pg question

Old May 25th 06, 01:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default pg question

Hi all

I haven't posted for a while, as I still have no one to feed as yet

My milk came in when I was 6 months pg... since then i have either hand
expressed or used a pump when I have had lots.

However, in the last 24 hours, my supply has gone nuts.I am up at 1.30 am as
I have so much milk, it just won't stop coming out, and I am uncomfy... I
haven't increased/decreased how much i expressed. Does this mean my baby
will arrive soon? Or have I just become a total dairy fairy? I am 37
weeks pregnant.

Thank you

Lucy
--

Due with a little girl 15.06.06
http://lucys-pregnancy.tripod.com/

Old May 25th 06, 03:15 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"lucy-h" wrote in message
Hi all

I haven't posted for a while, as I still have no one to feed as yet

My milk came in when I was 6 months pg... since then i have either hand
expressed or used a pump when I have had lots.

However, in the last 24 hours, my supply has gone nuts.I am up at 1.30 am
as
I have so much milk, it just won't stop coming out, and I am uncomfy... I
haven't increased/decreased how much i expressed. Does this mean my baby
will arrive soon? Or have I just become a total dairy fairy? I am 37
weeks pregnant.

Thank you

Lucy
--

Due with a little girl 15.06.06
http://lucys-pregnancy.tripod.com/

Well, I was a total dairy fairy! My milk came in weeks before my daughter
was born in December, and I chose to exclusively pump and bottle feed after
a terrible bout of mastitis (I know, I whimped out). But initially, I was
pumping in excess of 70 ounces per day. I fed all my DD could eat, and
froze the rest. I wound up with OVER 20 gallons of frozen breast milk in
deep freeze. I had over 400 6 ounce Lansinoh bags in my freezer, which left
no room for our food! But, I will make it past Emily's 8 month b-day even
if I never pump again. So, there is a benefit to the surplus, at least in
my boat.

Betsy

Old May 27th 06, 02:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hello,

I'm new at this, and being prego... I was interested in this topic
though, because at 17 weeks, I started leaking colostrum. It started
with having to force it out by hand, and now at 22 weeks, I get spots
in my bras durring the day, and tank-tops at night. I have a very close
relationship with my mom, and mom-in-law and neither one of them recall
milking before 30 weeks. Like Lucy, it's an uncomfortable feeling for
me as well.

I guess i'll get to my real concern. (like i stated before, this is my
first pg experience) Will forcing it out before he's born, cause less
colostrum to be there when he is? I'm planning on breast feeding if the
conditions allow, and I've been 'iffy' on weather I should 'pump' for
my own comfort, or tough it till he's here. I'm very shy, and I haven't
dared bring this up to my Dr. so I thought that over the internet, I
don't have to fear 'looks' from people. LOL

Any advice from any willing person would be appreciated! CONGRATS to
everybody and their new babies, and babies-to-be!

Ash
Due Date : Sept 25th 2006

Old May 27th 06, 04:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I have to say, I'm really surprised to hear people discussing pumping
or expressing during pregnancy at all! Is this very common, then? As I
understand it, milk supply tends to be produced according to demand, so
pumping or expressing would work to build up your pre-birth supply of
milk. While that means you're likely to have plenty for the baby when
the times comes, it also means you're going to have some unpleasant
fullness unless you keep pumping or expressing regularly. Seems rather
a lot of work to me, and self-defeating if feeling full of milk is
uncomfortable to begin with, since it ensures the feeling will keep up
instead of regulating itself.

That said, I was an odd duck who never felt full and didn't get
engorged even immediately after the baby was born... and never felt a
let-down, either, until I'd been at it for ages. For all I know, most
women need to empty out in pregnancy and this is just the first I've
heard about it. =|

I did get drippy from around 20 weeks with my first pregnancy, but I
found wearing a bra with firm support prevented most of it; at least I
wasn't leaking through to my shirts, and I never minded a bit of
colostrum residue in my bra. If it does bother you, well, there are
always breast pads.

