this can't be true...

Old May 28th 06, 06:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default this can't be true...

"ipinchibite" wrote in message
ups.com...

I also have had
lactos-intolerance my whole life, until I became pregnant. I've been
loving it! I can actually hold down milk, ice-cream and yogurt with no
problem. I'm not trying to stay skinny, and I'm eating healthy... I
just can't seem to raise my weight. I weighed 103lbs before I became
pregnant, and now I weigh 110lbs after 22weeks. 7lbs doesn't seem like
enough to me, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

I'm also lactose intolerant and for me pregnancy made it worse. For me, the
first signs of being pregnant with #2 was getting nauseous after my morning
coffee! That was pretty much what started triggering morning sickness for
me - milk in coffee. With #1 I had to give up coffee altogether, I felt sick
after it even in the afternoon.

I'm probably as far along as you are and I've put on about 5kg (11 lb?). And
that's AFTER I lost 6kg at the beginning. So I'm back to pre-pregnancy
weight. 7lb weight gain sounds pretty good to me and not too low. Some women
don't put on much weight at all so I wouldn't worry too much. If your US
show a healthy baby who's growing at the right rate and you're feeling good
and healthy, I wouldn't try to purposely put on weight. Stick to a good diet
and both you and the baby will get what's best. I think most of the weight
gain comes right at the end, anyway, so your 7 lb gain will probably
increase in the end.

Old May 28th 06, 06:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Engram" wrote in message
u...
If your US show a healthy baby who's growing at the right rate and you're
feeling good and healthy, I wouldn't try to purposely put on weight. Stick
to a good diet and both you and the baby will get what's best. I think most
of the weight gain comes right at the end, anyway, so your 7 lb gain will
probably increase in the end.

She needs to follow her doctor's advice and put on the weight he thinks she
should gain. Suggesting otherwise is unwise at the very least.

Jess

Old May 28th 06, 07:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

ipinchibite wrote:
Engram wrote:
A friend's little girl ingested meconium(sp?) (ie. fecal matter) when she
was born and ended up in intensive care. My friend did get to see her,
though, and to take her home not too long afterwards. She ended up
breastfeeding her.

If your baby gets taken away like that, I say pump like crazy so you CAN
breastfeed. That's what I'm going to do. Last time it took 5 days for my
milk to come in, so I'm going to have a chat to one of the lactation
consultants on the childcare team and have a "battle plan" in case it
happens again.

Matt was born with the world's longest umbilical cord. That sucker just kept
coming out and coming out, the midwives are pulling and pulling, in the end
laughing and pulling. I was trying to concentrate on my new family but kind
of hard with all the giggling.

Thanks for the info. It was much needed. I still have a good 4 months
before Seth comes out... when should I start saving? So far I have just
kept a warm washcloth in one hand, and soak it up as it comes out. (I
find that warm feels alot better than dry, or cold) I havent been
lactating alot, its probably only 1/2 cup a day total. I'm kinda
concerned after all of your stories that I'm not lactating enough! Will
it increase before he's born? I so want to breastfeed. My mom told me
it is a wonderful feeling to get to breastfeed, and I will miss it when
I wein him. She breastfed all 3 of her babies. Me for 6 months, my
little brother 8 months, and my little sister for a year and a month.
It's something I'm really looking forward to, and if there is something
I should be doing to increse production, please let me know.

Sweet dreams to you all!
Ash

You can try the pregnancy group on google groups. Lots of nice people,
lots of info. Also the breastfeeding group. You don't need to save your
milk while pregnant I don't think. You will probably produce milk like
its going nuts after you give birth. What you're producing now is most
likely colostrum. Your production will adjust itself to how much your
baby needs, so, you don't need to be trying to increase your production
right now. When your baby is born, nurse it as often as he/she wants
to, and your body will produce the right amount of milk (although
probably too much right off the bat...)

Stasya

Old May 28th 06, 07:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

ipinchibite wrote:

Something I fear durring delivery is my baby injesting fecal matter.
One of my co-workers had that happen to her son, and she didn't get to
see him for 4 days, taking away her chance of breastfeeding him. Her
story is the first I have ever heard of like this. Has anybody else
heard, or have a story somewhat relating?

Ash

My milk didn't even come in for 4 days post-delivery. I had a
frustrated hungry baby during that time, but we held on, and she's
happy and healthy and 100 percent breastfed right now at 5 months. Even
if something happens, yes, you can pump, and when your baby is ready to
go home with you, you have either bottles of expressed milk, or you can
put her right to the breast.

