Another cold

Old April 9th 06, 10:49 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Another cold

Hi all

It seems to me that colds are the new PMT. I have yet another cold....
having only just got rid of the last of my flu. The doc says this is because
my immunity is lowered during pregnancy, but there has to be a way to stop
them... Vit C hasnt helped.

Any ideas?

Lucy

Old April 9th 06, 12:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

It seems to me that colds are the new PMT. I have yet another cold....
having only just got rid of the last of my flu. The doc says this is
because
my immunity is lowered during pregnancy, but there has to be a way to stop
them... Vit C hasnt helped.

it may not be a cold, but rather a tendency to get congested perhaps, I
don't recall precisely how it works, but I seem to recall that one of the
symptoms of pregnancy is congestion, so that then make you more suseptible
to a cold, or feel worse, rather than reduced immune system.

I don't think there is much you can do unfortunately, other than try and
heat healthy, plenty of fresh fruit and veg, rather than relying on vitamins
from tablets. Another trick is sinus massage, imagine drawing a line of dots
around your eye sockets, gently press with a finger and then wiggle it
slightly, use both hands and move round the socket moving about half an inch
each time.

Plenty of water is another sensible thing, I don't think it is possible to
drink too much, after much trouble with irritable uterus, I eventually
figured that my need for water is much greater than average, I had to drink
about a pint an hour to meet my needs, when you drink that much, you wash
more out of your body then you should, so some kind of sports drink, or
squash, once a day replaces electrolyte and a small banana replaces
potassium.

Cheers

Anne

Old April 9th 06, 05:42 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Lucy,

I completely sympathize!! I had a sinus infection for 5 solid months
during this pregnancy -- from about the first of October to about the
first of March. Anne is right, that a symptom of pregnancy is a
tendency to get congested, but it can easily develop (as it did in my
case and perhaps is in yours) into a full-fledged infection when all
that mucus and stuff doesn't come out.

I ended up being on seven courses of antibiotics before I was
infection-free and feeling "normal" (or as normal as one feels while
growing another human being). Two things I started doing toward the
end that I think helped it to go away were regularly using saline nose
spray and running a vaporizer/humidifier *right* by my side of the bed
every night, without fail.

Good luck -- I hope you can get rid of it soon!

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
EDD 6-2-06

Old April 10th 06, 01:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I totally sympathise! I'm going through exactly the same thing.

In my first pregnancy I couldn't have felt better. All the mums-to-be hated
me for my morning sickness free run and the fact that my hair went thick and
bushy rather than falling out. The only problem was some water retention,
which cleared up within about a week of Matthew being born.

This time around I'm feeling decidedly under the weather. I've now been
experiencing congestion for two weeks running and just when it eases, it
gets worse again.

Try to eat lots of fruit and veg and make sure you're well hydrated. Just
stay away from sports drinks. Most of them have a warning not to be taken by
pregnant women. Most likely it's because of the high salt content, which can
wreak havoc with water retention. Not sure what effect the other
electrolytes would have.

Cheers!

Old April 10th 06, 07:47 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

lucy-h wrote:

Hi all

It seems to me that colds are the new PMT. I have yet another cold....
having only just got rid of the last of my flu. The doc says this is because
my immunity is lowered during pregnancy, but there has to be a way to stop
them... Vit C hasnt helped.

Any ideas?

Lucy

Uhg, our entire family has had either a cold, or a mild flu for over a
month. I have this post-nasal thing going on right now, DH has a cough
and so does DS. :-/