Old May 27th 06, 04:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

It doesn't bother me too too much, just really tender, and sore if i
squeez too much trying to get the milk to come out. It's just releaving
to me to know I'm not the only one going though this! This being my
first time, all the little things that have been changing has really
thrown me for a loop. I'm glad to have found a site to talk about such
things! I'd be happy to become a regular =) I guess a proper
introduction will come in handy.

My name is Ashley, I'm 20yrs old and have been married for almost a
year now. I work at the Salt Lake City Int'l Airport. My husband,
Dustin (21), is a manager at Firestone, for the time being. We are
international English teachers, and are planning on moving to Sierra
Leone (Africa) next year, and from there to Morocco.

If you have any other questions for me, I'd be happy to answer.

Ash

Old May 27th 06, 10:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Andrea Phillips" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi Andrea

Breast pads just aren't sufficient for me... I've tried not expressing etc,
but I just get engorged, and having had two lots of mastitis already during
this pg, I am reluctant now to let it go too long. At night, I seem to get
especially "full", and if I don't pump before I go to bed, I end up getting
up with leaking and achy boobs.

It did start off as just the odd bit when I reached 6 months, which I
ignored, but as the pregnancy has progressed, I began to get more and more,
which I had to express by hand to relieve the pressure I felt. Now, at
nearly 38 weeks, I am having to pump at least twice a day, and sometimes
during the night. Doing it less just causes a "mini-flood" and an aching
fullness which can be painful.

I guess my babbie won't go hungry at least And I have frozen a bottle's
worth for after the birth, ""just in case".

Lucy

Old May 27th 06, 10:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Ash" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hi Ash

I was a little freaked tbh when my milk arrived at 6 months - no one ever
mentioned that to me!! My mum said she'd never had any pre-birth milk, and
had little after I was born, so she was very surprised too. However, two of
my sisters-in-law had theirs during pregnancy, so that came as a relief to
me

Like you, I was embarrassed to mention it to my midwife or doctor, and the
two times I had mastitis earlier on during the pregnancy were before the
milk came in, so I didn't know to ask any questions. I hunted through
Google, and basically found out that whether or not you have milk before the
birth, and whether or not you express it, it won't affect your supply. As
Andrea pointed out though, the more you express, the more you will get
(unless you're unlucky like me, and it just decides to pour out! ), so
try to just remove the excess to relieve the discomfort. Nearer your due
date, you can freeze some too.

Congrats to you too

Lucy

Old May 27th 06, 10:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message

"lucy-h" wrote in message
[...]

Heh, I think what's doing my head in, is that in the last week my supply has
gone nuts, and I am now past the point of trying to reduce it as it seems to
do no good - at night especially! Still, at least I should have plenty to go
round when she decides to arrive

Lucy

Old May 27th 06, 10:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I'm not sure there is necessarily any correlation, I got colostrum fairly
late in my 2nd pregnancy and even when I tried to encourage labour by

nipple
stimulation I didn't get much. But, then after she was born, even after

the
initial engorgement had passed, I had loads of milk, barely had to look at

pump to get a a let down and could pump 12oz in 5 mins. I was only pumping
because after problems first time round I wanted to have a stash just in
case, but I was shocked how much I produces.

Anne

Hiya Anne

I guess despite all the signs last week, I am not that much closer to
labour - it's just odd how much milk has arrived this week. I don't know why
so much appears at night - just one of those things I guess. Ah well, I'll
let my body get on with it

Lucy

Old May 28th 06, 01:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

lucy-h wrote:
[...]

Lucy,

I just thought I would spread this relief to you. I was told by a
friend of mine, who brought up the same problem to her Dr. He told her
that she just had over-active mammary glands, and that it would not
harm her, or the baby after birth to supress the milk. He said that the
glands reproduce milk, at the speed it's being used at. So, by milking
by hand, will make it so there will be an efficient amount for the baby
when it's born. She also told me, that the yellowish-clear colostrum,
will be triggered by hormones when contractions start. As soon as the
baby is born, the colostrum will end, and milk will start.

Oh my God.... I just realized, that I scheduled my 4th hair appointment
in 2 months. These prenatal vitamins are making my hair and nails grow
unbelievably fast! I think it's helped with my dry skin on my face as
well. Just some of the "up's" to being pregnant, when everything else
seems to be dragging me down.

Ash