Ir*n supplementation

Old July 26th 03, 03:39 AM
Spanannie

Default Ir*n supplementation

Did your ped. check his Fe level or did he arbitrarily come up with this?

My ped. wasn't ever concerned about Fe. Zach was tested and his Fe levels
were fine, although he had little food intake. I eat a lot of spinach, and
that's what I've attributed it to. The nurse at the ped's office said his
levels were high, which meant that I had a good diet.

Zach started on solids at 6 mos, but has gone from periods of good eating to
periods of refusing all solids and vice versa....and 7 mos later, still has
periods where he will only nurse. He's perfectly healthy and the pedi. has
never had any concerns.

I, personally, wouldn't worry about the Fe.

Annie

"Beth" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a question about ir*n, which I will refer to as "Fe," in order to
ward off a particularly tenacious troll.

My DS is almost 8 months old and exclusively breastfed. I've begun to
introduce food, but he hates the stuff, at least this week. His
pediatrician recommended Tri-Vi-Sol with Fe after 6 months, but I am

loathe
to give it to him. It tastes vile, for one thing. For another, IIRC,
supplementing Fe reduces the ability of the gut to absorb the Fe found in
human milk.

Not wanting my son to fall short of Fe and have developmental problems,

what
should I do? He just wants mother's milk, he's ~8 months old, and I would
hate to reduce his utilization of the Fe available in my milk by giving
supplements. Is this even a problem? Shouldn't my milk be good enough?

Opinions appreciated. BTW, I take a prenatal vitamin loaded with Fe.

Thanks.

Beth