how long does it take for your milk to dry up?

Old January 27th 06, 04:03 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default how long does it take for your milk to dry up?

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
it is still given in very rare cases, the long term risk of cancer is
sometimes a fair exchange for the short term reduction of distress.

There are better ways to dry up a supply rather taking medication for it.
I'm of the opinion that if medication can not be used, then try not to. I
understand that there are many good reasons to use medication though;
however, this issue wouldn't be one of those.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 27th 06, 04:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Sidheag McCormack" wrote in message
I haven't anything to add to what the others have said on the actual
question, but since you *haven't* in fact had a lot of people giving
reasons for not stopping... I wonder whether you would at least consider
taking two or three weeks to have a(nother) serious try at getting your
PPD
treated, before you give up? I'd hate you to give up pumping and then find
you feel no better, because the pumping wasn't actually the problem. (You
should not have to stop feeding to take PPD meds: if your doctor tells you
to do this, you need a new doctor, IMHO.)

Also, I saw that elsewhere you asked questions about burning calories by
exercising. If that's a concern, giving up pumping makes no sense - with a
new baby, there's no way you'll get enough exercising time to burn
remotely
as many calories as you're currently burning to make milk. I think it's
also possible that having this concern so early is itself because of the
PPD, so to me it's another red flag. (Of course, I accept that exercising
has many benefits besides burning calories - but then so does
breastfeeding, or pumping milk for your baby!)

Sidheag, I wanted to say something, but thought this time it was probably
better to bite my tongue, it's exactly the expectation of this post occuring
that I have in the past encouraged Betsy to feed straight from the breast,
but I understand that his is difficult for her. But what you say about PPD
is very true, I had friend who stopped breastfeeding at a similar time, she
was breastfeeding with a nipple shield and what she said was she felt she
couldn't feed when she was out, so she couldn't go out, so I guess there are
some similarities with being tied to a pump, she seemed to link this with
the fact she was feeling low and decided to stop, which she did, gradually,
but in the long term it really didn't make a difference, she still became
fairly badly depressed and also had the guilt that she hadn't continued to
breastfeed. I think it is very easy when you are feeling low to attach your
feelings to one issue, I know myself my mood is slipping at the moment and I
tend to say and feel if my pelvis was fine my mood would be fine, but I know
if I woke up tomorrow with a perfect pelvis life wouldn't suddenly be hunky
dory, because there are so many factors involved, though the pelvis could
well be the cause of this lower mood taking it away isn't the solution
because mood is a much longer term thing. Betsy, are you going to go back
and see about getting a different drug? I think even if you do decide you
are going to stop pumping, you really need to get looked after for this PPD.

Cheers

Anne

Old January 27th 06, 04:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
how many pump sessions are you doing? I seem to think you are only doing 4
or 5, in which case dropping one all together is probably not a good idea,
but you can shorten one, then drop it and repeat with each one until you
are not doing it at all, or there has been a significant drop and you are
prepared to go cold turkey.

Anne

Well, like I said, every 6-8 hrs, so sometimes only 3 times in 24 hrs...

Old January 27th 06, 05:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Sidheag McCormack" wrote in message

Also, I saw that elsewhere you asked questions about burning calories by
exercising. If that's a concern, giving up pumping makes no sense - with a
new baby, there's no way you'll get enough exercising time to burn
remotely
as many calories as you're currently burning to make milk.

I pump in excess of 1000 calories in breastmilk every day. I am always
hungry. Adding exercise and skiing into the mix, I am always struggling to
keep up with my nutritional and energy needs. My body is clinging to it's
fat stores like I'm going into starvation mode or something. I would rather
give up pumping and have more energy. I have even found that I am gaining
weight lately. ANd my eating habits are very good.

I think it's
also possible that having this concern so early is itself because of the
PPD, so to me it's another red flag. (Of course, I accept that exercising
has many benefits besides burning calories - but then so does
breastfeeding, or pumping milk for your baby!)

I have been struggling with PPD as you know, but am doing very well on my
current meds and also by being able to get outside and go skiing a couple
times a week. I don't blame BF/pumping on my depression, but it complicates
my current lifestyle. Pumping in the parking lot of the ski resort is less
than comfortable. I am also planning on going back to work soon, and
pumping at a new job just doesn't appeal to me at all. This is something
I'd much rather be doing in the privacy of my own home.

