used car seat???

Old July 19th 06, 07:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Graciesmom

Default used car seat???

I was given a used car seat that is in great condition. It's 6 years
old. I called the manufacturer to check for any recalls. There were
none, although they told me they give their car seats 6 year life
spans. Does anyone have any insight to this?? I'm sure the manufacturer
would love for us to all buy buy buy!! But, I want to make the right
decision for the safety of my child.

Old July 19th 06, 08:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nan

On 19 Jul 2006 11:46:58 -0700, "Graciesmom"
wrote:

I was given a used car seat that is in great condition. It's 6 years
old. I called the manufacturer to check for any recalls. There were
none, although they told me they give their car seats 6 year life
spans. Does anyone have any insight to this?? I'm sure the manufacturer
would love for us to all buy buy buy!! But, I want to make the right
decision for the safety of my child.

The reason carseats are given an expiration date is because the
plastic degrades over time. Especially if it was subjected to any
extremes in temperature, hot or cold.
Your best bet is to get a new one, IMO.

Nan
Old July 19th 06, 10:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Stormlady

There should be a best before date on the bottom of the car seat, I wouldn't
use it after that date as they can become unsafe due to the plastic breaking
down.

ps.com...

Old July 19th 06, 10:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Stormlady" wrote in message
There should be a best before date on the bottom of the car seat, I
wouldn't use it after that date as they can become unsafe due to the
plastic breaking down.

Older models do not always have an expiry date stamped right on them, and
for those cases, it's normally 6 or 7 years from the date it was
manufactured - with car seat in question, it was specified that it was 6
years.
I would get a new seat. I know what it's like to have something and need to
replace it - DD's car seat was 6 months old when I had to toss it after an
accident. DS's booster seat was a year old when I had to toss that and get
a new one as well.
Better safe than sorry, and with an older seat that is older than
recommended, the plastic can and does break down, and I've also heard talk
about the material straps can be weakened over time.

Old July 19th 06, 10:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

"Graciesmom" wrote in message
ps.com...
I was given a used car seat that is in great condition. It's 6 years
old. I called the manufacturer to check for any recalls. There were
none, although they told me they give their car seats 6 year life
spans. Does anyone have any insight to this?? I'm sure the manufacturer
would love for us to all buy buy buy!! But, I want to make the right
decision for the safety of my child.

in which case don't use it, the word on the street is basically that however
well cared for a car seat has been the plastic does deteriorate,
particularly with exposure to the sun, the guideline lenght of usage is 5
years

Anne

Old July 20th 06, 05:04 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
FlowerGirl

wrote:

I was given a used car seat that is in great condition. It's 6 years
old. I called the manufacturer to check for any recalls. There were
none, although they told me they give their car seats 6 year life
spans. Does anyone have any insight to this?? I'm sure the manufacturer
would love for us to all buy buy buy!! But, I want to make the right
decision for the safety of my child.

The reason carseats are given an expiration date is because the
plastic degrades over time. Especially if it was subjected to any
extremes in temperature, hot or cold.
Your best bet is to get a new one, IMO.

That's right ... hardhats also have use-bys on them because the plastic
becomes brittle over time.
I'd definitely get a new one.

On a related note - a colleague was reminded about plastic deteriorating
over time last week. This guy is obese and chose to bring an outdoor
plastic chair inside onto a smooth vinyl floor at a workshop we were at ....
sure enough he and the chair ended up in a heap and he was lucky he was not
cut on the sharp plastic.

Amanda

Old July 20th 06, 08:32 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Graciesmom

Thank you to all! This is what I needed to know. My daughter's father
disputed with me -- I am concerned only for her safety. So, now it's
time to budget for a new car seat! Thank you for all of your advice.

wrote:

[...]

Tips on handling situations? xkatx General 241 May 11th 06 02:28 PM
Adios car seat Brian General 53 March 29th 06 01:54 PM
Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again Jon Walters General 1142 August 25th 05 03:27 PM
infant car seat in toyota tacoma - problems with passenger seat Mick Backsen Pregnancy 1 March 30th 04 04:28 PM
Why are new cars missing car seat LATCH for rear middle seat???? Paula Pregnancy 44 November 12th 03 09:13 AM