Way far OT - 6 yo throwing up

Old May 4th 06, 07:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Way far OT - 6 yo throwing up

I figure the folks here probably have dealt with a wide variety of
health issues, as well as BF'ing, so it can't hurt to ask...

My 6 yo, who is currently taking both strattera and concerta for ADHD,
has had a recurring problem with throwing up in the AM. It's happened 2
times this week, and 2 times last week, but didn't happen for 2 months
before that. It doesn't seem to be a reaction to the pills hitting his
stomach, since he was fine over the weekend. He's seen the Doc a couple
times about it, she's checked him over, and her best guess is reflux.
He did better today with a dose of Pepto before breakfast and meds, but,
man, more medicine for his poor little body.

He's always been a skinny guy, though not short or sickly, by any means.
Does this set off any alarm bells for anyone? Can anyone think of any
other symptoms I should be on the lookout for? His allergies have
really ramped up - along with the rest of the family - cuz spring is
decisively here, could it just be a "stomach full of snot" thing?

I'm currently reading a book that discusses food sensitivities (not
full-blown allergies) as a possible factor in ADHD; is that something I
should consider, y'think?
--
Cheri Stryker
Old May 4th 06, 02:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

My nephew is now 9 yrs old, but has been on the same drugs you listed for
awhile now. He gets nauseated very easily and throws up pretty regularly.
He has had to have my sister come and get him from school a number of times
for general nausea. He is VERY slim, but also not sickly and he eats like a
HORSE! I have also noticed on this latest combo of drugs that his hands
seem to tremble sometimes. This bothers me alot, but apparently the drugs
all the other symptoms so they just deal with the side affects. I hope
there comes a day when he won't need the drugs anymore - he is such a sweet
kid most of the time.

I guess this doesn't answer your questions, but it just sounds similar to my
nephew.

Betsy

Old May 4th 06, 03:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

What book is that, Cheri? I'd be very interested as I have a son with
ADHD who definitely has sensitivities.

Leslie

Old May 4th 06, 06:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Cheri Stryker" wrote in message
I'm currently reading a book that discusses food sensitivities (not
full-blown allergies) as a possible factor in ADHD; is that something I
should consider, y'think?

My sister hated her meds because they sat wrong on her stomach, but she's
got the family cast iron gut-as long as it doesn't bite her going down,
she's fine.

Jess

Old May 4th 06, 08:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Cheri Stryker" wrote in message
My 6 yo, who is currently taking both strattera and concerta for ADHD,
has had a recurring problem with throwing up in the AM.

I take medication that messes my stomach up, so I take a Zantac with it and
it helps so much. Zantac is an over-the-counter medication so maybe talk
with your doctor to see if that would help him at all.

How is he taking the medication? If he is not eating before he takes it,
maybe he needs to eat with it.

His allergies have really ramped up - along with the rest of the family -

cuz spring is decisively here, could it just be a "stomach full of snot"
thing?

Yeah, my allergies are making me crazy. It definitely messes my stomach up
with all the drainage and snot going down.

I'm currently reading a book that discusses food sensitivities (not
full-blown allergies) as a possible factor in ADHD; is that something I
should consider, y'think?

Sure. Sensitivities to food can definitely aggravate some people. It doesn't
take the ADHD away, but it may help him if something is not being tolerated
good.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old May 4th 06, 08:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

It's good to hear that it has happened to someone else, at the very least.
--
Cheri Stryker
mom to DS1 - almost 7!, and DS2 - 2.5 months

Old May 4th 06, 08:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Leslie wrote:

What book is that, Cheri? I'd be very interested as I have a son with
ADHD who definitely has sensitivities.

Leslie

It's "ADHD Alternatives - A Natural Approach to Treating ADHD". It says
"A Storey Medicinal Herb Guide" at the top.

I got it at Christmas from a well-intentioned family member. Not sure
if I think it's crap or not, yet, but I sure would love to get Bubba off
of the meds....
Old May 4th 06, 08:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Jess wrote:

My sister hated her meds because they sat wrong on her stomach, but she's
got the family cast iron gut-as long as it doesn't bite her going down,
she's fine.

Y'know, I sure would have liked it if his doctor has warned us that
this might be a side effect, which from responses seems it might be.

(Yes, I read the drug info, but "may cause nausea" somehow doesn't seem
to translate in my head to "child may miss a large amount of school due
to throwing up in class, with the added bonus of a social stigma...."
[sigh])
--
Cheri Stryker
Old May 4th 06, 08:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sue wrote:

"Cheri Stryker" wrote in message

My 6 yo, who is currently taking both strattera and concerta for ADHD,
has had a recurring problem with throwing up in the AM.

I take medication that messes my stomach up, so I take a Zantac with it and
it helps so much. Zantac is an over-the-counter medication so maybe talk
with your doctor to see if that would help him at all.

How is he taking the medication? If he is not eating before he takes it,
maybe he needs to eat with it.

Zantac is just what the Dr. recommended when we saw her on Monday.
[sigh] I just hate giving a six year old a big fistful of pills every
morning.
--
Cheri Stryker
Old May 4th 06, 09:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Cheri Stryker" wrote in message
Y'know, I sure would have liked it if his doctor has warned us that this
might be a side effect, which from responses seems it might be.

(Yes, I read the drug info, but "may cause nausea" somehow doesn't seem to
translate in my head to "child may miss a large amount of school due to
throwing up in class, with the added bonus of a social stigma...." [sigh])

My ADD is nowhere near severe enough to warrant meds, so I'm dredging up my
sister's responses.

There was something about the meds themselves that screwed with her stomach
pretty bad-she did better taking them at night after dinner. She also
mentioned something about her brain feeling different when she was on the
meds, but I can't remember if it was actually being able to focus or what. I
know she was on Adderall for a while, and I think she might've tried
something else that did the same thing.

There is a new med out that doesn't have nausea as a side affect, but I
can't remember what ATM. Gimme a few.

Jess

throwing up at nights, any suggestions? [email protected] General 8 October 6th 05 07:23 AM
throwing blocks Sara General 67 January 8th 04 01:03 AM
15 month old throwing food jojo General 13 December 14th 03 10:25 AM
15 month old throwing food Kane Solutions 0 December 9th 03 05:27 AM
Advice needed: throwing up at 39+ weeks (graphic!) Elly Pregnancy 5 October 3rd 03 03:06 AM