Colic defined (also: Flutist Michelle: net kook extraordinaire : )

Old August 14th 04, 09:14 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Colic defined (also: Flutist Michelle: net kook extraordinaire : )

COLIC DEFINED See below...

FLUTIST MICHELLE: NET KOOK EXTRAORDINAIRE : )

See ACTUALLY MICHELLE, below...

Michelle J. Haines (flutist) wrote (on misc.kids.breastfeeding):

"It seems we've become infested with a Gastaldo-quality net-kook. I'm so
thrilled."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Tori M. replied:

"...i was "thrilled" to think we could have another Todd.. grrr...Lol I have
killfiled Todd a few times but I always remove him because people
veply to him and then I wonder what else he said.. lol..."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Larry McMahan replied:

"Michelle!! This comparison is grossly unfair to Todd! It is certain that
Todd
is quite Quixotic, but he has used valid science in his posts to
urge needed reforms in the birth process. his 30% closing of the
birth canal..."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...utput= gplain

Michelle replied:

"Yeah. But, in another group a couple years ago, I was chatting with
another newsgroup regular about her chosen career (she had recently
graduated medical school and was planning on specializing in high-
risk OBGYN). I mentioned her reading MKP to get some of the feeling
for issues women had, and jokingly mentioned dodging Gastaldo. Six
months or so later, he comes screaming into this newsgroup
(rec.music.tori-amos), starting throwing around his excessive rants,
and then started hassling Katy's teachers, insisting she was unfit tp
practice medicine, because she basically had a reaction of "Who is
THIS idiot?"...So, he still gets the net-kook crown.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

ACTUALLY MICHELLE....

You were NOT "jokingly mentioning dodging Gastaldo."

Kathryn J. Drennan MD was discussing "chiropracty"...

She wrote:

"Also, there's absolutely no evidence that I'm aware of that chiropracty is
any more effective than
good conventional medical therapy and physical therapy for back
injuries...."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

[Assuming Kathryn meant by "back injuries" "acute low back problems" -
common physical therapy modalities were found NOT to be effective in 1994
when a US Public Health Service-sponsored panel of mostly MDs found that
spinal manipulation like that used by most DCs is effective in acute low
back problems.]

You replied to her:

"...there's a guy who regularly posts to MKP that 'fetal skull squashing'
could be eliminated if
only chiropractors could act as baby catchers."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Kathryn J. Drennan, MD replied:

"fetal skull squashing" happens as the
baby passes through the pelvic outlet and (to a much lesser extent)
vagina. If the chirpractor can't change that, he can't prevent it,
although it may be amusing to watch him try.....Also, what's so bad
about fetal skull squashing...aside from epidural/subdural/brain bleeds
which although bad, are very rare,
and not necesarily due to skull squashing'."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

You replied:

"See, now you're simply assuming that Todd Gastaldo has the
ability to ... make sense...But generally, it's a rant about things like
forceps, birth in the
lithogamy position, and overlly medalicized birth. A few of his
objections might make sense here and there if he weren't constantly
spouting, 'MDs are lying and babies are dying!' and how chiropractors
should be certified doctors, yadda, yadda, shut up already."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Michelle, I've NEVER posted to MKP "that 'fetal skull squashing' could be
eliminated if only chiropractors could act as baby catchers."

Rather, I have indicated (repeatedly) that ANYONE - even and esp. pregnant
women - can eliminate fetal skull squashing caused by MDs senselessly
closing the birth canal - by simply not closing the birth canal.

And BTW, chiros ARE certified doctors.

One last matter Michelle...

You told the MD you still hadn't "finished rolling [your] eyes" at your
sister's statement that "her kids had colic because of birth trauma."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

COLIC DEFINED...

"Crying is called 'Infantile colic' when such cries are numerous,
paroxystic, difficult to comfort, and without an obvious cause."
--Stagnara et al. [Arch Pediatr. 1997 Oct;4(10):959-66. PubMed abstract]

"[i]n 2002, the cause of infant colic is still unknown."
--Marsha L. Cirgin Ellett, RN, DNS [Gastroenterol Nurs. 2003
Mar-Apr;26(2):60-5. PubMed abstract]

I suspect that MANY cases of "colic"/inconsolable crying may be due to MDs
causing terrible neck pain by closing birth canals and violently pushing on
tiny spines (with oxytocin and Cytotec) and gruesomely pulling (with hands
forceps and vaccums)...

