Man wrongly convicted now owes $38,000 in back child support

Old February 12th 06, 03:43 AM posted to alt.child-support

Default Man wrongly convicted now owes $38,000 in back child support

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"teachrmama" wrote in message

snip

How is your daughter doing, btw?

4 months, and we're still taking it one day at a time. He damaged 3
permanent teeth, he and his mother haven't so much as looked me in the
eye, much less apologized for the damage he's caused, and the next
hearing is in a couple of weeks. I keep hoping that she'll come back to
some semblance of her old self, but I'm told it can take 9 months or
longer.

Once he's got the conviction in his record, I'm contacting the school
board to find out why this animal wasn't expelled.

I can't fathom why he wasn't expelled!! Is he a special ed student of
some sort?

Nope.

Sometimes an IEP can contain language about consequences for
behavior. So I take it that the case hasn't gone to court yet.

Nope - there have been 2 hearings so far - this next one is supposed to be
a dispositional hearing - so it should be over. He has a social worker
and a public defender - we get the bills.

YOU get the bills for the social worker and the public defender? How can
that possibly be? Is this a criminal case or a civil case?

His social worker recommended 9 months supervision, random drug and
alcohol checks, he has to get a job and he has to work out a restitution
plan (we're over the $5000 max for juvenile cases, after the insurance
covered what it's going to cover)

Do you have
any idea of the defense that they will be using?

He doesn't have any defense - about 75% of the whole incident was caught
on security video. He was heard, before the event, mouthing off in one of
his classes about how he wanted to start a fight. He has been heard,
after the event, continuing to mouth off about how he's going to get off
"so easy" - I've asked the student who heard all of this file a report
with the on-site police officer so that it's in the file that will go
before the judge in a couple of weeks..

He continues to ignore the no contact order with regards to my daughter -
she's filed reports with the aforementioned police officer as well, on the
recommendation of the DA's office, again so that it's all in the file.

Why on earth does he continue to contact your daughter? Is the school doing
nothing to make sure he can't get near her? It is their responsibility to
keep her safe. The fact that he is still at school is outrageous.

Reality is, however, that an order for restitution is simply that - a
piece of paper. Right now, it's costing me in the area of $300 a month on
all of the already incurred, as well as ongoing, medical bills, to not get
further in debt.

Since I have no faith that this kid or his family will make good on the
restitution, I've also filed a case with the state crime victim
compensation fund - on the theory that if they reimburse, then they can go
after this kid and his family.

All of which doesn't amount to a hill of beans - I just want my daughter
back.

I imagine she is still seeing a counselor, and will be for a while. Are you
seeing encouraging changes? I cannot imagine going through something so
horrific!

Old February 12th 06, 12:04 PM posted to alt.child-support

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

[...]

No no no - he has the social worker, and the public defender (for free), and I get the hospital bills, the doctor bills,
the dentist bills, the PTSD bills, the medication management bills, the prescription bills........

Well, you get the idea.

[...]

Because they go to the same school. I questioned the validity of the no contact order when the court commissioner
ordered it - and he was specifically told (I know, because I was there) that if he was walking down the hall and sees
her, he's supposed to turn and go the other way, quickly.

He apparently thinks this whole thing is no big deal.

Is the school doing
nothing to make sure he can't get near her?

They moved his locker from the freshman hallway to the sophomore hallway. They didn't, however, stop him from hanging
out in the freshman hallway with all his buddies.

It is their responsibility to
keep her safe. The fact that he is still at school is outrageous.

Well, yeah. But, like I said, I have one priority. He isn't it.

Reality is, however, that an order for restitution is simply that - a piece of paper. Right now, it's costing me in
the area of $300 a month on all of the already incurred, as well as ongoing, medical bills, to not get further in
debt.

Since I have no faith that this kid or his family will make good on the restitution, I've also filed a case with the
state crime victim compensation fund - on the theory that if they reimburse, then they can go after this kid and his
family.

All of which doesn't amount to a hill of beans - I just want my daughter back.

I imagine she is still seeing a counselor, and will be for a while. Are you
seeing encouraging changes? I cannot imagine going through something so
horrific!

Um, so far, no - not a whole lot of encouraging changes at all, once we got past the swelling going down and the bruises
fading. She has accommodations at school now, because of the short term memory issues, and was able to pull her grades
back up to nearly a 3.0 (missed it by 0.045) - that's about the most encouraging thing in the past 4 months.