"Poor wording" Straus' survey from FRL-New Hampshire

Old June 7th 04, 06:03 PM
Fern5827

Default "Poor wording" Straus' survey from FRL-New Hampshire

One of the icon *experts* in family violence research.

Check out the research design of his survey. Where do you find problems?

http://www.unh.edu/cpw/Physical_Puni...stionnaire.htm

DESCRIPTORS; CPS, DCYF, CHILD PROTECTIVE, DHS, DCF, FIFTH AMENDMENT,
PUNISHMENT, RESEARCH DESIGN, QUESTIONNAIRE DESIGN, RESEARCH PROTOCOL
Old June 7th 04, 10:35 PM
Carlson LaVonne

Fern,

The problems I find are in your understanding of research. There is
nothing wrong with the survey. Where do you have problems?

LaVonne

Old June 8th 04, 01:31 AM
Nathan A. Barclay

"Carlson LaVonne" wrote in message
Fern,

The problems I find are in your understanding of research. There is
nothing wrong with the survey. Where do you have problems?

Here's what I put in the "comments" box of the survey:

---

I have to wonder why the first question is worded the way it is. I see
three basic problems with it.

1) Something can be considered beneficial without being considered truly
necessary. For example, I regard a chainsaw as beneficial in cutting down a
tree, but the same job could be done (albeit not as quickly) using an axe or
an old-fashioned muscle-powered saw. Similarly, people can view spanking as
the best way to deal with certain types of behavior problems without viewing
spanking as truly necessary to deal with those types of problems. Thus, to
whatever extent respondents draw a distinction between useful and necessary,
the question as worded could easily result in answers that under-represent
the percentage who view spanking as useful.

2) The words "a child" could, at least potentially, be interpreted in
dramatically different ways. People might interpret the question in terms
of "every child," in which case the existence of a handful of children for
whom spanking is not necessary would make the answer that spanking is not
necessary even if they consider spanking necessary for most children. They
might interpret it in terms of "some such children exist," in which case the
existence of a handful of children for whom spanking is necessary would make
the answer yes even if they do not consider spanking necessary for most
children. They might picture what they think of as an "average" or
"typical" child, ignoring both extremes. Or they might focus on their own
children, or on themselves in children, in which case personalities of
particular children (among other family-specific factors) would affect their
left less potential for different interpretations, or perhaps even if the
question were asked in a way that tried to capture nuances such as whether a
person believes that spanking would be necessary or beneficial for all,
most, many, some, a few, or no children. (If I were doing it, I would
likely split the question into two all/most/. format questions, one using
"beneficial" and a second using "necessary.")

3) The words "good hard" in the first question seem a bit loaded and
prejudicial - or as if they are based on a particular stereotype that not
everyone who supports spanking agrees with. Consider the situation of an
adult who grew up getting "good hard spankings" consisting of ten or twenty
hard licks with some kind of implement, possibly leaving welts or bruises at
times, and who thinks spankings can sometimes be necessary or useful but
doesn't think spankings need to be nearly as hard as what he or she got. It
seems entirely plausible that there are people who consider "moderate"
spankings useful or perhaps even necessary in some situations but who view
what they think of as "good hard" ones as excessive. (My own view is that
how appropriate or inappropriate a "good hard" spanking is depends on the
seriousness of a child's misbehavior. Spanking a ten-year-old hard for
shoplifting is one thing, but spanking a five-year-old hard for "being
careless" and spilling a glass of milk is something else entirely.)

I would also note that this survey, like every other piece of research I
remember seeing on the subject of spanking (not that I've seen anywhere near
all of it), explores only the number of actual spankings given, not the
degree to which the threat or recognized possibility of spankings exists.
In my case, around the time I was 13, I was still very definitely regarded
as eligible for spankings. But because I generally tried to behave well
enough to stay out of trouble (partly because I didn't want to be punished
and partly for other reasons), and because my parents did not expect
perfection, actual spankings were extremely rare by the time I reached that
age. Thus, the influence of spanking's role in my family was completely out
of proportion to my best guess at how many spankings I actually got.
Surveys such as this one completely miss the possibility that the threat or
recognized possibility of spanking can play a major role in parents'
disciplinary strategies in families where actual spankings are rare.

Old June 8th 04, 11:12 PM
Fern5827

Nathan sees the problems inherent in the wording of the survey questionnaire.

The words "good hard" in the first question seem a bit loaded and
prejudicial - or as if they are based on a particular stereotype that not
everyone who supports spanking agrees with. Consider the situation o

Could Straus' FRL be a fetish cabal?

One wonders given the juvenile wording on the survey.

Nathan observed:

Subject: Fern has problems with Straus...was "Poor wording" Straus'
survey from FRL-New Hampshire

Old June 9th 04, 03:39 AM
Kane

On 08 Jun 2004 22:12:54 GMT, (Fern5827) wrote:

Nathan sees the problems inherent in the wording of the survey

questionnaire.

He does appear to be a bit intellectually "precious" in his arguments.
He, like so many here, revert to the simplistic interpretation common
to fundamentalists.

Those who have a set of beliefs that are unassailable on faith. Or
course they WILL mount what appears to be reasoned logical argument,
but the reality of their fundie mindset because apparent if one can
keep them posting long enough.

The words "good hard" in the first question seem a bit loaded and
prejudicial - or as if they are based on a particular stereotype

that not
everyone who supports spanking agrees with. Consider the situation

Could Straus' FRL be a fetish cabal?

"Fetish cabal?"

Is that a new Lettuce variety?

One wonders given the juvenile wording on the survey.

A survey questionaire isn't a graduate seminar. It has to be worded,
if one is addressing the population at large, as that one was, at
about 8th grade level of english comprehension.

Give the failure of the public school system, I'd say that should be
lowered, for understanding, to about a 6th grade level.

It's you that do not understand research, Foilage.

Kane

Nathan observed:

Subject: Fern has problems with Straus...was "Poor wording"

From: "Nathan A. Barclay"

Date: 6/7/2004 8:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time

[...]

that
[...]

research request: short survey on parental guilt Julie Bort General (moderated) 0 April 16th 04 01:50 AM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 09:05 PM
Psych aggression to kids almost 100% Am families Straus sez Fern5827 Spanking 10 November 29th 03 11:03 AM
Doctors and Caregivers needed for short online survey John Cisar Spanking 0 November 9th 03 03:51 AM
So much for the claims about Sweden Kane Spanking 10 November 5th 03 07:31 AM