Stasya

Old May 28th 06, 09:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Trying to purposely put on more weight when pregnancy weight gain is normal?
By eating high fat and high sugar foods maybe? If her weight gain is normal
(which it sounds like it is) she should probably keep going like she is and
eat what is healthy for her and the child, rather than switch to high
fat/high sugar to pack on kilos.

Yes, if the Dr is worried and if Ash was losing weight, then fair enough.
But it sounds like things are going great and there's no need for her to
have a pate liver just so she can put on weight.

The weight gain will come. Telling her to eat like she's in an eating
competition is what is unwise.

Ash - enjoy the milk, yoghurt and ice-cream while you can With my first
I maintained my weight until around 20 weeks, then came slow but steady
weight gain. I'm sure you'll see more kilos pile on as the baby gains more
weight and the pregnancy progresses

"Jess" wrote in message

u...

Old May 28th 06, 09:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"ipinchibite" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the info. It was much needed. I still have a good 4 months
before Seth comes out... when should I start saving? So far I have just
kept a warm washcloth in one hand, and soak it up as it comes out. (I
find that warm feels alot better than dry, or cold) I havent been
lactating alot, its probably only 1/2 cup a day total. I'm kinda
concerned after all of your stories that I'm not lactating enough! Will
it increase before he's born? I so want to breastfeed. My mom told me
it is a wonderful feeling to get to breastfeed, and I will miss it when
I wein him. She breastfed all 3 of her babies. Me for 6 months, my
little brother 8 months, and my little sister for a year and a month.
It's something I'm really looking forward to, and if there is something
I should be doing to increse production, please let me know.

I'm not lactating much, either, and I'm not expressing at the moment. For
me, the milk took so long to come in last time because I had to be induced
due to pre-eclampsia. Apparently late milk is common with inductions. That's
why I want to talk to the lactation consultant now and find out if I should
stimulate milk production by expressing before birth. Because I'm at higher
risk of pre-eclampsia due to history and thus I'd say that I'm also at risk
of my milk coming in late again if that happens. But even though it took a
long time, the milk did eventually flow. I was trying to stimulate the
nipple before putting Matt on and squirted him in the eye. Best feeling I
ever head - the joy of squirting my little guy in the eye

Old May 28th 06, 10:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"ipinchibite" wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, I have no idea if it's true or not... But, if it is true, then I
guess
that DD is going to be an absolute GENIUS, based on all the stress I had
while pg with her... EVERYTHING from normal every day stresses to extra,
unnecessary stresses caused by others...
Haha if only this were true facts that I've heard of lol

I know exactly what you mean! I'll be having a little Einstein baby if
this turns out to be true!! My hubby says I stress easly over little
things, and stress for a LONG period of time. LOL, we can only cross
our fingers!!

Hm... I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that this just might be true
Might be one good thing to look forward to, rather than early labor that my
doc said might happen if I didn't knock it off with the stressing over
EVERYTHING and putting (and keeping) myself in stressful situations

Old May 28th 06, 05:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Engram wrote:

I'm not lactating much, either, and I'm not expressing at the moment. For
me, the milk took so long to come in last time because I had to be induced
due to pre-eclampsia. Apparently late milk is common with inductions.

There's also quite a bit of speculation that it's later with
pre-eclamptics, since PE damages the vasculature. :-)

--
C, mama to three year old nursling

Old May 28th 06, 08:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Engram" wrote in message
Trying to purposely put on more weight when pregnancy weight gain is
normal?

What I got out of this statement

If your US show a healthy baby who's growing at the right rate and you're
feeling good and healthy, I wouldn't try to purposely put on weight.
Stick to a good diet and both you and the baby will get what's best. I
think most of the weight gain comes right at the end, anyway, so your 7
lb gain will probably increase in the end.

was that you were suggesting she not worry about gaining weight *at all* if
she was eating healthy. There is a big difference between "if you're staying
on the curve, don't gain extra" and "don't gain purposefully if you're
eating a healthy diet." Significantly different, and it was the latter I was
responding to.

Jess

Old May 29th 06, 09:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article .com,
"ipinchibite" wrote:

I'm not very
far along, only 22 weeks now (definite boy) and still only look as if I
ate way too much for dinner! I have only gained 10lbs and trust me...
my food consumption has nearly doubled! Is that unhealthy or am I on
schedule?

If you are not restricting your eating or eating complete rubbish, you are
fine -- but you may suddenly find you put on a lot quickly.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue