Midwives & Home birth vs. an OB & hospital ?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 10th 03, 02:47 AM
LSU Grad of '89

Default Midwives & Home birth vs. an OB & hospital ?

OK, this really bothered me so I will share it in hopes that I am just too
used to the "modern" way. A woman at work is having hr first child, she's
~5months and has had no visits to an OB or Doctor. She is completely relying
on a midwife. She will have a natural birth at home with the midwife and
husband in attendance.

I just can't identify with it. I LIKE knowing I've done tests and
ultrasounds and stuff to make sure - with modern technology - that my baby
is progressing fine. I just don't believe that a midwife can catch
everything - right ?

Hope this isn't a flame starter, I just cannot identify with the natural at
home no doctors thing. Give me an epidural, no problem...Mother hood is
demanding enough without being a hero when you don't need to. Vicki is
right - no one hands you a medal after labor and says "you get a gold medal
for having the most pain !"

However, I completely understand that each person has a right to their own
method, and just because I cannot identify with this, it doesn't mean it's
wrong. I just have this nagging feeling that if it were me, I'd be concerned
that I wasn't doing the best I could do for my baby. I can't help worrying
for her but I don't know why...I guess I can't imagine going through an
entire pregnancy without ever seeing a doctor when one has insurance and
access (can mid wives write prescriptions for prenatal tablets ?) My friend
works where I do and has excellent insurance...

L.
DS, 5-25-01 & EDD 4-28-04