any tips on washing DD's hair?

Old July 1st 03, 05:38 AM
Jean

Default any tips on washing DD's hair?

Hi, are there any tips to wash DD’s (about 3yo) hair without her
screaming throughout the whole process? In standing position, I have
her head facing downward and hands covering face. Are there any better
methods? Thanks in advance!

Jean

Old July 1st 03, 11:11 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Jean wrote:
Hi, are there any tips to wash DD’s (about 3yo) hair without her
screaming throughout the whole process? In standing position, I have
her head facing downward and hands covering face. Are there any better
methods? Thanks in advance!

We've had similar problems for years with washing my son's hair. The
best we came up with was to pour water over his head while he was in
the bath, after letting him check the temperature with his hand and by
having some poured on his back. Having him look up at the ceiling
while we rinsed avoided most of the problems with water or shampoo
running into his eyes. We use a "baby bath" detergent rather than a
normal shampoo to minimize the eye irritation if any does get in his
eyes.

Don't give up on washing the hair. We tried just rinsing for a few
weeks, and he got some scaly skin that required dandruff shampoo to
remove---worse than just washing on a regular basis with a milder
shampoo.

Sometimes you just have to put up with the screams, but try asking her
for suggestions on things you could do differently that would still
let you wash the hair.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

Old July 1st 03, 12:16 PM
Scott Lindstrom

Jean wrote:
Hi, are there any tips to wash DD’s (about 3yo) hair without her
screaming throughout the whole process? In standing position, I have
her head facing downward and hands covering face. Are there any better
methods? Thanks in advance!

This was also a problem with DS, until he learned to swim.
Now he just dunks his head under water in the bath to wet
and to rinse. Or, he grew out of the screaming and it
was unrelated to swimming.

I did find it helped to put a washcloth over their eyes
and have them lean back.

Scott DD 9.98 and DS 7.4

Old July 1st 03, 03:52 PM
Beeswing

Jean wrote:

Hi, are there any tips to wash DD_s (about 3yo) hair without her
screaming throughout the whole process? In standing position, I have
her head facing downward and hands covering face. Are there any better
methods? Thanks in advance!

My daughter, at that age, did better if she could hold a washcloth across her
eyes and face rather than just cover them with her hands. Good luck.

beeswing

Old July 1st 03, 08:59 PM
LFortier

Jean wrote:

Hi, are there any tips to wash DD’s (about 3yo) hair without her
screaming throughout the whole process? In standing position, I have
her head facing downward and hands covering face. Are there any better
methods? Thanks in advance!

Jean

My girls always took baths at that age, so they would be sitting,
looking up at the ceiling. We keep one of those huge fast food plastic
drink cups in the tub for rinsing.

They hated water and shampoo running in their faces; could that be
what's bothering your dd?

Lesley

Old July 1st 03, 09:00 PM
KD

I have my dd (3.5yo) lie on the kitchen counter on her back with her
head at the edge of the sink (you'll need a fairly good size counter
though). I can get her hair wet with my hands from the faucet (which
involves much less screaming than if I pour a cup of water on her
hair), soap her up without much protesting and can usually rinse her
hair with water from my hands too. It's quicker to use a cup of
water, but sometimes she won't go for that and screams. Usually
she'll tolerate me using my hands to rinse. This way she never
(almost never) gets water in her ears or eyes which she hates.

Old July 1st 03, 10:19 PM
Karen G

We use the foaming baby wash (baby magic comes with a pump on the top).
The foam already has some water mixed in, so it makes lathering the hair
much easier. Then we have them look up to rinse. Recently I started
having them lay down in the bathtub and bringing water up around the
front of their face with my hands. Either way, washing little kids hair
is a pain.

Karen

Old July 1st 03, 10:55 PM
me again

Both of my DS's hold a pair of swimming goggles over their eyes and also lie
back in the bath while I do it. DS#1 is beginning to prefer showers now
anyway so he does it himself in the shower sometimes.

Jane
m...

Old July 2nd 03, 02:00 AM
Ann Porter

"Jean" wrote in message
m...
Hi, are there any tips to wash DD’s (about 3yo) hair without her
screaming throughout the whole process? In standing position, I have
her head facing downward and hands covering face. Are there any better
methods? Thanks in advance!

I have my little boy look up at the ceiling and shield his eyes as if
blocking the sun; and I always have a towel handy. I dry his face after
about every third rinsing.

He is a little older (almost 4), and it's easier to get his cooperation now
than it was six months ago.

Best,
Ann

Old July 2nd 03, 11:03 AM
Peggy Rogers

"KD" wrote:

I have my dd (3.5yo) lie on the kitchen counter on her back with her
head at the edge of the sink (you'll need a fairly good size counter
though). I

This was the system I used when my children were small. One other thing I
did was to put a large pan upside-down in the sink (covered by a washcloth
to make it softer) so that there would be something to rest their head on.
My sink has a sprayer, which was okay to use if the pressure wasn't too
high. Also, a washcloth to hold over the eyes was a Good Thing.

Peggy

When did daycares become "schools"? P. Tierney General 267 November 13th 04 05:13 PM
kids and curls ted General 9 May 28th 04 01:26 AM
12 month old pinches and pulls hair! help! Hope General 6 December 17th 03 05:53 PM
New nanny needs tips Traci General 1 September 30th 03 07:01 AM
who colored their hair? Karen P General 13 August 8th 03 03:43 AM