A tragedy in our imperfect nation ... Abraham Cherrix Tragedy

Old August 15th 06, 04:30 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines,misc.kids.health,alt.support.child-protective-services
Ilena Rose

Default A tragedy in our imperfect nation ... Abraham Cherrix Tragedy

Opinion
A tragedy in our imperfect nation
By Michael Simonson

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/vne.../44dc4ab133004

August 12, 2006

A tragedy is occurring right this instant in the United States, right
in Virginia, and it can be stopped. It involves a young man, by the
name of Abraham Cherrix, 16, of Chincoteague, Va., who is being taken
advantage of by the government and medical system of this country.
Unfortunately, Abraham has a deadly form of cancer. The tragedy that
has ensued since his diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease goes like this: He
voluntarily underwent chemotherapy, a physically punishing procedure
that can treat, but not cure, the cancer. After being physically
crushed, but temporarily relieved of the cancer, Abraham decided he
would not undergo the therapy again, with his parents' wishes, even if
it meant dying.

The cancer did come back, and he stuck with his choice of not going
through with the chemo. Instead, with the help of his parents and
others, he discovered a legitimate, well-researched organic process of
treating Hodgkin's. But the government and medical establishment of
the United States adamantly opposed his choice. The impersonal powers
that be are saying that, at age 16, Abraham is unduly influenced by
his "unknowledgeable" parents, and that the treatment plan he wants to
be on is "deadly," compared with the chemotherapy.

While it is not wrong that our government wants to protect minors that
are harmfully influenced by their parents, this case does not fall
under such circumstances. In fact, this case involving this boy has
nothing to do with bad parenting. This case is about our government
wielding its power in a dangerous and immoral way. This case is about
a boy being physically dominated and beaten by what many consider, and
rightfully so, the greatest country in world history. But our homeland
is not acting in a great way. It is acting in a way that better
conjures images of a totalitarian society such as the ones that exist
in stories such as 1984 by George Orwell, or the recent movie V for
Vendetta .

The chemotherapy the government is forcing on Abraham does not cure
the cancer, and it treats it for only a short period of time, if at
all, in many instances. Most important, though, are the chemotherapy's
brutal side effects, which could take from Abraham the ability to
fully enjoy life ever again. In addition to these resounding facts of
the procedure's ineffectiveness (it already failed once for Abraham),
there is the reaction of Abraham himself. Another round, at higher
doses, "would kill me, literally. No joke about it," Abraham said to
USA Today . "The first round of chemo almost killed me in itself.
There were some nights I didn't know if I would make it." The current
treatment he and his family have come up with is logical and
well-researched, and above all, it gives him the physical, mental, and
emotional quality of life that chemotherapy has, and will, destroy.

Just recently Abraham and his family took the government to court,
hoping and praying they would be given a reprieve on Abraham's
persecution. The court upheld the government's decree, though. Abraham
and his family may not have anyone else, or any other place, to turn.
It could be days before he undergoes the chemo again.

But this tragedy can be stopped. Abe has not gone through the chemo,
yet. Not only can his life be saved, but a powerfully important
message can be sent. Here is our chance to be like the heroes we see
in the movies. Let's rescue Abe, and change the world. Contact anyone
with a voice, and tell them this story. Tell them you want the
government to free Abraham. Here's a website with further information,
http://www.abrahamsjourney.com/my_story.html.

Michael Simonson is a senior American studies major. He can be reached
at msimonso @ umd.edu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/Blog.htm#Abraham
Old August 15th 06, 04:52 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines,misc.kids.health,alt.support.child-protective-services
[email protected]

Ilena Rose wrote:
Opinion
[...]

That's it in a nutshell. It's totally insane to give chemo to someone
who truly believes it will kill him and has had the prior experience of
nearly dying from it already.

Revici v. Schneider: people have the right to decide for themselves if
they wish to go outside mainstream medicine.

The parents believe it's well researched. They are making a decision
based on their reasonable beliefs. Meanwhile, according to the article,
Abraham is apparently doing well on the Hoxey/organic program.

Any attempt to butt in ought to be derided and crushed.

Old August 15th 06, 07:37 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines,misc.kids.health,alt.support.child-protective-services
Peter Moran

"Ilena Rose" wrote in message
Opinion
[...]

..
The overall results of the treatment of Hodgkin's disease in Canada can be
seen here
http://members.bordernet.com.au/~pmoran/Hodgkin'ssurvival.htm Even in
the 1970s the *thirty year* survival was close to fifty per cent, and with
improvements in treatment since then the results will be much better. With
early disease the results are much better again --these figures include the
most advanced and high grade cases.

The results of the treatment of cancer via the Hoxsey treatment have been
looked at by the University of Texas and fail to show definite activity
against any kind of cancer. Their patients are poorly documented and
followed up and they seem to die at the same rate as they would without the
treatment.
http://members.bordernet.com.au/~pmo...ve_studies.htm.
This treatment has been about for over half a century. It is absurd to
think that it is an effective treatment of established cancer, yet has been
unable to produce any body of cured cancer patients in that time.

So let's not confuse let the medical questions with the undoubted legal and
ethical problems. Let's not obscure the fact that he has been lied to
when the Biomedical centre claims over 80% cure rates..

Peter Moran

www.cancerwatcher.com

Old August 15th 06, 07:45 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines,misc.kids.health,alt.support.child-protective-services
Jan Drew

"Peter Moran" wrote in message
u...

