Caloric intake

Old February 25th 04, 12:40 AM
JennP

Default Caloric intake

What is the recommended caloric intake for pregnant women? I've read that it
ranges from 2100-2500 calories. Does that sound right?

The reason I ask is because I've been doing Weight Watchers successfully
since the new year. I lost 13 lbs since Jan 1. I like counting points and
it's easier for me than trying to follow the food pyramid. **I'm not trying
to lose weight** but I am trying to stay within the correct calorie intake
and do that through Points. Food is an issue with me and I'm trying to
continue the healthier lifestyle I've been successful with in the past two
months.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old February 25th 04, 01:52 AM
Ericka Kammerer

JennP wrote:

What is the recommended caloric intake for pregnant women? I've read that it
ranges from 2100-2500 calories. Does that sound right?

The reason I ask is because I've been doing Weight Watchers successfully
since the new year. I lost 13 lbs since Jan 1. I like counting points and
it's easier for me than trying to follow the food pyramid. **I'm not trying
to lose weight** but I am trying to stay within the correct calorie intake
and do that through Points. Food is an issue with me and I'm trying to
continue the healthier lifestyle I've been successful with in the past two
months.

Try the book _Eating Expectantly_ by Bridget Swinney
(? title's correct, but I might be off a bit on the author).
It has detailed information on what you need from your diet
in pregnancy. Personally, I wouldn't go by calories, because
you can get too many calories but not enough nutrients. She
gives good information on how to figure out what's reasonable
to be eating without driving yourself nuts.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 25th 04, 09:44 AM
Maggie

JennP spake thusly
What is the recommended caloric intake for pregnant women? I've read that it
ranges from 2100-2500 calories. Does that sound right?

The reason I ask is because I've been doing Weight Watchers successfully
since the new year.

I was following WW before becoming pregnant. I was using the Pure
Points system, and have no idea of what calories that equals. I was
lucky in that I had very little to no m/s and kept eating the same
things I was eating on plan, but allowed myself a muffin or the odd
biscuit, as well as extra cheese, etc, making sure I never felt hungry.
(I also take a prenatal vitamin daily, as advised by my midwife.) I've
noticed since hitting the third trimester that I'm a little hungrier, so
I've upped my food intake a bit. I think as long as you continue eating
healthily and don't go hungry, you should be fine.

Of course, if you have really bad m/s, your healthy eating plan may go
out the window for a bit.

(And having just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, looks like my
muffins and bikkies are out the window too... not fair!!)

--
Maggie
EDD 28 April #1
Old February 25th 04, 04:07 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:40:36 +0000, JennP wrote:

What is the recommended caloric intake for pregnant women? I've read that it
ranges from 2100-2500 calories. Does that sound right?

For a healthy 30 y/o woman it's about 1800-2000 calories, pregancy adding
a few hundred, I'd say you are in the right range. But rather than
watching your diet, especially in the first trimester, I would recommend
excercising. It is a much better way to maintain your health, weight and
become fit for delivery. A decent workout 3-4 times a week is about right
for pregnant women, but take things easier than you normally would. As
long as you feel OK with the WW though, there is no harm in continuing,
but I know for me I get real bad cravings...

--
-- I
mommy to DS (19m)

Old February 25th 04, 07:18 PM
JennP

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
For a healthy 30 y/o woman it's about 1800-2000 calories, pregancy adding
a few hundred, I'd say you are in the right range.

Thanks.

But rather than
watching your diet, especially in the first trimester, I would recommend
excercising. It is a much better way to maintain your health, weight and
become fit for delivery. A decent workout 3-4 times a week is about right
for pregnant women, but take things easier than you normally would.

Oh, I do workout about 4-5 times/week. It's become part of my regular
routine over the past couple of months.

As
long as you feel OK with the WW though, there is no harm in continuing,
but I know for me I get real bad cravings...

See, that's the beauty of WW, you can have those cravings, just in correct
portions.

I exercise and eat the right foods, I just eat too much of the right foods
along with some of the wrong foods. I eat plenty of protien, whole grains,
exceed my daily intakes of fruits/veggies, drink my water, etc. WW just
gives me a guideline on how to manage all that.
--
JennP.

"I base my fashion on what doesn't itch" Gilda Radner

Old February 25th 04, 07:21 PM
JennP

"Maggie" wrote in message

I was following WW before becoming pregnant. I was using the Pure
Points system, and have no idea of what calories that equals.

Supposedly in the US, it's 50 calories roughly equals 1pt.

that I'm a little hungrier, so
I've upped my food intake a bit. I think as long as you continue eating
healthily and don't go hungry, you should be fine.

Right. I plan to adjust my intake as needed. I'm pretty in tune with my body
foodwise right now so I know when I need more.

Of course, if you have really bad m/s, your healthy eating plan may go
out the window for a bit.

(And having just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, looks like my
muffins and bikkies are out the window too... not fair!!)

I've never had m/s thankfully and so far it looks the same so far this time
around. Glad to hear it's all working for you. Good luck with the gd.

Old February 25th 04, 10:20 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:18:26 +0000, JennP wrote:

I exercise and eat the right foods, I just eat too much of the right foods
along with some of the wrong foods. I eat plenty of protien, whole grains,
exceed my daily intakes of fruits/veggies, drink my water, etc. WW just
gives me a guideline on how to manage all that.

Good for you! I know food can be a big issue during pregnancy, and having
one less worry is always good. It sounds like you are well on your way
into a fit and healthy pregnancy. Way to go!

Old February 25th 04, 10:49 PM
Christine

I just read that a pregnant women only needs an extra 200 calories a
day.....

I think we take in more than that...:-)))))

but they said all we NEED is an extra 200

Old February 25th 04, 11:11 PM
JennP

"Christine" wrote in message
I just read that a pregnant women only needs an extra 200 calories a
day.....

I think we take in more than that...:-)))))

but they said all we NEED is an extra 200

Exactly. I have trouble reining myself in without 200 extra calories. What's
200 calories? A couple of eggs? You need the protien anyway.

Old February 26th 04, 10:05 AM
Maggie

JennP spake thusly

"Maggie" wrote in message

I was following WW before becoming pregnant. I was using the Pure
Points system, and have no idea of what calories that equals.

Supposedly in the US, it's 50 calories roughly equals 1pt.

I was using the UK version, and the formula I just found is:
p = c/70 + sf/4
I think the sf relates to fibre

that I'm a little hungrier, so
I've upped my food intake a bit. I think as long as you continue eating
healthily and don't go hungry, you should be fine.

Right. I plan to adjust my intake as needed. I'm pretty in tune with my body
foodwise right now so I know when I need more.

Exactly what I found. I got into a routine easily enough, and knew when
to adjust it.

I've never had m/s thankfully and so far it looks the same so far this time
around. Glad to hear it's all working for you. Good luck with the gd.

Well, at 31 weeks I haven't put on any "extra" weight, apparently, which
I'm relieved about, as I started out a little overweight. More
importantly, I feel good. (how long that will last, I don't know! )

I still haven't seen the consultant about the GD as my midwife forgot to
post the referral letter.. arrrrrrrggh! Anyway, should be able to sort
all that next week and find out what I'm in for.
--
Maggie
EDD 28 April #1