Ready to eat?

Old June 9th 06, 09:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Ready to eat?

Lara wrote:

I've seen very, very little long-term research yet comparing 4 months'
and 6 months' exclusive breastfeeding (truly exclusive breastfeeding,
not retrospective slipshod data collection - "Oh, by the way, did you
breastfeed much? Not counting while you were still in hospital, of
course."), so I'll come right out and say that the relative lack of
evidence in this area is not something I place much store in.

Yes, but that works both ways. What I dislike is the way that dogmas
are based on so little - or no - evidence. The WHO came out with the
Thou Shalt Not Feed Anything Other Than Breastmilk Until Six Months rule
before there was _any_ actual hard evidence that delaying until six
months had any benefits over and above four months. And, yes, it now
turns out there are some small demonstrable benefits from delaying the
extra two months - but what if that hadn't be the case? Absence of
evidence isn't evidence of absence, but it also isn't carte blanche to
fill the gap by pretending opinions equate to evidence.

Sorry. One of my particular bugbears.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell
Old June 9th 06, 10:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I haven't seen studies comparing 4 vs. 6 months for eclusive
breastfeeding, but I *have* seen evidence that delaying particular
solids (ie milk protein) until 10 months is statistically beneficial
with respect to long-term health (rhinitis, etc.)

As a matter of curiousity, I've heard that food-related infant colic
tends to go away between 4 and 6 months. Have there been any studies
confirming this? Anyone know?

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old June 10th 06, 05:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

stasya wrote:
I know there are people and institutions say that you should breastfeed
exclusively until 6 months, but what do you do when an exactly 5 month
old baby grabs your hand, and stuffs your toast (with cheez whiz) into
her mouth? Do you feed when they seem ready to eat? You would think so.
Around here though, it's small town ignorance, I've heard about and
seen people feeding pablum in bottles, pablum to 2 and 3 month olds,
chocolate milk (in a bottle!!!) to 3 year olds, so no one to ask
here...people who swear up and down that rice cereal makes their baby
happy, the doctor TOLD them to feed a 2 week old cereal because the
baby needed the food....
I think I'll be the first to feed because she WANTS to eat solid
food...

Stasya

I started my baby at five months, but we do not have any family history
of any food allergies so it has never been a big worry over here for
any of my kids. We started with the whole grain organic cereal, then
went to orange veggies and green veggies, and then fruits. I then moved
into making my own babyfood versus buying it, and he is not seven
months old and can eat with us at the table some very soft fingerfood,
but he does like to eat the Gerber fruits puffs and veggie puffs to
tide him over when I am not moving quickly enough. lol. He just LOVES
his mini "meals." I had to start one of my other kids early on cereal
due to reflux at the recommendation of the doc, and she is fine still
too. lol.