Cracked rib update

Old December 10th 04, 06:45 AM
Jenrose

Default Cracked rib update

Pretty well confirmed that my rib is cracked. The other bad news is that I'm
a freak of nature and need a variant of codeine that took 4 pharmacies to
actually find an in-date bottle. They say they send out a scrip for it about
once a year, if that, it's so uncommon.

The good newses (I get to use words like that, I'm on codeine)....

1. The nurse believed me that I cracked a rib, and they didn't make me come
in so they could pat my head and say, "There, there, sorry, we can't do
anything." They prescribed codeine, and actually *listened* when I said I
couldn't do Tylenol3--gave me not only plain codeine, but the salt I can
take vs. the salt I'm probably allergic to. Yay.

2. Someone who saw my warning to the Orycon list about possible exposure to
whooping cough took my warning to heart, went to the doc immediately for a
slight sniffle, got antibiotics and cultures, and just got back a POSITIVE
lab test...which means that even though I didn't get a positive lab test,
I've now been lab confirmed. He works in healthcare. My warning meant that
he stayed home for the requisite 5 days during treatment and not only isn't
he getting sick, but he's not passing it around. Small victory in this
brutally nasty illness. And positive for pertussis, not parapertussis. But I
knew that... parapertussis doesn't last this long, usually, nor result in
cracked ribs, usually.

3. Did I mention they *finally* put me on codeine, which is actually working
not only to limit the pain of the rib, but I don't feel like I have to cough
my lungs out. I can clear my throat without fear of a fit. Which means I'm
more willing to clear my throat. Ironic. I'm hoping that if I take it for a
couple of days, I'll be able to get the rib started healing (rather than
reinjuring it every time I cough) and kick the rest of the cough by letting
my lungs heal a bit, and then be *done* with this nastiness.

4. I am now confirmed in my belief that my doctor is OK but her nurse is an
idiot. Actually tried to tell me that I had to have codeine with tylenol
because the codeine isn't a pain reliever--that the tylenol is what treats
the inflamation and pain. Correct me if I"m wrong, but a) Codeine is a
narcotic and a powerful analgesic, b) tylenol is not an anti-inflamatory and
c)the nurse is a dingbat..... This is the same nurse who tried to tell me
that Dextromethorphan is Pregnancy Category A. Nitwit. Fortunately I do not
rely on her as more than a go-between with the doc.

5. My poor kid is finally feeling better--keeping her home one more day
(this "one day"=3 more days off, because of the weekend) to get "all
better"...but she says she wants to wait on me tomorrow. Did I mention how
much I dig this kid? And she's only got two more assignments to go to finish
the week's worth of homework and classwork. She spent 5 hours on it today,
voluntarily. Grandpa says he gave her some change at the grocery store and
on the way out she dumped half of it into the salvation army bellringer's
bucket. Aww. These are the things I hold in my heart when she gets grumpy or
I try to find something in her room. g

Jenrose --slightly loopy, but feeling better--today, I might actually
qualify as a ditz, but since I killfiled Todd again, I'll never know if he
notices. g

Old December 10th 04, 07:11 AM
Todd Gastaldo

"Jenrose" wrote in message
news:1102661147.f28b6ab369bfab9fb094ad6e83f27282@t eranews...
[...]

Jennifer,

I am glad you are feeling better. I am sorry for the ditz comment.

Todd

Old December 10th 04, 07:20 AM
Dagny

"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jenrose" wrote in message
news:1102661147.f28b6ab369bfab9fb094ad6e83f27282@t eranews...
Jenrose --slightly loopy, but feeling better--today, I might actually
qualify as a ditz, but since I killfiled Todd again, I'll never know if

he
notices. g

Jennifer,

I am glad you are feeling better. I am sorry for the ditz comment.

Todd

I'm glad you apologized, T. I like both of you, and was not sure why you
were suddently going off on Jen.

Sorry about your rough spot with the kiddo Todd.

-- Dagny

Old December 10th 04, 09:24 AM
Sarah M.

Jenn , I think you forgot to say what they prescribed you LoL :P Just
kidding ....

Glad you are feeling better

Samantha,
Oklahoma

Old December 11th 04, 10:56 PM
Daye

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:45:23 -0800, "Jenrose"
wrote:

Correct me if I"m wrong, but a) Codeine is a
narcotic and a powerful analgesic, b) tylenol is not an anti-inflamatory and
c)the nurse is a dingbat....

My mother is a nurse, and from my understanding of talking with her
and my own reading, you are correct on all accounts.

I hope you rib is better soon!

--
Daye
Mommy to:
Old December 11th 04, 11:41 PM
Chookie

In article 1102661147.f28b6ab369bfab9fb094ad6e83f27282@teran ews,
"Jenrose" wrote:

4. I am now confirmed in my belief that my doctor is OK but her nurse is an
idiot. Actually tried to tell me that I had to have codeine with tylenol
because the codeine isn't a pain reliever--that the tylenol is what treats
the inflamation and pain. Correct me if I"m wrong, but a) Codeine is a
narcotic and a powerful analgesic, b) tylenol is not an anti-inflamatory and
c)the nurse is a dingbat..... This is the same nurse who tried to tell me
that Dextromethorphan is Pregnancy Category A. Nitwit.

I think you need to drop a hint to your Dr that the nurse is telling you these
things. Somebody else might believe her!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old December 12th 04, 04:34 AM
Unadulterated Me

Jenrose wrote:

Pretty well confirmed that my rib is cracked.

Owies, that must hurt, I'm pretty sure I cracked a rib when pregnant
with Tyler with a similar coughing frenzy, hurt for months and I
couldn't breath deeply for weeks.

The other bad news is that I'm a freak of nature and need a variant

of codeine that took 4 pharmacies to actually find an in-date bottle.
They say they send out a scrip for it about once a year, if that, it's so
uncommon.

Didn't even know their was variants of codeine, I thought codeine was
codeine. I have a great pain relief blend (Pirophen) I use for my
afterpains that is a blend of Codeine, paracetamol and aspirin, it's
great stuff.

My warning meant that
he stayed home for the requisite 5 days during treatment and not only isn't
he getting sick, but he's not passing it around.

That's what bugged me the most when my kids had whooping cough, I met
about 3 families whose kids had the exact same cough as my children and
point blank refused to believe it could be whooping cough, one even
tried to tell me it was just croup. I kept my kids home while they all
sent theirs to school and spread it around (in fact one of them gave it
to my vaccinated oldest child who brought it home and gave it to my
unvaccinated children). I had two come back with a negative sputum test
because they were too far advanced by the time I thought it was what it
was and 2 who tested positive, I also had two that didn't get it at all.
The worst one to get it was Grace who was 11/12 months, and she was one
who tested negative.
Glad your starting to feel better.

Andrea
Old December 12th 04, 07:04 AM
Jenrose

"Unadulterated Me" wrote in message
Jenrose wrote:

Pretty well confirmed that my rib is cracked.

Owies, that must hurt, I'm pretty sure I cracked a rib when pregnant with
Tyler with a similar coughing frenzy, hurt for months and I couldn't
breath deeply for weeks.

Breathing isn't the problem so much as MOVING. And sleeping. And doing,
well, anything. And the longer I hold still, the more my pelvis hurts.
whine But codeine helps, and we just discovered we can cut the pills in
half, get "okay" relief *and* still have my brain function, I think.

The other bad news is that I'm a freak of nature and need a variant

of codeine that took 4 pharmacies to actually find an in-date bottle.
They say they send out a scrip for it about once a year, if that, it's
so
uncommon.

Didn't even know their was variants of codeine, I thought codeine was
codeine. I have a great pain relief blend (Pirophen) I use for my
afterpains that is a blend of Codeine, paracetamol and aspirin, it's great
stuff.

Codeine-tylenol (Tylenol 3) is what most people use. Freaky me can't take
it--it contains povidone. Plain codeine comes as codeine sulfate and codeine
phosphate. The pharmacist would NOT give me the sulfate because I am
allergic to sulfa drugs and sulfites. Codeine Phosphate is a teeny, tiny
little pellet that looks like a kid's colic tablet and packs a punch like a
mule. But it *just* fits the pill cutter, and so now I have fragments that I
can take during the day and still be more functional (can't drive, but can
still think) and whole tabs for night, when I need more pain relief.

[...]

Augh. Crazy. I can be pretty persuasive, but *still* got, "Are you sure it's
whooping cough?" and "Isn't that a 19th century disease?" and when I tell
them that out of the 8 people I know personally who had it, only one was lab
diagnosed and all were vaccinated, they shut up.

Jenrose

Old December 12th 04, 08:32 AM
Kelly

Sheesh, like someone would pull "I have whooping cough" out of the hat! : /

Kelly

Old December 12th 04, 09:59 PM
Jenrose

"Kelly" wrote in message
Sheesh, like someone would pull "I have whooping cough" out of the hat! :
/

Right... I'm coughing until I turn purple for the attention. Gotcha.

eyeroll

I'd much rather get attention for my pregnant belly, or for being smart, or
whatever... And I'd MUCH rather see *nothing* of the medical establishment
until it's time to go introduce the baby to the pediatrician.

Jenrose

16 week update Jamie Clark Pregnancy 4 December 9th 04 11:03 PM
Great 1st appointment, 18 wk. update and AFP update Beach mum Pregnancy 0 October 5th 04 10:15 PM
Update: Problems with 14yr old sister... Daniel Single Parents 13 March 28th 04 02:18 AM
Use critical update Alex Nemeth Single Parents 0 October 2nd 03 03:42 AM
UPDATE: Pulling at breast (Cracked nipple advice needed) Jodie Breastfeeding 3 July 12th 03 05:44 PM