20 weeks scan - part two - joy, joy joy!

Old February 22nd 05, 09:59 PM
Robert Powell

snip
My husband and I have debated about whether or not to do the 4d scan,
which costs about $200 if done electively here. With your description,
though, I can't wait! What a magical, wonderful, powerful experience!!

This was our second 4D. we had the first for the nuchal translucency test
which being 'of an age' we wanted for reassurance. All I can say is that
comparing normal ultrasound to 4D scans is like comparing shadow puppets to
a Steven Spielberg extravaganza. From the instant you see your baby is full
3D waving and bounding around the uterus, it stops being a feotus, or an
abstract potential baby and becomes a whole very real person.

Only you can decide if the $200 dollars is worth it for you, all I can say
is that the £160 we paid today was worth every penny and we've already
watched the DVD 3 times! *grin*

I am so happy for all three of you, and so relieved for you, and so
glad that you'll be able to enjoy your pregnancy for the next 19 weeks
or so, free from worry and doubt and guilt and fear.

Really, I couldn't be more thrilled if it were my own baby. I'll bet
you're walking on air. Congratulations!

Beyond air, Amy, we're walking on dreams. *smile*

thank you

Bob

Old February 22nd 05, 10:20 PM
Larry McMahan

Robert Powell writes:
: Larry

: Not once have we had invasive testing - nothing but 4 x U/S,

Hmmm, so you don't think all those ultra high frequency sound
waves aren't invasive. Now, before you (or someone else) jumps
all over me, I didn't say you shouldn't have done it in this
case. When the cause is warranted, then you should definately
do it. I just don't think they have any routine value, and
should only be done for cause, as in Bob's case.

Larry,

PS: Did you know that definately become defiantly if you
transpose the a and n, and omit the e? Proofreadign is
such an art. :-)
Old February 23rd 05, 12:31 AM
Anne Rogers

So happy for you, I can almost guarantee your baby won't show up on 4th
July, being born on the due date is really quite rare!

Anne

Old February 23rd 05, 12:38 AM
Melania

Robert Powell wrote:
Well we've just got back from our second 20 weeks scan and this

one..., well
what a difference a 4D scan makes. From the moment we walked in we

were put
at our ease, and as the scan progressed every single worry and fear

that we'd
had from the 1st scan last week just disappeared.

First pass showed a 'textbook' developed heart, switching modes on

the scan
even allowed us to see the blood flowing with each beat of the little

heart
that is being played over the speakers.

Second pass showed perfectly developing kidneys, again switching

between
modes showed the flow between the two to be exactly as you would

want.

Third pass was the spine - after the 1st scan we'd had last week we

were
worried - not a problem, a perfectly formed spine enclosed in the

little
body.

Fourth pass was the brain, and it was spot on the money, a quick

change of
scan mode and we could see the two lobes 'firing' together. The doc

looks up
gives us a grin and say's he's 99.9% sure that this baby does not

have Spina
Bifida.

Huge weight of worry lifts from our shoulders; gets its coat and

heads for
the door!!!

Fifth pass, was the measurements, all well within normal development,

although there is a slightly enlarged tummy, but that's genetics for

you!
Leg bones and extremities come next - thighs of a gazelle this child

has, I'm
telling you this is Olympic material right here. *grin*

I of course am now seeing the scans through tear filled eyes, and

when those
little toes appeared on the screen, I nearly lost it completely.

Clare is
grinning like a cat that's been given a dairy farm and as the doctor

turns
away, his hand moves and.., the gender is revealed.

We always said that we weren't going to ask but if it came up on the

scan so
be it, we wouldn't be upset, if nothing else it does make shopping

for
clothes colours easier. Now, I'm now doctor, but I unless I've been
grievously misinformed about early female anatomy, July 4th - the

projected
birth day - will be my son's independence day!

By now I'm concerned that the grins on our faces are going to spread

around
the back of heads and decapitate us.

The scan then goes to 3D.

Oh my god!

Chubby little cheeks, my nose, Clare's eyes and clasping his hands in

front
of him, this baby is so perfect that I'm completely dumbfounded. He

tries to
hide behind the placenta, but to no avail, the scan follows him until

he
gives a grumpy little sneer and rolls his butt at us. We're being

mooned by
our unborn child and we could not be happier!

Clare asks why at nearly 21 weeks she hasn't felt movement when the

little
beggar is so lively in the scans. It turns out that Clare's pregnancy

is
developing with the minimum of nerve endings in the uterus, but

she'll feel
movement by the end of next month just because of the size of

development.
He then went on to explain that not only is this nothing to worry

about, it's
actually a good thing because with less nerve endings comes less

labour pain
come the big day.

By now Clare wants to adopt the doctor and I'm feeling quite fond of

him
myself.