I'm just guessing that birth trauma might cause colic - but regardless - why
are we letting MDs close birth canals?

Doesn't it seem just a little strange to you that Kathryn Drennan, MD
graduated medical school without learning that standard delivery positions
close the birth canal up to 30%?

She wrote:

"When I was a kid, they squashed my skull, and I liked it. I had to
walk home from the hospital uphill bothways through 10 feet of
snow...... "
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

MDs are closing birth canals up to 30% and pulling so hard they sometimes
rip spinal nerves out of tiny spinal cords.

Some babies die, some babies get paralyzed - most "only" get their spines
gruesomely wrenched.

ALL spinal manipulation is gruesome with the birth canal closed up to 30%.

Michelle, until you retract your lies, Todd Gastaldo, DC, holder of your
"net kook crown" shall regard you as a net kook extraordinaire. : )

Would you tell your sister that there may be something to her statement
about colic being caused by birth trauma?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS You wrote:

"A few of [Gastaldo's] objections might make sense here and there if he
weren't constantly
spouting, 'MDs are lying and babies are dying!'"

MDs *are* lying and babies *are* dying - and both of these facts are useful
in making sense of my objections that MDs should not be closing birth canals
and committing other obvious crimes...

In regard to this latter - other obvious MD crimes...

I have recently become interested in the grisly spectacle of MDs routinely
robbing babies of up to 50% of the blood they would otherwise have
tranfused to themselves immediately after birth.

WHY are we letting MDs immediately amputate those natural
oxygenation/transfusion devices called placentas?

See Connecticut EMTs to help OBs (and babies)?

COLIC (defined above) - who knows but that denying babies their blood might
also cause/contribute to colic/inconsolable crying after birth?

Old August 16th 04, 04:28 AM
Todd Gastaldo

I wrote (erroneously):

...Assuming [Kathryn Drennan, MD] meant by "back injuries" "acute low back

problems" -
common physical therapy modalities were found NOT to be effective in 1994
when a US Public Health Service-sponsored panel of mostly MDs found that
spinal manipulation like that used by most DCs is effective in acute low
back problems...

CORRECTION: The US Public Health Service-sponsored panel found no
*scientific evidence* of effectiveness of common physical therapy modalities
in relieving discomfort. Big difference between that and me saying
(erroneously) that physical therapy modalities were found NOT to be
effective.

Physical therapy modalities may well be effective and might be
*demonstrated* effective in future studies. BTW, many DCs use physical
therapy modalities as well as spinal manipulation.

In regard to possible changes in this 1994 panel's guideline, I just found
this at a National Library of Medicine/NIH website:

THIS DOCUMENT IS NO LONGER VIEWED AS GUIDANCE FOR CURRENT MEDICAL PRACTICE.

Abstract
Findings and recommendations on the assessment and treatment of adults with
acute low back problems-activity limitations due to symptoms in the low back
and/or back-related leg symptoms of less than 3 months' duration-are
presented in this clinical practice guideline. The following are the
principal conclusions of this guideline:

a.. The initial assessment of patients with acute low back problems
focuses on the detection of "red flags" (indicators of potentially serious
spinal pathology or other nonspinal pathology).
b.. In the absence of red flags, imaging studies and further testing of
patients are not usually helpful during the first 4 weeks of low back
symptoms.
c.. Relief of discomfort can be accomplished most safely with
nonprescription medication and/or spinal manipulation.
d.. While some activity modification may be necessary during the acute
phase, bed rest 4 days is not helpful and may further debilitate the
patient.
e.. Low-stress aerobic activities can be safely started in the first 2
weeks of symptoms to help avoid debilitation; exercises to condition trunk
muscles are commonly delayed at least 2 weeks.
f.. Patients recovering from acute low back problems are encouraged to
return to work or their normal daily activities as soon as possible.
g.. If low back symptoms persist, further evaluation may be indicated.
h.. Patients with sciatica may recover more slowly, but further evaluation
can also be safely delayed.
i.. Within the first 3 months of low back symptoms, only patients with
evidence of serious spinal pathology or severe, debilitating symptoms of
sciatica, and physiologic evidence of specific nerve root compromise
corroborated on imaging studies can be expected to benefit from surgery.
j.. With or without surgery, 80 percent of patients with sciatica recover
eventually.
k.. Nonphysical factors (such as psychological or socioeconomic problems)
may be addressed in the context of discussing reasonable expectations for
recovery.

