childproofing spiral staircase

Old August 19th 05, 01:22 AM
RobR

Default childproofing spiral staircase

Any thoughts on childproofing an iron spiral staircase while still making it
look presentable? All we can come up with is a gate at the bottom and
wrapping carpet around it (ick). A gate system will not work the way the
staircase is placed within the room (or would cost a zillion dollars and
take up half the room)

thanks!

Old August 19th 05, 02:44 AM
Nan

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:22:44 GMT, "RobR" wrote:

Any thoughts on childproofing an iron spiral staircase while still making it
look presentable? All we can come up with is a gate at the bottom and
wrapping carpet around it (ick). A gate system will not work the way the
staircase is placed within the room (or would cost a zillion dollars and
take up half the room)

How about something like this?

http://tinyurl.com/8qa8m

Nan
Old August 19th 05, 07:11 AM
Jamie Clark

I wouldn't worry too much on making it look presentable. It's only for a a
year/year and a half, then you can un-baby-proof it.

That all being said, what about a 6 sided play yard around the base? If
they are too small, you could get two and hook them together. Then the
child can't walk close enough to the steps to bump their head, plus it would
keep them from going up the stairs. I assume bumping the head is why you'd
be wrapping it in carpet?
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

newsD9Ne.4310$_D4.3425@trndny05...

Old August 19th 05, 10:33 AM
Anne Rogers

hadn't thought about the bumping head issue 'til Jamie mentioned it, one way
would be to get the foam tubes that are used for insulating pipes, they are
slit along the length and are reasonably bendy, I've seen some very neat
head protection jobs done with those.

As for preventing going up, we have a funny layout at the bottom of our
stairs and went for nothing, we just taught him to go up and down stairs
safely and made sure he knew it wasn't for playing, just for getting from A
to B and we've had no problems. We do have a gate at the top to prevent from
unintended trips down the stairs due to taking a tumble on the landing, the
top of the stairs are between our bedroom and his. It also helps if we want
to restrict what part of the house he is for any reason.

Personally for stair gates I'd definitely be looking for one that doesn't
have a bar across the bottom, I call them trip bars, in our house hold they
would cause more accidents than having the gate could possible prevent!

Anne

Old August 19th 05, 02:12 PM
Nikki

RobR wrote:
Any thoughts on childproofing an iron spiral staircase while still
making it look presentable? All we can come up with is a gate at the
bottom and wrapping carpet around it (ick). A gate system will not
work the way the staircase is placed within the room (or would cost a
zillion dollars and take up half the room)

thanks!

I like Nan's idea for the safety net along the rails but I'm not sure you'd
need to do anything with them. I'd put a gate at the top and a gate at the
bottom. Go up a few steps if you need to find a place where a gate can be
attatched. A few steps won't be such a big deal to watch baby from, a while
stair case would be another matter!

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old August 19th 05, 10:05 PM
Nan

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:07:47 -0400, "JennP"
wrote:

And good luck trying to find
one second hand. No where to be found.

HTH,

I bought ours on eBay. It cost $30 with shipping, so they can be had,
but they're definitely not plentiful.

Nan
Old August 19th 05, 10:07 PM
JennP

"RobR" wrote in message
newsD9Ne.4310$_D4.3425@trndny05...
Any thoughts on childproofing an iron spiral staircase while still making

it
look presentable? All we can come up with is a gate at the bottom and
wrapping carpet around it (ick). A gate system will not work the way the
staircase is placed within the room (or would cost a zillion dollars and
take up half the room)

We have a spiral staircase at the lake and while I'm the first person to try
to make something blend in with my decor I had no luck. What I finally did
is buy one of those Superyards, bolted the ends to the wall, reversed one
(attached with heavy duty zip strips) to make a gate at the opening that we
latch with a bungee cord. When she gets older we'll have to change that but
it works for now. It was definitly a challenge. And good luck trying to find
one second hand. No where to be found.

HTH,

JennP.

Old August 19th 05, 10:09 PM
JennP

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
I wouldn't worry too much on making it look presentable. It's only for a

year/year and a half, then you can un-baby-proof it.

That all being said, what about a 6 sided play yard around the base?

This is exactly what we did. In fact, it worked because you can take out
sections. We had one extra.

JennP.

Old August 19th 05, 10:10 PM
JennP

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
hadn't thought about the bumping head issue 'til Jamie mentioned it, one

way
would be to get the foam tubes that are used for insulating pipes, they

are
slit along the length and are reasonably bendy, I've seen some very neat
head protection jobs done with those.

We've never had a problem with bumping heads and ds is now 4.5. Just FYI.

JennP.

Old August 21st 05, 03:27 AM
JennP

"Nan" wrote in message

I bought ours on eBay. It cost $30 with shipping, so they can be had,
but they're definitely not plentiful.

Ah, ebay! I didn't even think about ebay. Would have saved me about what you
spent!

JennP.