All through the procedure every little detail was explained to us,

every
feature every function every test, every measurement. The complete

opposite
of what we'd experienced at the NHS hospital. We've come way walking

on air
and with the doctor's advice ringing in our ears. "Relax, enjoy the
pregnancy and the growing life inside you, and prepare for the big

day in
the knowledge that everything is exactly as it should be."

That my friends, is something we whole heartedly intend to do.

Thank you all for the posts and emails that supported us through this

week,
particularly those who shared their experiences of Spina Bifida. This

group
is invaluable and just knowing this world wide pool of support and

care is
there is an amazing boon to this sometimes bewildered father to be.

My respect and thanks to you all

Bob

HURRAY!!

That is truly wonderful news - and a wonderful story, too! Deepest
congratulations to you, your wife, and your baby boy!

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old February 23rd 05, 01:30 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

So happy for you, I can almost guarantee your baby won't show up on 4th
July, being born on the due date is really quite rare!

Four percent, apparently ;-) Genevieve wasn't born on
her due date, but she did show up 7/4. What a sweet day it was--
a nice labor, over by early afternoon, and snuggled listening to
firewords at night ;-) I'm sure she'll always believe the fireworks
are just for her at some level. Goodness knows she's a drama queen...

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 23rd 05, 05:47 AM
Nikki

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:

So happy for you, I can almost guarantee your baby won't show up on
4th July, being born on the due date is really quite rare!

Four percent, apparently ;-) Genevieve wasn't born on
her due date, but she did show up 7/4. What a sweet day it was--
a nice labor, over by early afternoon, and snuggled listening to
firewords at night ;-) I'm sure she'll always believe the fireworks
are just for her at some level. Goodness knows she's a drama queen...

My due date was 7/4 but I showed up on 6/23.

Dh and I were married on 7/4 :-)

--
Nikki

Old February 23rd 05, 10:17 AM
Anne Rogers

Four percent, apparently ;-) Genevieve wasn't born on
her due date, but she did show up 7/4. What a sweet day it was--
a nice labor, over by early afternoon, and snuggled listening to
firewords at night ;-) I'm sure she'll always believe the fireworks
are just for her at some level. Goodness knows she's a drama queen...

I've seen many different figures, but 4% sounds in keeping with those. It's
wierd for me having the same due date for 2 pregnancies, wonder whether I
will hit the due date, or N's b'day, or maybe even my favourite, 25th June
(11 days over).

Anne

Old February 23rd 05, 11:27 AM
Anne Rogers

Hmmm, so you don't think all those ultra high frequency sound
waves aren't invasive. Now, before you (or someone else) jumps
all over me, I didn't say you shouldn't have done it in this
case. When the cause is warranted, then you should definately
do it. I just don't think they have any routine value, and
should only be done for cause, as in Bob's case.

so Larry, what's your opinion on ultrasound to check the growth of the baby,
I may have had IUGR last pregnancy, baby was 5lb 13oz and I now seem to be
measuring small, still not really showing at 24 weeks in pregnancy #2. I'm
trying to decide whether to accept an ultrasound or not if it is offered at
my next appointment. They may of course want to do one anyway to check my
kidney, so it may be an irrelevant question, I just want to be prepared.

Anne

Old February 23rd 05, 03:47 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

what's your opinion on ultrasound to check the growth of the baby,

I think that it's useless as a routine measure, but
reasonable to do if there's something that gives rise to
specific concern in this pregnancy. I wouldn't do anything
because of what *might* have happened in the last pregnancy.
Keep in mind that the absolute measurement in u/s can be
*way* off (the margin of error is at least 1.5 pounds in
either direction, which is a heck of a lot when you're
talking about a baby), and the accuracy gets worse the
nearer to term you get. To diagnose something like IUGR
you need multiple u/s to spot a trend. And checking the
size to see if the baby is too big is unwarranted.
So, personally, as long as everything seems to be
going swimmingly otherwise, I doubt that a routine u/s
to check size would be necessary.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 23rd 05, 04:25 PM
Anne Rogers

what's your opinion on ultrasound to check the growth of the baby,

I think that it's useless as a routine measure, but
reasonable to do if there's something that gives rise to
specific concern in this pregnancy. I wouldn't do anything
because of what *might* have happened in the last pregnancy.
Keep in mind that the absolute measurement in u/s can be
*way* off (the margin of error is at least 1.5 pounds in
either direction, which is a heck of a lot when you're
talking about a baby), and the accuracy gets worse the
nearer to term you get. To diagnose something like IUGR
you need multiple u/s to spot a trend. And checking the
size to see if the baby is too big is unwarranted.
So, personally, as long as everything seems to be
going swimmingly otherwise, I doubt that a routine u/s
to check size would be necessary.

well I am measuring small, hence my concern, I know about it being
inaccurate, I think I need to reread some of the pages I bookmarked on IUGR.
I think it's got to be pretty severe to need to do something about it before
37 weeks, which it obviously isn't in my case, so I can feel happy saying no
thanks.

Cheers

Anne