This document is in the public domain and may be used and reprinted without
special permission. AHCPR will appreciate citation of the source, and the
suggested format is provided below:

Bigos S, Bowyer O, Braen G, et al. Acute Low Back Problems in Adults.
Clinical Practice Guideline No. 14. AHCPR Publication No. 95-0642.
Rockville, MD: Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, Public Health
Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. December 1994.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv....chapter.25870

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message
link.net...

COLIC DEFINED See below...

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain[i]

Old August 16th 04, 05:58 AM
Brandy Kurtz

Hmmm...very interesting. My first daughter was the fussiest baby EVER,
and the doctors used forceps AND a vacuum during labor.

Brandy

COLIC DEFINED See below...

Old August 16th 04, 06:38 AM
Michelle J. Haines

In article ,
says...
Hmmm...very interesting. My first daughter was the fussiest baby EVER,
and the doctors used forceps AND a vacuum during labor.

*shrug*

First daughter -- stuck in the birth canal jammed up against the
pubic bone for well over an hour, culminating vacuum extraction.
Middle-of-the-road baby.

First son -- traumatic birth, APGAR of 4, heart stoppage due to nupal
cord, emergency c-section. Very mellow, apart from a couple of
nights where he was inconsolable at three in the morning. It was
only a few, though, although since he contracted meningitis at ten
weeks old. He really liked to hang out on the floor and stare at
this weird ceiling angle we had. Calm about being a tad mauled (in a
good way) by his older sister.

Second son -- c-section after very long labor, but the labor was
never very extreme, he never got into the birth canal, and really
didn't have any physical trauma. All in all, the easiest birth I've
had, aside from a post-operative infection. Screamiest, clingiest
child I've had. Screamed into my face for two-four hours every night
for weeks. Refused to be held by anyone but me or my husband, and
frequently, by anyone but me. Massive diaper rashes if you waved a
disposable in his direction. Never took a suck out of a bottle for
any reason. He still has a short temper, easily gets frustrated, and
often has bouts of separation anxiety even at the age of four.

Second daughter -- mostly natural birth, but physically a bit rough
at the end, where she caught her shoulder on something, and popped a
blood vessel in my labia. Her entrance was fast, sudden, and rough.
Hands down, mellowest baby I've ever had. Her version of a temper
tantrum is to stamp her feet twice, smack something on the floor and
whine.

Overall, I'm inclined to think that how they were born has pretty
much jack-all to do with their personalities.

Michelle
Flutist

--
Drift on a river, That flows through my arms
Drift as I'm singing to you
Old August 16th 04, 05:27 PM
Todd Gastaldo

BABY'S HEART STOPPED...

See below...

First this...

FUSSIEST BABY **EVER**

Brandy Kurtz wrote:

"Hmmm...very interesting. My first daughter was the fussiest baby EVER,
and the doctors used forceps AND a vacuum during labor."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

I had written...

I suspect that MANY cases of "colic"/inconsolable crying may be due to MDs
causing terrible neck pain by closing birth canals and violently pushing on
tiny spines (with oxytocin and Cytotec) and gruesomely pulling (with hands
forceps and vaccums)...

I'm just guessing that birth trauma might cause colic - but regardless - why
are we letting MDs close birth canals?

See Colic defined (also: Flutist Michelle: net kook extraordinaire : )

Michelle J. Haines replied to Brandy:

"Overall, I'm inclined to think that how they were born has pretty much
jack-all to do with their personalities. "
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Michelle,

This is the first time I've seen the term "jack-all" - I assume you mean
that birth trauma means "jack" - "nothing" - in regard to "fussiness"...

If the OB is pulling the baby out of the birth canal with hands, forceps or
vacuum extractor - she had better not be closing the birth canal.

Yet OBs *often* vacuum extract with birth canals close up to 30% (with women
semisitting or dorsal)...

It's obvious criminal negligence regardless whether it effects the baby's
"personality."

