Weird talking?

Old April 18th 09, 12:59 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Default Weird talking?

Alright, so... DD1 has some major, known and noted speech delays. She's 3
and it's hard to miss her speech problems as 99% of people find her VERY
difficult to understand when she's talking.

Now, though, DD2 has come up with a weird one. DD2 does not have any speech
problems that I know of. I find DD1 and DD2 speak at about the same level,
and speak at what would be expected at DD2's age (she's 2)
Just today, though, DD2 was talking kind of weird... She was saying
something (can't remember what, off hand, but this happens, it seems,
regardless of what she's saying, and if she says something while I'm typing
and does the weird talking thing again, I'll take note of it)
So while she's talking, she kind of goes, "t-t-t-t-t" after saying some
words and it doesn't matter what she's saying, usually (context, I mean).
Right now she just said, "I don't know, I sit t-t-t-t Mommy" and again, "Up
p-p-p-p Mommy" or, "Gone rabbit t-t Mommy" "I find it t-t-t-t" "Feet t-t-t
on" "Take k-k-k-k. Welcome Mommy"
Kinda if that makes ANY sense at all... It's almost like a stutter, but I
JUST noticed it this morning and it kind of caught me off guard a little
because she has NEVER done this before.
One, two, three, four, six t-t-t, seven, eight t-t-t, nine, ten - she just
said to me (she ALWAYS misses 5 when counting) but kind of did the t-t-t
stutter thing after six (she says more like "sits" for 6) and again after
she said eight.
Should I be concerned?? It's almost like she doesn't know she's doing it or
something. I don't know if she hears it.
She just said, "More s-s-s-s-s-s bubbles Amie" and I'm not sure where that
came from with the s-s-s part...
But anyways... I am concerned and wondering because she's NEVER done this
before and I have definitely noticed it happen over and over and over today
only...

Old April 18th 09, 01:40 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Kat" wrote in message
One, two, three, four, six t-t-t, seven, eight t-t-t, nine, ten - she just
said to me (she ALWAYS misses 5 when counting) but kind of did the t-t-t
stutter thing after six (she says more like "sits" for 6) and again after
she said eight.
Should I be concerned?? It's almost like she doesn't know she's doing it
or something. I don't know if she hears it.
She just said, "More s-s-s-s-s-s bubbles Amie" and I'm not sure where that
came from with the s-s-s part...
But anyways... I am concerned and wondering because she's NEVER done this
before and I have definitely noticed it happen over and over and over
today only...

I dunno. I'd be concerned, too. Maybe record or videotape her doing it (in
case she does the kid thing where they miraculously improve at the doctor's
office) and then take her in.

Old April 18th 09, 01:41 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Kat wrote:
[...]

Sounds normal to me. She is probably just playing with the language. I
wouldn't be concerned, but I would ask her doc at the next visit if it
doesn't stop. If her sister is getting speech services (from the way it
sounds, she should be - ask your local school district which is required
under law to evaluate and provide services if eneded), you might want to
ask the speech therapist, too.

Jeff
Old April 18th 09, 02:28 AM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

"Kat" wrote in message
Alright, so... DD1 has some major, known and noted speech delays. She's 3
and it's hard to miss her speech problems as 99% of people find her VERY
difficult to understand when she's talking.

How familiar! It could be a habit, I remember when I was little I really
liked to make certain sounds and I did also inject them in my sentances.
It's kind of like how some people can't resist counting things during a lull
in thought. It could, of course, be something more, but I'd give it some
time and see if she stops before worrying about it more. The feelings I had
when doing the sounds was the same as when I'd rhyme a word with everything
I could think of, which my own kids did at around the same age.
Yes it makes sense to me lol.
Marie

Old April 18th 09, 03:19 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Kat wrote:

Should I be concerned?? It's almost like she doesn't know she's doing it or
something. I don't know if she hears it.
She just said, "More s-s-s-s-s-s bubbles Amie" and I'm not sure where that
came from with the s-s-s part...
But anyways... I am concerned and wondering because she's NEVER done this
before and I have definitely noticed it happen over and over and over today
only...

I wouldn't automatically be concerned. She might just
be playing around with the language, which is perfectly normal.
I'd just keep an eye on it and see what happens. If she's just
playing around, she'll move onto something else in not too long
(especially if you don't make the game more fun by making a
big deal of it).

Best wishes,
Ericka

2 1/2 year old not talking hsstanley General 12 June 14th 06 10:25 PM
Non-talking 2 yo update stasya General 32 March 23rd 06 07:07 AM
talking, or not?? Donna Metler General 7 August 15th 05 01:56 AM
16 mo : no talking yet? [email protected] General 19 June 15th 05 07:12 PM
need advice about talking. I'm new here. electroscopillan General (moderated) 8 April 5th 05 04:23 AM