till said child is 18).

Anything else anybody?

Big RJ

Old April 19th 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.child-support

"Big RJ" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
[...]

==
Is CA a community property state? If it is, I'm not sure separate accounts
will matter.
==

Old April 20th 06, 01:34 AM posted to alt.child-support

Yes, CA is a community property state. Why won't it matter?

Old April 20th 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.child-support

"Big RJ" wrote in message
news

"Becca" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, CA is a community property state. Why won't it matter?

I have no idea why is matters or not. If you have an account with your
hubby to be it is both your money and CSE can take it to cover arrears.

I am not being negative about this. Becca, in my mind there is nothing
wrong with your man. He has an agreement with his Ex to pay child
support.
He pays support. He should do some "cover your ass" work and make the
support legit in case his Ex ever goes wacko.

I will do the things I recommended before if I remarry. I don't want

anyone
knowing how much I make or having a right to see my bank statements. If

my
g/f's Ex goes for a modification of support for their child he wont see
anything with my name on it.... ever. He can see HER taxes and HER bank
statements but that's it.

With all due respect, this comment is naive.

CSE has direct access into the state's Employment Department system where
they can see anybody's income history. They have access to your tax
returns. CSE also has "sniffer" programs where they can look at every
financial holding you have. Even though citizens do not, and may never, owe
CS they are tracked in the Federal Parent Locator computer by their Social
Security or Tax ID Number. Government intrusions into everyone's personal
life are abusive but already in place. And what is most troubling is low
level CS caseworkers are given access to your personal financial history
with no legal restrictions on what they can see.

Old April 20th 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.child-support

"Becca" wrote
Yes, CA is a community property state. Why won't it matter?

==
It *does* matter as Tracy explained. In non community property states, a
spouses income/assets cannot be attached for the
other spouse's debts unless there is the co-mingling thing that Barry
described. You have gotten very good advice here and
would do well to follow it. Bottom line--Do not marry that man until all
your ducks are in a row--and maybe not until his kids reach the age of
majority.
It is a jungle out there--really.
==