Opinion

.
[...]

Alternative Cancer Protocols updated

http://opposingdigits.com/vlog/?p=106

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...ey&btnG=Google...

http://members.aol.com/publicoccurre...xide/ward.html

www.cancerwatcher of ONLY alternative.

Old August 15th 06, 07:52 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines,misc.kids.health,alt.support.child-protective-services
JohnDoe

wrote:

Ilena Rose wrote:

Opinion
[...]

Abraham has reported his tumor has grown. Do you considered that 'doing
well'?

Any attempt to butt in ought to be derided and crushed.

Old August 15th 06, 07:52 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines,misc.kids.health,alt.support.child-protective-services
cathyb

Peter Moran wrote:
"Ilena Rose" wrote in message
Opinion
[...]

And let's not bother ascribing any importance to a piece of dishonest
puff that includes such ridiculous statements as "The chemotherapy the
government is forcing on Abraham does not cure the cancer, and it
treats it for only a short period of time, if at all", something that
only a cursory glance at Pubmed shows to be nonsense, and describes
Hoxsey treatment as a "well-researched organic process of treating
Hodgkin's." I suppose we should be grateful he didn't write "curing
Hodgkin's".

The ethical problems are something else again; my instinct is that the
boy should be saved from the ignorance of his duped parents, but it's a
tough one, given that he is 16, not 6. Not old enough to make this sort
of decision, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to physically force
therapy on him, either. The thought is repugnant, even though we do it
all the time with younger kids, at the dentist alone.

Cathy

Peter Moran

www.cancerwatcher.com

Old August 15th 06, 08:12 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines,misc.kids.health,alt.support.child-protective-services
Rich

"cathyb" wrote in message
ps.com...

Peter Moran wrote:
"Ilena Rose" wrote in message
Opinion
[...]

Yes, I do it every day with younger kids at work, though nearly always after
a "consent for treatment" has been signed by a parent. The exception is when
a treatment is deemed necessary to save life or limb, and then a court order
is necessary. In Abraham's case, the ethical issues are nowhere near clear.
It's obvious that the real reason he is refusing the chemotherapy is the
unpleasant side effects. The discomfort of treatment is the very thing we do
not allow to prevent treatment when it becomes necessary to give a child an
injection, force an oral medication, start an IV, suture a wound, or reduce
a fracture. It's also obvious that both Abraham and his parents have bought
into the lies that chemotherapy would kill him and the Hoxsey treatment
offers real hope for recovery. Whether Abraham should be protected by the
court from both his own and his parents' ignorance is a tough call. I'm glad
I'm not the judge for this case.
--

--Rich

Recommended websites:

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
http://www.acahf.org.au
http://www.quackwatch.org/
http://www.skeptic.com/
http://www.csicop.org/

Old August 15th 06, 08:28 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines,misc.kids.health,alt.support.child-protective-services
Jan Drew

Alternative Cancer Protocols updated

http://opposingdigits.com/vlog/?p=106

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...ey&btnG=Google...

http://members.aol.com/publicoccurre...xide/ward.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is noted--you did NOT reply to IIena.

"cathyb" wrote in message
ps.com...

Peter Moran wrote:
Opinion

Old August 15th 06, 08:32 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines,misc.kids.health,alt.support.child-protective-services
cathyb

Rich wrote:
"cathyb" wrote in message
ps.com...

Peter Moran wrote:
"Ilena Rose" wrote in message
Opinion
[...]

Me too, although the toughest case I've ever come across was in
Britain:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/937586.stm

This was a case of conjoined twins whose RC parents had refused to
allow the operation to separate them on religious grounds, because one
twin would certainly die (there was only one heart and pair of lungs, I
believe). Both twins would have died without the operation because the
heart would not be able to sustain both bodies.

The judge decided it was morally preferable to have one twin survive,
even if it meant killing the other, because the weaker twin was
essentially a parasite on her sister. He said that although the surgery
was obviously not in her best interests, that:

"Though Mary has a right to life, she has little right to be alive. She
is alive because, and only because, to put it bluntly but nonetheless
accurately she sucks the lifeblood of Jodie and her parasitic living
will soon be the cause of Jodie ceasing to live. Jodie is entitled to
protest that Mary is killing her."

The judgement was really interesting (it's on the site above), and the
judge had a bit of a whine about it being a tough decision, before he
pointed out that's what judges are for.

For what it's worth, I agreed with the decision. I would guess that the
parents were glad to have had it taken out their hands in retrospect;
the responsibility was no longer theirs, and they still have one of
their daughters. But I could easily be wrong.

Cathy

--

--Rich

Recommended websites:

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
http://www.acahf.org.au
http://www.quackwatch.org/
http://www.skeptic.com/
http://www.csicop.org/

Old August 15th 06, 09:13 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines,misc.kids.health,alt.support.child-protective-services
cathyb

Jan Drew wrote:
Alternative Cancer Protocols updated

http://opposingdigits.com/vlog/?p=106

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...ey&btnG=Google...

http://members.aol.com/publicoccurre...xide/ward.html

It is noted--you did NOT reply to IIena.

It is noted that you have absolutely nothing to say on this topic, Jan,
so you're reduced to posting nonsense again. What are you whiffling
about?

"cathyb" wrote in message
ps.com...

Peter Moran wrote: