death

Old October 30th 07, 03:07 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

Default death

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:18:41 -0400, Rosalie B. wrote:

If you were paying attention you would know that toypup is a
non-religious person and has no interest in practicing any religion -
she said she was an agnostic which is a person who doubts the
existence of a god.

I just wonder if he exists. I believe most all religions have equal merit.
I do not believe any one religion is more right than another and I cringe
when people criticize other religions as not being the true Christian
religion or whatnot.

She said that she would talk about heaven and the afterlife if it
would make him feel better, but I don't think it would, ESPECIALLY if
she doesn't believe in it herself. She might have some shot at doing
it if she was passionately sure about angels and heaven, but if it is
just words, the kid isn't going to buy it.

It wouldn't be just words, like it's some silly story. I would present it
as what some people believe. I agree it wouldn't be as effective as if I
were passionate about it.
Old October 30th 07, 11:07 AM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"arabella via FamilyKB.com" u38656@uwe wrote in message
Banty wrote:
What do you tell a 6 yo who's worried people around him are going to
die?
My dad was telling DS how old he is today and how he is going to die.
He's

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
about the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and how the soul lives on
forever.

No, she most definitely does *not* "need" to inculcate her child with
these
beliefs because her 'family has catholic faith'.

He may be upset because he thinks there is nothing else after the body
dies.
I am not saying to go to church, but you should let your child have some
faith, and let them decide when they get older if they want to have their
faith fine, if not, fine.

He's more likely upset that people near and dear to him, and furthermore
on whom
he depends, might die and dissappear. It does not matter to where. He
can be
reassured on that by her making the points that it would be a very long
time,
and by pointing to all the people around who will still be there for the
child
whomoever might die.

Banty

Her family is Catholic, so it is not like introducing an off the wall
theory.

I can see that you are bossy, but on a public forum you do not have the
right
to tell people what they definitely need and need not do.
I said he may be upset, not that he is upset. I think children should have
some knowledge of god and faith.

Only if they exist. And to some of us, they don't. So it would make NO sense
for our children to have some knowledge of God and faith except in the
historical and cultural sense.

That is my opinion that I may, and will
express it as I please. If I ever have need for someone to tell and boss
me
about what to do, I will let you know

Banty's opinions are often stated in a commanding way. Such is the power of
her convictions. However, you will note that she did not tell youhow things
must be, but how they *could* be and what may be preferable.

Until then, retract your claws.

Old October 30th 07, 11:11 AM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

Default death ... little minor philisophical sidebar

"toypup" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:18:41 -0400, Rosalie B. wrote:

If you were paying attention you would know that toypup is a
non-religious person and has no interest in practicing any religion -
she said she was an agnostic which is a person who doubts the
existence of a god.

I just wonder if he exists.

Of course He or She exists. We have created them in our own image! God(s)
is/are created by humans to explain what we cannot understand, to give
reason to morality when we cannot adiquately articulate why our moral code
stands.

(Disclaimer: I have no more right to this belief than anyone else does to
their religious belief. I am not intending to chastise or criticise others'
beliefs which I don't share. Just to make a comment on mine.)

I believe most all religions have equal merit.
I do not believe any one religion is more right than another and I cringe
when people criticize other religions as not being the true Christian
religion or whatnot.

She said that she would talk about heaven and the afterlife if it
would make him feel better, but I don't think it would, ESPECIALLY if
she doesn't believe in it herself. She might have some shot at doing
it if she was passionately sure about angels and heaven, but if it is
just words, the kid isn't going to buy it.

It wouldn't be just words, like it's some silly story. I would present it
as what some people believe. I agree it wouldn't be as effective as if I
were passionate about it.

Unlike a story about Santa Clause, there can be some harm when the truth of
your feelings is revealed. I would stear clear, as much as possible, of
telling stories in which you don't beleive. I have don eit, and wish that I
had not.

Old October 30th 07, 12:29 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Oct 29, 9:40 pm, Banty wrote:
In article 7a6f6ee7fea3b@uwe, arabella via FamilyKB.com says...

Banty wrote:
[...]

Her father is a *non practicing* Catholic, and yes it's an off the wall theory.

I don't think one should call someone's religious beliefs "off the
wall" in misc.kids, a newsgroup not intended for religious debate. An
exception would be where the religious beliefs are directly harming
children, for example in a religion that spurns modern medicine.

Otherwise I agree with your reply.

Old October 30th 07, 01:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Oct 29, 11:07 pm, toypup wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:18:41 -0400, Rosalie B. wrote:
If you were paying attention you would know that toypup is a
non-religious person and has no interest in practicing any religion -
she said she was an agnostic which is a person who doubts the
existence of a god.

I just wonder if he exists. I believe most all religions have equal merit.
I do not believe any one religion is more right than another and I cringe
when people criticize other religions as not being the true Christian
religion or whatnot.

There is one major world religion that is associated with savagery in
my mind, based on the *actions* of many of the people who practice it.
I would be vehemently opposed to my children marrying into that
religion, maybe to the point of not attending the wedding and
disinheriting the child. I think I have a perfectly rational basis for
disapproving of that religion, and when my kids are older I will
explain the religious "facts of life" to them. Already my 4yo son,
after watching a replay of the World Trade Center bombing on CNN, has
asked me why the plane crashed into the building. I did tell him that
it was not an accident but was caused by "bad people", and some day he
should be taught about the beliefs of the bad people.

No, most adherents of religion X are not terrorists, but a
disproportionate number of terrorists do adhere to X.

I am guilty above of what I criticized Banty for, but I don't see how
the Roman Catholic religion today is harming people who don't believe
it.

Old October 30th 07, 01:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article om, Beliavsky
says...

[...]

Sh'yeah.

So, if it's Catholicism (which I 'critisize' only by way of my non-belief in
genral), it's OK, but if it's "X" (so obviously Islam in your mind, that for you
to put "X" is just silly) it's OK to ascribe the actions of a few who are
associated with a particularly extreme version, to that religion as a whole and
condemn that religion as a whole. If it's you doing the condemning.

My my.

This woulnd't be a reflection of rivalries and conflicts in your nation of
origin, would it?

Banty

Old October 30th 07, 02:12 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:11:34 -0400, Stephanie wrote:

Unlike a story about Santa Clause, there can be some harm when the truth of
your feelings is revealed. I would stear clear, as much as possible, of
telling stories in which you don't beleive. I have don eit, and wish that I
had not.

It would not be a story I don't believe. It would be "some people believe
x." I do not doubt that what others believe might be true.
Old October 30th 07, 03:25 PM posted to misc.kids
arabella via FamilyKB.com

Rosalie B. wrote:
What do you tell a 6 yo who's worried people around him are going to die?
My dad was telling DS how old he is today and how he is going to die. He's

[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]
Banty

Her family is Catholic, so it is not like introducing an off the wall theory.

She has NOT said that her family is Catholic and since she mentioned
that her dh is a non-practicing Catholic I think she would have said
if her family was also Catholic. I have a SIL who is a former
Catholic, and suspect he's a little bit like toypup's husband in this.
He does not practice any religion at all and is not interested in
doing so.

I can see that you are bossy, but on a public forum you do not have the right
to tell people what they definitely need and need not do.

If you were paying attention you would know that toypup is a
non-religious person and has no interest in practicing any religion -
she said she was an agnostic which is a person who doubts the
existence of a god.

She said that she would talk about heaven and the afterlife if it
would make him feel better, but I don't think it would, ESPECIALLY if
she doesn't believe in it herself. She might have some shot at doing
it if she was passionately sure about angels and heaven, but if it is
just words, the kid isn't going to buy it.

I said he may be upset, not that he is upset.

He WAS upset - that's what the question was in the original post. He's
worried that people are going to die. I don't think that telling a
child who is worried that his dad will die be comforted to be told
that his dad's soul will live on forever.

I think children should have
some knowledge of god and faith. That is my opinion that I may, and will
express it as I please. If I ever have need for someone to tell and boss me
about what to do, I will let you know

It is OK for you to express an opinion, but it is worse than bossy to
try to tell someone else what they should do WRT religious education
of their children, when you should know (if you could read for
content) that they do not subscribe to any religion.

Until then, retract your claws.

Lots of luck. You don't get to tell anyone else what to write either.

Banty was defending toypup's right NOT to teach her child religion.
And I will do the same, although I do believe in God and have taught
my children religion. I'm not of the opinion though that I am of such
authority as to say what other parents should teach their own
children.

She said she would not have a problem talking about angels, and the afterlife-
both of which are in the Catholic, and Christian teachings. She also said she
wouldn’t mind her kid having a faith. It's not like I'm telling her she has
no choice but to do this, you are taking it out of context.

Non-practicing Catholic is does not mean that he is not a Catholic. So he
doesn't practice Catholicism, but he is still a Catholic and has a faith, so
he would know about the religion.

She asked for an opinion, and I gave her mine. You can give her your opinion,
as you have.
It is up to her what she will do, and I never said it wasn’t. Chill out, and
take it easy before you give yourself a heart attack.

Both of you are ready to jump all up in mine as if you are trying to tell me
I have no right to give her any advice, but I have a right to suggest that
she should consider allowing her kid to have a faith, just as you have a
right to suggest she not allow him one.

You nor Banty are Kelis, so stop trying to be bossy. You are not the boss of
me, or this usenet group, so step off a bit, you're all up in there like you
own it.

Bad kitty, retract those claws!

Old October 30th 07, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article 7a7834b0cb821@uwe, arabella via FamilyKB.com says...

Rosalie B. wrote:
[...]

Whew-hee.

You had your say; others disagreed, and you're up in arms (claws?)

This is a discussion group, you need to be prepared for folks to disagree.

And maybe you should look up the psychological meaning of "projection".

Banty

Old October 30th 07, 04:03 PM posted to misc.kids
arabella via FamilyKB.com

Banty wrote:
What do you tell a 6 yo who's worried people around him are going to die?
My dad was telling DS how old he is today and how he is going to die. He's

[quoted text clipped - 74 lines]

Bad kitty, retract those claws!

Whew-hee.

You had your say; others disagreed, and you're up in arms (claws?)

This is a discussion group, you need to be prepared for folks to disagree.

And maybe you should look up the psychological meaning of "projection".

Banty

Maybe you should just adjust your words to not come off sounding like you
think you know it all. Not everyone agrees with you, or your *projection* of
your words.