You didn't mention birth position in any of your birth descriptions.

Your mention of "heart stoppage due to nupal [sic] cord" reminded me of
"heartrate drops" ostensibly caused by a nuchal cord...

Kate Elliott, MD wrote:

"I started pushing, and continued just doing my thing. They suggested
I try on my back with my legs pulled up (sorry, Gastaldo) so I did. I
then tried hands and knees, but didn't like it particularly any
better, and really was not in the mood to support my weight any more
than that. So I went back to that position [on my back with my legs pulled
up] , which the intern told me
was working quite well...The only wrinkle came toward the end, as she
continued to have the big
drops in heartrate with each contraction. They got worse and her
recovery from them slowed, and I was told at this point no more easing
her out slowly -- she needed to come now. So I had to start holding
my breath and pushing through incredible pain to get her out. The
last few pushes I was screaming like a banshee, and when the OB urged
me to push *hard* and get her out, I replied "I can't -- it hurts too
much -- use the vacuum!". But I could, and did. At 9:44am, Margaret
Hope K. entered the world weighing in at 8lbs 10oz. She had a tight
nuchal cord, which accounted for her heartrate drops, and [she] was a tad
stunned at first..."
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...g.goog le.com

Heartrate drops and "a tad stunned" might also be expected if the mom's
birth canal is closed up to 30%...

NOTE: OBs indicate that closing the birth canal FAR LESS than 30% can kill;
and Australian obstetrician Norman F. Beischer, MD has guessed that 10-15%
of stillbirths are just fine right before delivery.

Michelle, you must not have been laboring on your back or butt (with your
birth canal closed up to 30%) when the "nupal cord" caused your baby's heart
to stop - or you would have mentioned it.

For the benefit of any new readers...

My usual public service announcement...

PREGNANT WOMEN: OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30%.

For simple PROOF that OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to
30%...

For simple instructions on how women can allow their
birth canals to OPEN their birth canals the "extra" up to 30%...

See I ain't no Semmelweis, but...

IT'S OBVIOUS OB CRIME...

OBs are slicing vaginas en masse (euphemism "routine episiotomy") -
surgically/FRAUDULENTLY inferring everything possible is being done to OPEN
birth canals - even as they CLOSE birth canals - up to 30%.

OBs are slicing abdomens en masse ("c-section") - surgically/fraudulently
inferring everything possible has been DONE to open birth canals - even as
they CLOSE birth canals - up to 30%.

Now - to be sure - allowing the birth canal to open the "extra" up to 30% is
not going to prevent all caesareans and episiotomies - but it can't hurt.

Incidentally, when babies' shoulders get stuck, OBs KEEP the birth canal
closed - even as they say they are opening it maximally.

See ACOG birth crime video evidence
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2300

ONE LAST NOTE...

OBs don't charge for their mass vagina slicing - but it is known
to increase severe perineal tears by 50X - and perineal tearing is the most
common reason for hospitalization of women:

"The most common diagnosis for hospitalization among all women is trauma to
perineum due to childbirth."
http://www.ahcpr.gov/data/hcup/factbk3/factbk3.htm

NOTE: A top CNMwife actually promoted semisitting (closing the birth canal
up to 30%) after I mentioned the grisly biomechanics to her...

See Criminal medical CAM at Hawai'i's John A Burns School of Medicine
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2256

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

COLIC DEFINED...

"Crying is called 'Infantile colic' when such cries are numerous,
paroxystic, difficult to comfort, and without an obvious cause."
--Stagnara et al. [Arch Pediatr. 1997 Oct;4(10):959-66. PubMed abstract]

"[i]n 2002, the cause of infant colic is still unknown."
--Marsha L. Cirgin Ellett, RN, DNS [Gastroenterol Nurs. 2003
Mar-Apr;26(2):60-5. PubMed abstract]

snip

Old August 16th 04, 06:10 PM
Tori M.

"Brandy Kurtz" wrote in message
om...
Hmmm...very interesting. My first daughter was the fussiest baby EVER,
and the doctors used forceps AND a vacuum during labor.

Brandy

My daughter had colic longer then I knew a child should have colic and whe
was delivered without outside help. i thought that she would calm down at 4
months but she kept nighttime cry patterns up until 6 months if not 8
months.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02