It also bears mention that I have enough frozen milk to last Emily well into
her 5th month. I feel that this is a great start, and I don't feel bad
about putting her on formula at that time. My OB is supportive of this as
well.

Old January 27th 06, 05:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

[...]

It is not difficult. I just hate the feeling of a baby sucking on my
breast. I also hate the feeling of a pump sucking on my breast, but
marginally less.

Betsy, are you going to go back
and see about getting a different drug?

I am now on Remeron, which I absolutely love. However, they advised against
BF'ing on this particular drug because of the lack of studies. I continue
to feed Emily my milk though, because I am taking half of the lowest dose
possible. I am taking half of a 15mg tablet in the evening and it is
working great now. I'd rather have her on my breast milk for as long as
possible.

Betsy

Old January 27th 06, 05:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Well, like I said, every 6-8 hrs, so sometimes only 3 times in 24 hrs...

sorry I missed that, so instead of cutting one out, I would only pump 14 oz
each time and then 12 and so on

Cheers

Anne

Old January 27th 06, 05:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne wrote:
Sidheag, I wanted to say something, but thought this time it was probably
better to bite my tongue, it's exactly the expectation of this post
occuring that I have in the past encouraged Betsy to feed straight from
the breast, but I understand that his is difficult for her.

Betsy replied:
It is not difficult. I just hate the feeling of a baby sucking on my
breast. I also hate the feeling of a pump sucking on my breast, but
marginally less.

difficult was a cover all term, I suppose I thought "hating the feeling" =
"difficult to to", I know in the worst part of my PND difficult was an
appropriate word, I couldn't bear him touching me, so it was difficult to
pick him up and latch him on rather than let someone give him a bottle.

Betsy, are you going to go back
and see about getting a different drug?

I am now on Remeron, which I absolutely love. However, they advised
against BF'ing on this particular drug because of the lack of studies. I
continue to feed Emily my milk though, because I am taking half of the
lowest dose possible. I am taking half of a 15mg tablet in the evening
and it is working great now. I'd rather have her on my breast milk for as
long as possible.

don't know anything about this drug, is it an SSRI?

Anne

Old January 27th 06, 09:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I am now on Remeron, which I absolutely love. However, they advised
against BF'ing on this particular drug because of the lack of studies. I
continue to feed Emily my milk though, because I am taking half of the
lowest dose possible. I am taking half of a 15mg tablet in the evening
and it is working great now. I'd rather have her on my breast milk for
as long as possible.

don't know anything about this drug, is it an SSRI?

Anne

Remeron is a "tetracyclic". (Most antidepressants are SSRIs or
"tricyclics".) SSRIs block the reuptake of serotonin, but Remeron blocks
the receptors that inhibit the release of serotonin and norepinephrin. So,
it sort of takes the brakes off the release of serotonin, resulting in more
serotonin in the synapses. SSRIs don't affect the release of serotonin, but
instead stop it from being "reabsorbed", which also results in higher levels
in the synapses. Two different ways of getting the same result, but each
works better for different people. It's been around awhile, but can have
more side effects than SSRIs so it's not used as much. IIRC it tends to
make people more drowsy than SSRIs.
Tricyclics work much the same way as SSRIs except that they also effect
norepinephrine, so if your depression is related to low norepinephrine
levels as well as serotonin, either Remeron or a tricyclic is probably going
to work better than an SSRI. Problem is, we don't have ways of measuring
which neurotransmitter you need more of, so the only way to tell is by which
medication works for you. Everybody gets to be their own guinea pig!
HTH,
Amy

Old January 27th 06, 10:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message

I don't blame BF/pumping on my depression, but it complicates
my current lifestyle.

I'm very sorry that breastfeeding and pumping didn't work out for you. That
must be one heck of a stash if you have enough milk for 5 months!!

I just have to say something in defense of breastfeeding here. IMO, it's not
breastfeeding and pumping that complicates your lifestyle, it's the new
addition to your life. A baby changes everything. Of course your lifestyle
has changed, you have added a human being to it! Even formula feeding
mothers have to make some sacrifices in their lifestyle for their baby.

I hope your PND gets better.

JennP.